Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 9

iOS 9
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2015, 10:06 AM

Waiting to see what breaks, who's going to be the sacrificial lamb?

Eh, WTH, I'll do it...
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 17, 2015, 05:31 PM

Nothing broken so far. Although I dislike what they've done to the Podcasts App. Maybe I was the only person who used the "On The Go" playlists, but "Up Next" isn't a real substitute.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2015, 06:01 PM

I like the Google Now-like panel, though I wish it had more customization options. The KB is much better now, too.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2015, 07:36 PM

I've updated, and so far it works great. (I have to subtract the flakiness from my iPhone 5, it suffered water damage last weekend in a torrential downpour.) I love the new font, although some letters on the keyboard look a bit odd because they protrude too much to the top. But readability is up, and it gives the whole OS a more modern look. I cannot use blockers as that is a 64 bit-only feature

I will order an iPhone 6S soon, though
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2015, 07:51 AM

The Vitasigns app for the Vitasigns scale/body composition analyzer on sale here a few months ago broke with the introduction of the public beta and still hasn't been fixed.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2015, 10:46 AM

So far all is good. I put it on an iPad 1 [edit: iPad Air v1] because that device is not enterprise-critical.

My iPhone 5s is enterprise-critical, so it stays on iOS 8. I pick up a reserved 128 GB 6s on the 25th which will come with iOS 9, and Apple can deal with any anomalies in the 5s to 6s transfer in the store. They pay lots of attention when selling you an $800 device.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Sep 23, 2015 at 01:02 PM. )

P
Sep 18, 2015, 11:04 AM

Is the iPad 1 still supported?

Anyway. I usually try out these releases by doing like SierraDragon above, putting it on the less critical iPad before the iPhone, but I'm going to London next week and wanted to use the new transit directions, so this time it is on both. Works fine so far.

I note that the "drag to move the pointer" doesn't work wth the keyboard split in two. Bummer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2015, 11:07 AM

I've had it running on the iPhone 5s for a week now, and have been very happy with it.

One constant source of annoyance was that documents attached to calendar event invitations wouldn't work properly, or only occasionally. That seems fixed.

I'm more excited for it on the iPad Air 2, but since I require that for work, I can't upgrade until Set List Maker is updated for iOS 9 compatibility. :drumsfingersondesk:

macboy7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2015, 12:23 PM

Using iOS 9 on my iPad Air 2 and everything seems okay except for one thing. In iMessage, if I delete the message thread on the right it now removes the name of the person I sent the message to (or that it can from) on the left side. It didn't used to do that under 8.4.1 and earlier. Anyone else seeing this?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2015, 02:05 PM

Oops. I meant iPad Air 1.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2015, 08:28 PM

HOLY SHIT.

I'd downloaded the update but not installed it yet.

I use the iPad with Set List Maker for sheets (we have a repertoire of about 250 songs in this project), and to switch patches in Mainstage on the Mac. I'd deferred the update, because SLM is officially adding iOS 9 compatibility only on the next update, due in the next two weeks or so.

Today, as I was playing a show, I looked down at the iPad after spending a minute or so turned away from it, and IT HAD DECIDED TO RUN THE UPDATE IN MID-SET!

I stood there, helplessly watching it verify the update and then reboot, with no option to cancel, as I thanked the gods that I had a paper setlist stuck on the controller keyboard and that I knew the rest of the songs in the set by heart, as I was scouring the patch list in Mainstage for the next few sounds I needed.

Holy. ****ing. Shit.

I'm FURIOUS.

(Everything went well.)

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2015, 07:41 PM

Assistive touch rotation lock not working. Worked perfectly on iOS 8 and iPhone 5. The menu comes up with the icons of the 4 possible screen positions but nothing happens when you tap on them. Tried it every possible way. Anyone else have this problem? Don't want to upgrade my other iPhones yet until this is resolved.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2015, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
HOLY SHIT.

I'd downloaded the update but not installed it yet.

I use the iPad with Set List Maker for sheets (we have a repertoire of about 250 songs in this project), and to switch patches in Mainstage on the Mac. I'd deferred the update, because SLM is officially adding iOS 9 compatibility only on the next update, due in the next two weeks or so.

Today, as I was playing a show, I looked down at the iPad after spending a minute or so turned away from it, and IT HAD DECIDED TO RUN THE UPDATE IN MID-SET!

I stood there, helplessly watching it verify the update and then reboot, with no option to cancel, as I thanked the gods that I had a paper setlist stuck on the controller keyboard and that I knew the rest of the songs in the set by heart, as I was scouring the patch list in Mainstage for the next few sounds I needed.

Holy. ****ing. Shit.

I'm FURIOUS.

(Everything went well.)
Harrowing.

That sounds like something, I dunno... Microsoft would do.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 05:13 AM

Yeah. Luckily, everything I use Set List Maker for appears to be working fine on iOS 9.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 11:50 AM

Any idea how it happened?

I have a bunch of iPad 2s which I would like if they didn't force update themselves past iOS 7.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 01:08 PM

What sucks is you need a way to move stuff in and out of SLM.

For my lighting rig, I felt the only truly safe option was to get the lighting control software on the iPad, and then that's it. The iPad is now dedicated solely to the rig.

Unless I discover some bug, it's never being plugged into another computer, never getting another system update, never getting another app update, and the only WiFi network it has the codes to is air gapped from the Internet.

Admittedly, this is more "mission critical". If anything in the chain breaks, lighting for the rest of the show is kaput.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Any idea how it happened?

I have a bunch of iPad 2s which I would like if they didn't force update themselves past iOS 7.
It was downloading the update, but not installing it, that screwed me, I think.

Anyway, played two (and a HALF!) shows since then with zero issues.

I love iOS 9 on the iPad. Cursor positioning alone is worth the price of admission.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2015, 05:04 PM

Okay, that makes me feel better. My iPad 2s are in perpetual "annoy me to download update" mode, but I just ignore it.

mindwaves
Sep 20, 2015, 05:12 PM

I don't have my iPad Air (1) with me right now, so I can't update it to iOS 9. Really want the true multitasking only available on the Air 2 and want to buy an Air 3, but really disappointing that it didn't get updated.

Thorzdad
Sep 22, 2015, 04:10 PM

I updated my iPad Air 1 this afternoon. I did it via iTunes v.11.4 (I'm still running 10.6.8) Everything went perfectly. A non-eventful upgrade.
However, once the update was completed and the iPad rebooted, iTunes threw the following error:

iTunes could not connect to this iPad. The session ID is missing.

And, now the iPad won't connect to my version of iTunes.
Nice little gotcha. Let you upgrade using one version of iTunes, but then lock it out once the upgrade is complete. Apple shouldn't let the upgrade happen if the version of iTunes handling it doesn't meet minimum requirements.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 07:29 PM

I don't think that's supposed to happen. No luck unplugging and replugging the iPad?

Thorzdad
Sep 22, 2015, 07:51 PM

Nope. Plugging the pad in now gives a more definite message saying my version of iTunes is incompatible with my iPad.

I guess I'm going to have to finally update my iMac. Thing is, I have a couple of small yet crucial apps that require Java 6, and do not work with newer versions. So, I guess I'll take the iMac up to Mavericks and hope. I'm assuming whatever version of iTunes is in Mavericks will work with iOS 9...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 08:00 PM

Yeah... that's dirty pool. In the past it's behaved correctly for me, i.e. it won't allow the iOS update without an updated iTunes.

Thorzdad
Sep 22, 2015, 08:39 PM

Dirty pool seems to be a worrying development with Apple.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 11:03 PM

This may actually be a bug. People are reporting it's only the iTunes iOS 9 which does this, the OTA version works fine.

People suffering this have done a DFU restore back to iOS 8, did the OTA iOS 9 update, and then had it work fine.

No promises.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 11:09 PM

Here's the Apple Discussion thread, which contains a link to a MacRumors thread also discussing it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7220039

Ain't no one ****s with my Google-Fu.

Thorzdad
Sep 23, 2015, 08:15 AM

Hmmmm...I think I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Well, I successfully downgraded my iPad following these directions. So far, so good.

I'll try the OTA iOS9 update a little later. Got work to do right now.

Thanks, again.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Sep 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 04:10 PM

My pleasure! I was slightly concerned I had dug it up too late.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 04:12 PM

I like it so far on 6 and Air 2, but there are far more random app crashes. Several a day at this point.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 05:38 PM

Curmudgeon response after two minutes.

Don't like the keyboard, and the wallet icon is ugly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 05:48 PM

****. ****. ****.

They broke triple tap to select a paragraph in Safari again.

**** you, Apple. **** you. Die in a ****ing fire you assholes.

Thorzdad
Sep 23, 2015, 09:32 PM

It's not just the triple-tap. Text selection in general is utterly buggered. Psychotic, even. Sometimes it works as it should, other times it either refuses to select any text at all, to it jumps to the top of the page, or it selects the entire paragraph.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 05:40 AM

Do people who like the new keyboard find individual lower case letters easier to differentiate than individual upper case ones?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 05:49 AM

To say something nice, memory handling seems vastly improved.

Thorzdad
Sep 24, 2015, 09:50 AM

So, after doing the downgrade-then-OTA-upgrade dance, I can confirm that my iOS 9 iPad does mount successfully in iTunes 11.4.

Apple pushed-out a 9.0.1 update yesterday, though. I'm thinking I should probably do it OTA as well. Just in case.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do people who like the new keyboard find individual lower case letters easier to differentiate than individual upper case ones?
I am still evaluating the whole upper/lower case thing. Either way it is reportedly easy to turn l/c characters off, but I like to give a new approach a chance for a while so I will leave it on on the iPad and on the new 6s (tomorrow!) for a few weeks just to see if it keeps offending me.

iOS 9 has been generally a very good thing so far on the iPad Air v1. I look forward to using it on the new 6s. The 5s stays on iOS 8 for now.

-Allen

Thorzdad
Sep 24, 2015, 02:29 PM

The new keyboard is still hard to get used to for me. That sudden switch from UC to LC is pretty startling, and makes me think for a second that I've done something wrong. I understand why they made the change, but I'm not convinced this was the most optimal solution.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 04:58 PM

I was taught the point of lower-case is it makes groups of letters (a/k/a words) more distinguishable, whereas a capital makes a single letter more distinguishable.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 25, 2015 at 08:19 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 06:20 PM

The "copy doesn't copy" bug is back, too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 08:16 AM

I feel like there's a noticeable battery improvement. 26% after 9 hours isn't bad with my use profile.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 04:27 PM

Swipe to go back and forward a page only works about 10% of the time.

Does Google **** up Android this much when they jump to the next confection?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 04:51 PM

Works consistently for me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 05:02 PM

In about three hours everything's getting dumped into a new phone, so hopefully that will clear up some of the issues I'm having.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 10:02 PM

Fixed the swipe problem at least.

Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2015, 11:38 AM

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 9 to solve a Contacts problem, which it did, but now my battery life is in freefall. Started out this morning with 100% charge, now, 2 hours later, with essentially no usage (no calls, no messages, no photos, no browsing, no email) it's down to 63% charge.

Doesn't seem right, you know?

Any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2015, 03:34 PM

Weird battery life issues aren't unheard of after an update. Usually it takes a restart (or two) to get the phone back to its old self again.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2015, 09:08 PM

I'm liking "Hey Siri" while driving. Very nice.

-t

Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2015, 09:22 PM

"Weird battery life issues aren't unheard of after an update. Usually it takes a restart (or two) to get the phone back to its old self again."

I'll try to be patient.

Thanks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2015, 09:46 PM

My understanding is lithium-ion battery percentages aren't determined directly. A "normal" battery slowly provides less voltage as it drains, so you can just measure the voltage and extrapolate. A Li-ion battery is designed to provide consistent voltage while draining, so the percentage provided is based on calculations of how fast the battery has drained in the past, rather than how much juice is actually left. If these calculations get off, you'll get bad estimates.

If this is what's causing the problem (it may not be), the solution is to let it drain as close to zero as you can handle, let it fully charge up, and then let it drain to zero again without recharging. This gives the estimation algorithm a full set of fresh data to work with.

As I said though, this may not be the problem.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2015, 03:27 AM

Due to the bump from the 6s, I won't be able to tell what's what anymore, but I'm still a little taken aback by how much better RAM usage was for the few days I used iOS 9.

Forum Links
Forum Rules