Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firmware patch for the Matshita UJ-815 drive!!!!

Firmware patch for the Matshita UJ-815 drive!!!! (Page 2)
juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
I'm assuming you were responding to my recent post. I've always used CD-R, not -RW, and have never been able to burn at better than 4x. I believe there is a thread about this somewhere and will look it up. Meantime, my question remains:

Has this firmware update fixed problems for people whose 1Ghz Ti SuperDrives can't burn CD-R at advertised speeds..

thanks
y.
If your Ti isn't burning at correct speed....

SEND IT IN!!!!!!

Since it came out in November last year, you can't be past your warranty yet. Run immediately to your nearest Apple store and/or call Apple and get that fixed before it's too late!
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
If your Ti isn't burning at correct speed....

SEND IT IN!!!!!!

Since it came out in November last year, you can't be past your warranty yet. Run immediately to your nearest Apple store and/or call Apple and get that fixed before it's too late!
I already tried sending it in and they told me they couldn't find a problem, but they also didn't record whether they ever tried max burning speed. I'll probably try again, though, since I've heard of other folks actually getting drives replaced in the interim. Though Apple seems hush-hush on actually acknowledging a problem..

But yeah, I guess I'll stop hijacking this thread. I'm not gonna try any firmware patches until I raise my voice at apple to get a new drive. Who knows, maybe I'll get an 815B <knocks on wood>

cheers,
y.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 16, 2003, 05:34 PM

So because there is now a downgrader as well, I went ahead and applied the D101 update. My results...

1) 16X CD-R:
2) 8X CD-RW: (Not tested.)
3) 2X DVD-R:
4) 1X DVD-RW:
5) DVD-RW trick in iDVD:
6) Quick erased DVD-RW:
7) Fully erased DVD-RW:
8) DVD-RAM read: Neither UDF 1.5 nor HFS+ format discs can be read. I'm using a Panasonic branded disc, which does work in OS X with this TiBook with a Panasonic DVD-Multi drive. Ironically, I can read even read HFS+ DVD-RAM discs with my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive on my PC (running MacDrive).
9) DVD-RAM write:
10) iTunes support: "Could not find your preferred disc burner. OK to use Matshita DVD-R UJ-815A (ATA) instead?" (Both the UJ-815 (italicized) and the "new" UJ-815A appear as options in the iTunes preferences, so I just switched to the UJ-815A option.)
11) Finder support:
12) Disk Copy support:

EDIT:

Quick erased DVD-RW worked with Sony media.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 20, 2003 at 10:18 PM. )

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2003, 06:10 PM

so does the 17 inch burn dvd's at 2 x my maunual says 1 x the upgade is not for the 1 7 inch right.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
so does the 17 inch burn dvd's at 2 x my maunual says 1 x the upgade is not for the 1 7 inch right.
I have a 17" and installed it. Works as advertised.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
I have a 17" and installed it. Works as advertised.
O so I do have to get the firmware upgrade as well for the 17 inch. Non of the forums or the articles never talked about the 17 inch doin it. So you do have to do it with the 17 inch right? the firmware upgrade.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 17, 2003, 12:55 AM

Has anyone tried the downgrader. I want to be able to downgrade back to DOCB just incase.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
Has anyone tried the downgrader. I want to be able to downgrade back to DOCB just incase.
I'd try it... but I don't need to

Everything I throw at it works great.
Alex

-----

iMacfan
Senior User
Aug 17, 2003, 07:05 AM

Does it downgrade to DOCB? Cynikal's site looks like it says DOC8.

David

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 09:25 AM

1) 16X CD-R (TDK 48x, Verbatim 48x and Memorex 16x media):
2) 8X CD-RW (TDK 10x Media):
3) 2X DVD-R (TDK 2x Media):
4) 1X DVD-RW (Sony Media):
5) Quick erased DVD-RW (Sony Media):
6) Fully erased DVD-RW (Sony Media):
7) iTunes support: "Could not find your preferred disc burner. OK to use Matshita DVD-R UJ-815A (ATA) instead?" (Both the UJ-815 (italicized) and the "new" UJ-815A appear as options in the iTunes preferences, so I just switched to the UJ-815A option.)
8) Finder support:
9) Disk Copy support:

Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 09:32 AM

I already tried sending it in and they told me they couldn't find a problem, but they also didn't record whether they ever tried max burning speed. I'll probably try again, though, since I've heard of other folks actually getting drives replaced in the interim. Though Apple seems hush-hush on actually acknowledging a problem..

But yeah, I guess I'll stop hijacking this thread. I'm not gonna try any firmware patches until I raise my voice at apple to get a new drive. Who knows, maybe I'll get an 815B <knocks on wood>

cheers,
y.
Is there an Apple store near you? Within 200 miles? Get in the car and make a day trip out of it!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
Does it downgrade to DOCB? Cynikal's site looks like it says DOC8.
D0CB I believe, but I haven't tried it.

b3t4
Aug 17, 2003, 01:51 PM

has anyone tried to burn an 800 mb cd with the patched superdrive? with firestarter or toast or whatever. any news about this????

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Is there an Apple store near you? Within 200 miles? Get in the car and make a day trip out of it!
I don't think there's an official Apple store anywhere near New Orleans (though there might be authorized repair centers..)

And I ride a bicycle.

thanks though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2003, 06:11 PM

-->

iTunes support: "Could not find your preferred disc burner. OK to use Matshita DVD-R UJ-815A (ATA) instead?" (Both the UJ-815 (italicized) and the "new" UJ-815A appear as options in the iTunes preferences, so I just switched to the UJ-815A option.)

( Last edited by Eug; Aug 17, 2003 at 06:27 PM. )

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 10:28 PM

I don't think there's an official Apple store anywhere near New Orleans (though there might be authorized repair centers..)

And I ride a bicycle.

thanks though.
Ride bike to car rental store. Rent a car. Drive to Houston. Visit the Galleria Apple store. Nice store there. Go to Taco Cabana and have lunch. Soak up some Texas "culture". Drive back t N.O. Drop off car. Ride bike home.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 10:30 PM

My point here is GET YOUR "BOOK FIXED BEFORE YOUR WARRANTY RUNS OUT BY WHATEVER MEANS POSSIBLE!

And yes, I was shouting.

G.

jasong
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 08:31 PM

Update from me: I just picked up some DVD-RW (CompUSA brand, $20 for 10 discs). I was able to use .Mac backup with it, and then do a quick erase in the Finder and then backup my Music Library to it.

These were the cheapest discs at CompUSA (Brighton, MA), anyone know of cheaper media that works with a hacked PowerBook?

-- Jason

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 19, 2003, 12:28 AM

Side effect noticed:

When I used to start up my 12" PB it makes the eject CD noise once.

Now it makes the eject CD noise then makes it again right afterwards.

Has anyone noticed this?

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2003, 02:15 PM

2) 8X CD-RW (TDK 10x Media):
I took the chance and updated my 12" PB last night. CD-RW (using a couple of TDK 4x-10x discs) still works and iTunes starts the countdown as if the drive burns at 8x, but it counts down at about half speed, still taking on the order of 15 minutes for an hour of music. Has anyone timed it to see if it's actually burning at 8x or is the drive just reporting the wrong speed? I plan to do an experiment with Toast to see if it's just inefficiency on iTunes' part.

I haven't tried DVD-R or DVD-RW yet (or even CD-R, but I'm not really concerned that it won't work).

todrain
Senior User
Aug 19, 2003, 08:27 PM

Toast now burns CDs at 16x.... almost too good to be true!

Thanks for the update! i just hope that Apple doesn't find a way to squash it! (Watch, the drive won't work in Panther, just like some RAM didn't after one of the firmware updates)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by TheBum:
I took the chance and updated my 12" PB last night. CD-RW (using a couple of TDK 4x-10x discs) still works and iTunes starts the countdown as if the drive burns at 8x, but it counts down at about half speed, still taking on the order of 15 minutes for an hour of music. Has anyone timed it to see if it's actually burning at 8x or is the drive just reporting the wrong speed? I plan to do an experiment with Toast to see if it's just inefficiency on iTunes' part.
Have you checked the write speed in the iTunes preferences?

Odd though - I haven't tried CD-RW yet, but if I try to burn a 1x DVD-R at 2x, it will give me half the time, but count it down at half speed, as well. Maybe the media are weird?

-s*

edwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 03:16 AM

Side effect noticed:

When I used to start up my 12" PB it makes the eject CD noise once.

Now it makes the eject CD noise then makes it again right afterwards.

Has anyone noticed this?

Same here, before there was only 1 eject noise now there are 2.. pretty strange, pretty scary the first time!

hope someone explain this

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 08:29 AM

Spheric Harlot, I also experienced the same thing. In toast I was able to select 2x, and it said 27 minutes remaining, but it actually took 54 minutes (liar's!). So I am wondering if it was the media as well. I used Imitation DVD-R's, but I do have an Apple 2X blank DVD left, but i want to save it for emergency.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by melman101:
Spheric Harlot, I also experienced the same thing. In toast I was able to select 2x, and it said 27 minutes remaining, but it actually took 54 minutes (liar's!). So I am wondering if it was the media as well. I used Imitation DVD-R's, but I do have an Apple 2X blank DVD left, but i want to save it for emergency.
Sorry, I failed to clarify:

That only happens when I use 1x media. Apple 2x media (what I normally use) actually does burn at 2x (27 minutes) - which rocks. I've been burning a lot more stuff lately.

-s*

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2003, 10:16 AM

Flashed my drive as well. Haven't burned anything yet, but procedurally, all went as expected.

The Imation DVD-R stuff is disappointing. I expected to get the "really 1x" burning problem with cheaper media, but I was hoping that since Imation is a name brand, it'd perform better..

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 10:22 AM

Yeah I tried the Imitation DVD-R's twice, once in disk copy, and once in Toast. Both times, it burned at 1x. I dont know what the deal is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by John123:
Flashed my drive as well. Haven't burned anything yet, but procedurally, all went as expected.

The Imation DVD-R stuff is disappointing. I expected to get the "really 1x" burning problem with cheaper media, but I was hoping that since Imation is a name brand, it'd perform better..
Apart from the price: IS IT RATED AT 2X?

If it doesn't say, it's 1x media, and regardless of price, 1x media will only burn at 1x.

-s*

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 11:51 AM

Yeah I checked my Imitation media right now, no saying on the package what speed it is. So its 1x like you said. Thats why :-)

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by melman101:
Yeah I tried the Imitation DVD-R's twice, once in disk copy, and once in Toast. Both times, it burned at 1x. I dont know what the deal is.
I had an entire 10 pack of Imations....

4 of them burned coasters.

It's not my drive, since I found some (hyperK or some cheap such) media at Microcenter that burns 10 out of 10 times (at least /w the 2 packs I've tried) and is significantly cheaper anyways.

Bottom line... Imation DVD-R media blows chunks.
Alex

-----

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 01:46 PM

And apparently iDVD doesn't burn to DVD-RW. I was able to get a DVD-RW mounted on the desktop but iDVD would just spit it out.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by RoofusPennymore:
And apparently iDVD doesn't burn to DVD-RW. I was able to get a DVD-RW mounted on the desktop but iDVD would just spit it out.
You have to stick in a DVD-R, start the encode, then eject the DVD-R and stick in a DVD-RW.

Works fine. I've already done it with this drive and DVD-RW.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 10:03 PM

So are there only 2 ppl that are experiancing the eject sound twice when they start up?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 10:22 PM

5) Quick erased DVD-RW (Sony Media):
So I bought a Sony DVD-RW, and now quick erasing works fine.

My previous attempt was with Pioneer DVD-RW.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 03:59 AM

So are there only 2 ppl that are experiancing the eject sound twice when they start up?
How many times have you restarted since then? Does it persist?

I'm thinking it might just have been an extra reset the first time due to the firmware upgrade.

-s*

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 21, 2003, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
How many times have you restarted since then? Does it persist?

I'm thinking it might just have been an extra reset the first time due to the firmware upgrade.

-s*
Yes it does persist.
I have shutdown like 5 times. Put the computer to sleep about 3 times but it still does it.

I was thinking about downgrading back to DOCB (or what ever the 12" was) and then upgrading back to D101.

However some dude over on the other boards says that it disable his bluetooth when he did that and I just want to make sure he isn't bsing. Could it be that my DVD drive is set to AU version? and not region 1 (or what ever the us is at).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 05:11 AM

Yes it does persist.
I have shutdown like 5 times. Put the computer to sleep about 3 times but it still does it.
You're right. Just put it to sleep and woke it up again - the sound repeats.

Hm.

Somewhere, a couple of Apple engineers are following this whole thing and banging their heads against the wall.

-s*

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 21, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

Somewhere, a couple of Apple engineers are following this whole thing and banging their heads against the wall.

-s*
LoL I can see it now.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 02:19 AM

This firmware update is fascinating but for now looks too buggy. I don't want my 12" to be making extra noises
Looking forward.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 03:56 AM

i have the repating action too on my pb12

is there someone out there (cynikal)
who can explain and if its harmful to
the drive?
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

NY152
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
So I bought a Sony DVD-RW, and now quick erasing works fine.

My previous attempt was with Pioneer DVD-RW.
Eug

Where in TO did you buy the Sony DVD-RW disks? I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks

NY152
<over-large signature edited by management>

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
Where in TO did you buy the Sony DVD-RW disks? I can't find them anywhere.
College street, in one of the many computer stores there. It was one store a few stores over from Computer Systems Centre, beside the store with the Shar Pei that always sits in the window.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 10:31 AM

So has anyone had any luck with DVD-RW media other than SONY Media?

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2003, 02:24 PM

Mine does it too.

carr7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 10:20 PM

So has anyone had any luck with DVD-RW media other than SONY Media?
I was able to quick and full erase CompUSA brand DVD-RW media. I was then able to 1 speed write 4Gig to it.

They are currently $20 for a 10 pack.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 03:06 AM

The drive doesn't go threw the start up sequence twice if you, do like a restart via ctrl, apple (what ever ppl call it now adays) powerbutton.

I find it kinda funny.

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 03:14 PM

Agghhh!!!

I tried to run cynical's new firmware updater on my uj815 which currently has the D100 revision (see lots of earlier threads which I can't now find about this) and it *still* says that "this computer does not require this upgrade".

Not fair!!! I've read everyone's glowing reports of the D101 upgrade and was drooling.

Well hacked off...

A.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by AirforceRed:
Agghhh!!!

I tried to run cynical's new firmware updater on my uj815 which currently has the D100 revision (see lots of earlier threads which I can't now find about this) and it *still* says that "this computer does not require this upgrade".

Not fair!!! I've read everyone's glowing reports of the D101 upgrade and was drooling.

Well hacked off...

A.
You could always try the D0CB downgrader and then the D101 upgrader. I have no idea, though, if the downgrader would mess up the drive, so try it at your own risk.

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 04:23 PM

You could always try the D0CB downgrader and then the D101 upgrader. I have no idea, though, if the downgrader would mess up the drive, so try it at your own risk.
Tried that already - says the same thing,

A.

iMacfan
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 06:26 AM

Just a quick question: Will the update screw around with my region setting - just that I'm in the UK and don't want to end up with a region 1 only drive!

Thanks,

David

Forum Links
Forum Rules