Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Happy with iBlog?

Happy with iBlog?
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 06:24 PM

Anyone using iBlog? I downloaded it after it became a freebie w/my .Mac service, but have yet to really put it through its paces.

Anyone have a page they'd like to share? If not here, feel free to PM me. I'd love to see what some of you are doing w/this software.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 06:29 PM

http://www.perseus.com/blogsurvey/

"66.0% of surveyed blogs had not been updated in two months, representing 2.72 million blogs that have been either permanently or temporarily abandoned. Apparently the blog-hosting services have made it so easy to create a blog that many tire-kickers feel no commitment to continuing the blog they initiate. In fact, 1.09 million blogs were one-day wonders, with no postings on subsequent days. The average duration of the remaining 1.63 million abandoned blogs was 126 days (almost four months). A surprising 132,000 blogs were abandoned after being maintained a year or more (the oldest abandoned blog surveyed had been maintained for 923 days). ..."

In other words, blogging is not popular any more. You missed the hype.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 6, 2003, 06:35 PM

Blogging was never popular. Especially personal blogs. Nobody wants to hear about other people's boring life stories.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 06:38 PM

I keep a blog, mostly as an outlet and to keep my scattered family up to date:
http://www.sparkpod.com/zizban

Nottin' exciting there, though.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ambush
Banned
Oct 6, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Blogging was never popular. Especially personal blogs. Nobody wants to hear about other people's boring life stories.
Unsanity.org is a good example of a successful blog...

And it incorporates personal life and coding/apps.

I have a blog, but it's mostly private.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 6, 2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Unsanity.org is a good example of a successful blog...

And it incorporates personal life and coding/apps.

I have a blog, but it's mostly private.
Company blogs are mostly succesful. Personal blogs aren't.

Hyatt's blog was good...but he's slowed the pace to a crawl.

PerversionTracker's blog is excellent.

John Smith's blog is a disaster...not to mention boring.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 07:00 AM

In other words, blogging is not popular any more. You missed the hype.
Unlike your average teenager jumping on a fad, I'm not looking to do what's "popular," I have a good use for wanting to find a great and user-friendly blogging utility.

My second child is due early next year and I want to do a website I can update often, quickly and easily in order to keep out of town relatives and friends updated. For my daughter, I created a site using .Mac's templates... But I want something even easier.

My daughter's site was beautiful, but somewhat time consuming. I'll do it that way again if I have to, but just want to check out any possible alternatives.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 07:08 AM

...and what's this RSS business I see on every blog site?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
...and what's this RSS business I see on every blog site?
It's an XML feed of the site's content. That way you can read a site without having to actually go to it with a web browser. I keep about 150 sites in my RSS newsreader, and get immediate notificiation that they've been updated.

iBlog is a nice little thing, but it's really, really limited when compared to the serious tools like Moveable Type or pMachine. I've used both on my site, and liked both. I only switched to Moveable Type by accident (long story).

I use iBlog to keep my lecture notes online for my students, but I don't like it that I can't sync up my blogs between two computers, so I'm taking that slowly.

Cheers
Scott

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 04:20 PM

Yes. I have tried to use iBlog, but my life hasn't become any more interesting at all.
What crappy software!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 08:19 PM

I like iBlog okay. It would be nice if you could update it from a web interface or something, but other than that, I like it a lot.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 08:55 AM

Personal blogs are only interesting to the people that know you. I don't need to know what Joe Blow did today.

Back on topic, I have issues with iBlog. MoveableType is all-around a better system, and since it's on the web, you can use it under Mac or Windows (or anything else for that matter). Better still, I can use MT from more than one Mac. I don't like being locked into using one app on one machine for web-based work.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Personal blogs are only interesting to the people that know you. I don't need to know what Joe Blow did today.

Back on topic, I have issues with iBlog. MoveableType is all-around a better system, and since it's on the web, you can use it under Mac or Windows (or anything else for that matter). Better still, I can use MT from more than one Mac. I don't like being locked into using one app on one machine for web-based work.

Mike
You can also install MT (or pMachine) on your Mac. Very handy, I think.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:24 AM

I used to Blog years ago before the term was even invented. I hardly ever continued it for more than a week. I reasoned it was for people with Attention Deficit Disorder or for voyeurs.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 12:26 PM

Check out the iBlog webring: http://w.webring.com/hub?ring=ibloggers
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules