Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug List For 10.3

Bug List For 10.3 (Page 3)
mosch
Oct 27, 2003, 12:29 PM

If you want top to not clear the screen, you can run 'top -l1' (that's a lowercase L, and the numeral one) It shoves out one screenful of top output and goes away.

As a unix guy, I really like that they switched to xterm-color.

mcalmus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 12:36 PM

When using the Universal Access Zoom feature, the mouse cursor (and consequently the screen) moves to menu title bars and other areas in different apps. The most obvious example is to use System Preferences. Zoom o the window roughly fills the screen. Clicking any item moves the screen around. Clicking Show All moves it again. FWIW, Apple Tech Support thought it was very odd too.

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 01:56 PM

Get Info now remembering the position of disclosure triangles for the window...

Get Info not remembering the position of the "Details:" disclosure under "Ownership & Permissions:"...

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
more...
can't get the trash to retain settings (ie a non-column window...)

wish there was a pref pane for the application switcher.

having fun with command-tab; would be nice to change it's size, or behaviors (ie selecting an app could maximize it's window from the dock...)
I can [get the trash to work right]
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 02:22 PM

Networking is the biggest problem I've run into, but that's covered in another thread. One thing I haven't seen about that, which is probably a "feature" is that when you browse through Network to another Panther system (maybe any OS X system? dunno), you are not allowed to browse your home folder through the /Users/ of the remote system. You can browse home just fine through its own volume, but if you go through /Users/ the home folder of the account with which you logged in is locked. Goofy? Yes.

When my roommate installed his copy, he found his desktop was stuck on the "icons snap to grid" option, or whatever it was called. The weird things: 1.) He hadn't used this ever under Jaguar, 2.) There's no way to turn it off in Panther? Those options of keeping icons in icon view snapped or arranged don't seem to be anywhere I could find them, so we couldn't turn it off. Trashing the Finder prefs fixed it for him, but this was very odd.

I don't personally miss the omitted icon arrangement options, but why would they take them out but leave support for them in the Finder? Or am I just missing where they are?

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
The downside is that with vt100 you can't get color directory listings. With xterm-color, if you do an 'ls -G' you'll see all sorts of pretty colors now :-)
The upside is that I can use the scroll bar instead of the arrow keys to go back in man pages, and they don't disappear from the window if I inadvertently space past the end.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 02:26 PM

icon pinning after logging out or soemtimes when You use live user switching. the Drive icon is in the upper right corner to start after log out it moves. this is after I did a clean install. I haven't noticing it happening as much when you use live user switching though I have seen it a couple of times
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
When my roommate installed his copy, he found his desktop was stuck on the "icons snap to grid" option, or whatever it was called. The weird things: 1.) He hadn't used this ever under Jaguar, 2.) There's no way to turn it off in Panther? Those options of keeping icons in icon view snapped or arranged don't seem to be anywhere I could find them, so we couldn't turn it off. Trashing the Finder prefs fixed it for him, but this was very odd.

I don't personally miss the omitted icon arrangement options, but why would they take them out but leave support for them in the Finder? Or am I just missing where they are?
Click on the desktop, select "Show View Options" from the "View" menu.

"Snap to grid" is still an option there.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by himself:
You have to deselect it in the Finder Preferences.
When I drug it out, it deselected it for me. I think it's a bug if it doesn't drag out properly.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 02:42 PM

i think i've noticed my dock icons don't bounce as smooth. I'm not sure if i thought that due to my own tiredness.

I did a clean install on my RevA PB17, and no real problems at all.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 03:11 PM

-Well I can't activate the firewall either after upgrading.

-Also, my mail icon changes to the netmonitor icon every once and a while. I don't know what causes it but it changes back when i close the app.

-I also I have the sleep bug. Sometimes my computer won't wake completely from sleep and i have to reboot.

sray
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 03:55 PM

After upgrading to 10.3, my Dual G4 refused to let me toggle the firewall. The iBook didn't have this problem.

After calling AppleCare, a simple PRAM reset fixed the firewall problem.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 04:07 PM

Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere. After using Expose after so many times the Dock will lock up, Expose will not work. The Dock will be sucking up every available CPU. I can Use the Activity Viewer to kill the dock but it keeps coming sucking up the CPU cycles.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by sray:
After upgrading to 10.3, my Dual G4 refused to let me toggle the firewall. The iBook didn't have this problem.

After calling AppleCare, a simple PRAM reset fixed the firewall problem.
I have the firewall problem also. My PowerBook does not. I have tried the 'sudo' command above and resetting the PRAM. Still give me the same error message.

ticedric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 06:03 PM

I loged out and when I loged back in, everything was like a new user and my "file vault" was a disc image that I could open with y password. I loged out and back in again and everything was back to normal...freaky.

I've also experienced freezing with mail and Safari.
17 2.16 MBP with 2 GB RAM
G4 400 tower
Emac 1.0 Combo

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 06:57 PM

2 problems I cannot resolve since upgrading, that are really annoying.
1. The 'action' keys on my Apple pro keyboard no longer work (the volume keys, CD/DVD eject key).
Ok I just found out that you have to properly uninstall USB Overdrive to get them working (just removing the stuff doesn't work)
2. My e-mails no longer appear in the preview pane in Mail. But if I double click the messages in the list, the appear fine in the newly opened window.
(Nobody else seams to have had this, cant find it anywhere)

Stuff that I could manage to ignore.
My logitec (MX700) mouse-tracking it also royally messed up (removing USB Overdrive properly fixed this too). The 'disk size' bit on the disk names is also in a really nasty (non smoothed) font, different to the disk titles (reduce the font smoothing limit = Fix). I cant seam to get 'Fuzzy Clock' to open on the far right of the menu bar.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:28 PM. )

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 06:58 PM

sounds stupid, but in Jaguar if you hide a program (apple+h), then switched to another one by selecting it via the mouse and afterwards you pressed apple+tab again to switch back - your first selection was the hidden program ... not anymore in Panther

First I thought it is a nice "feature" in jaguar. Looks like it was just an accident ...
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
I don't believe this was supposed to stay in Sherlock. Oops.

I don't have that bug. Perhaps you are (or were) using a development build.


Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by cgc:

1. The Apple in the Apple Menu is smaller in the Finder than it is in Applications.
I cannot confirm this one. The Apple remains a fixed size for me.


SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 10:58 PM

Multiple windows open in the Finder, behind other open application windows.

Click the desktop to make the Finder active and do command-N to make a new window.

The window is created, but the top-most window in the Finder's window order is brought to the top too.

Never used to work this way, and I can see no good reason for it to do so now. Kind of blows the interleaved window concept to have app windows popping up seemingly at random.

me17213
Oct 28, 2003, 12:11 AM

When opening up a contextual menu from the dock (such as if you had your applications folder in the dock for quick access), move your mouse down the list slowly to selct an item. If you look closely at the icons some of them will be drawen wrong when highlighted or not drawen. This seems to only apply to alias icons though (the ones with the little arrow in the lower left corner of the icons).

Also, Expos� draws rectangles around windows rather than being a seemless highlight around the window. To see this highlight a window while in Expos� and look at the top corners and you'll see that it is square and not rounded. small and simple but annoying after you notice it.
( Last edited by me17213; Oct 28, 2003 at 12:16 AM. )

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 04:20 AM

About contextual menus from the dock - I have my hard drive in there and it shows an alias to 'Network' in the list, for whatever reason.. it doesn't appear in the normal window. However, now that Network works understandably, I can see this being useful so it may have been intentional. I don't see the wrongly drawn icons, so far.

Anyway, I was creating a zip archive earlier and it said 'copying xxx of 78.9 MB.' This went up to a total of 117 of 78.9MB - interesting.

I'm also finding that with application switching you now have to click in a window once you bring it to the front before you can type in it some of the time, which can be annoying.

Also after upgrading to 10.3, I can't print to the printer we use at university - apparently it has a problem with lp queues .

Other than that panther is great, just the small issues that others have been talking about - mostly finder-related but it's not surprising given the size of the change to that.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
Thanks, but please this is a bug report forum. Not a place for identifying work-around for the bugs. No offense

There are probably at 5 other methods to go up in the file hierarchy (click directly on the Computer icon would be the quickest, your solution works too of course, or cmd-up arrow click on a file just to mention a few).

But in previous versions of Column view you could stup down or up from wherever to wherever with the arrow keys. If this bug/feature stays you will need more mouse/key clicks to achieve the same thing.

Fitt's law anyone?
It's not a bug - it's actually the main new feature in Finder mentioned by Jobs.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2003, 08:23 AM

this is a silly bug :/

happens when you have the clock positioned there and select any other app than the clock.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Thor
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Thor:
Mail 1.3:

You cannot select e-mail addresses in the headers of messages for copy & paste. ?!

Originally posted by stoneage:
Just click once on the addy. It will highlight; then Edit/Copy or Control/C. If you click and hold more options show up.
This doesn't let me select a PART of the addy... i.e just the domain name.

Hoosier_1701
Oct 28, 2003, 11:40 AM

There seems to be a bug in the Windows file sharing service. I enabled this yesterday and tested connecting from my Win2K laptop. Everything worked great. However, after turning off Windows file sharing, I can still connect from the Win2K box. I tried turning on the Panther firewall (without checking any of the boxes to allow certain services), and I can STILL connect from the Win2K box. It doesn't seem like there is any way to truly lock out the windows (SMB) file sharing.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:24 PM

Totally clean install of Panther. Formatted drive, wrote zeros, etc.

1. Soldier of Fortune...installed several times and then it dissappears from the hard drive.

2. Finder Windows don't remember View Options. Organize by labels does not work.

3. Backup 1 did not work. Backup beta does.

4. Mac-Windows ethernet networking: WinXP box could see Mac but not vice versa.

5. Mac-Windows Airport networking: could not get it to work.

6. Printing on my inkjet HP printer happens backwards; page 2 prints before page 1.

I am sure I will find others.....
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
6. Printing on my inkjet HP printer happens backwards; page 2 prints before page 1.

Colated printing isn't on by default by any chance is it?
(this sort of printing is good for anything with loads of pages that you may want to fastern together)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Colated printing isn't on by default by any chance is it?
(this sort of printing is good for anything with loads of pages that you may want to fastern together)
Yes, you are correct. I created a custom Preset and now it works. Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Totally clean install of Panther. Formatted drive, wrote zeros, etc.

1. Soldier of Fortune...installed several times and then it dissappears from the hard drive.

2. Finder Windows don't remember View Options. Organize by labels does not work.

3. Backup 1 did not work. Backup beta does.

4. Mac-Windows ethernet networking: WinXP box could see Mac but not vice versa.

5. Mac-Windows Airport networking: could not get it to work.

No offense to you, but I find most problems with SMB networking are errors configuring it on the Windows side. Also make very sure they're on the same subnet (check your DHCP lease and such on Windows). I've ripped my hair out before due to problems getting Windows file sharing to work, and the problems have been 99% Windows configuration errors.

Not to say Panther with its wizbang new Network icon might not be at fault, but make sure up and down that the Windows end is okay.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
No offense to you, but I find most problems with SMB networking are errors configuring it on the Windows side. Also make very sure they're on the same subnet (check your DHCP lease and such on Windows). I've ripped my hair out before due to problems getting Windows file sharing to work, and the problems have been 99% Windows configuration errors.

Not to say Panther with its wizbang new Network icon might not be at fault, but make sure up and down that the Windows end is okay.
None taken. You are probably right. I will check it out. Thanks.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 06:05 PM

I have an issue now where whenever I try toopen a folder, I get the dialog to enter my username and password to connect to my webserver machine over my network. Opening the hard drive icon does this, so does any folde ron my desktop, and so does creating a New Finder Window.

What the hell is going on!? I can't DO anything. I booted the Panther CD and ran Disk Util and repaired the drive and permissions as well - no errors found. Fsck, too. It's telling me nothing is wrong, but something surely is...

Wehn I enter the correct username/password for the server, it beachballs. When I click Cancel, it beachballs. If I *leave it alone for 10 seconds* with the dialog open, the Finder beachballs.

10.3.1 better be very very soon.

Edit: Even Open... dialogs from other apps do the same thing! I want my computer back :-(

Update: rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
Did I ever mention how much I love the Terminal?
( Last edited by macgyvr64; Oct 28, 2003 at 06:41 PM. )

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 06:24 PM

Hmmm..all of a sudden I can't fsck -y. I installed the new security update and restarted. I wanted to run fsck -y, then repair permissions It says something about root and try a -f command. I have no idea what that means. Have to shut down. When I do this I now get a white screen then a folder with a ? in it. Then the ? goes away and it starts up normally, I guess.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by stoneage:
Hmmm..all of a sudden I can't fsck -y. I installed the new security update and restarted. I wanted to run fsck -y, then repair permissions It says something about root and try a -f command. [...]
Is it asking you to do -f because the drive is journalled?

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Is it asking you to do -f because the drive is journalled?
Nice catch!! Yes it is. What did I do to have that happen? And how should I proceed? Thanks.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 07:38 PM

Journalling is a good thing. If you really want to check, though, do:

/sbin/fsck -yf

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
I've noticed that drag selecting several items on the desktop and trying to drag them somewhere (anywhere) causes the finder to relaunch. It does this on both my iMac and iBook.
That was happening too on my Powermac. If you go to "View Options" and turn off "show item details" (I don't remember exactly what it's called.. you know: the option where it will tell you how many files are in a folder), the finder will stop crashing.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

posthumous
Oct 28, 2003, 09:25 PM

I already submitted this to Apple, but I'm wondering if any of you are having this issue.

I have a 667 Mhz DVI Powerbook g4. I recently upgraded to Panther. Here is my problem:

If you go into Keychain access and select 'view' from the menu and 'show status in the menu bar' you will then have a lock in the menu bar. Fantastic, now I can lock my screen. I go to lock the screen and I get the 'flurry' screensaver. Hmmm, I thought I had 'computer name' screensaver selected...

I go into system prefs, change the screen-saver back to 'computer name' and close system prefs. Great, now I lock the screen again and the screen-saver went back to 'flurry'. I go back into system prefs only to find that the screen-saver was set to 'flurry'.

To confirm that screen-saver changes were sticking, I changed the screen-saver back to 'computer name' and closed system preferences and dragged the pointer into a screen-saver hot corner to activate the screen-saver. The screen-saver changes had stuck and it displayed the 'computer name' screen-saver.

Now, I click on the lock in the menu bar and lock the screen. Once again 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver. I input my password to get back in, position the cursor in the bottom right corner to activate the screen-saver and 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver, NOT 'computer name' has I had set previously.

Is anyone else experiencing this or can anyone replicate this?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 10:50 PM

After rebooting upon installation of the 10.3 Security Patch (avail. via Software Update), my font smoothing was set to Standard - CRT, not Medium - LCD (I use an LCD, and it's always been set to LCD). Also, user sound effects had been enabled. It was previously disabled.
Weird. Easy to fix, but weird.


macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by posthumous:
[...] Now, I click on the lock in the menu bar and lock the screen. Once again 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver. I input my password to get back in, position the cursor in the bottom right corner to activate the screen-saver and 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver, NOT 'computer name' has I had set previously.
You could always duplicate and rename the computer name screen saver module in the system....

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
After rebooting upon installation of the 10.3 Security Patch (avail. via Software Update), my font smoothing was set to Standard - CRT, not Medium - LCD (I use an LCD, and it's always been set to LCD). Also, user sound effects had been enabled. It was previously disabled.
Weird. Easy to fix, but weird.
I have had this change back to CRT a couple of times in Panther after restart (and it has only been four days). I think it is just one of those things that 'doesn't stick' like the international settings in 10.2 - and as those would still change for no reason sometimes in 10.2.8, I'm not holding my breath for this to change - but it is rather annoying!

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by posthumous:
I already submitted this to Apple, but I'm wondering if any of you are having this issue.

I have a 667 Mhz DVI Powerbook g4. I recently upgraded to Panther. Here is my problem:

If you go into Keychain access and select 'view' from the menu and 'show status in the menu bar' you will then have a lock in the menu bar. Fantastic, now I can lock my screen. I go to lock the screen and I get the 'flurry' screensaver. Hmmm, I thought I had 'computer name' screensaver selected...

I go into system prefs, change the screen-saver back to 'computer name' and close system prefs. Great, now I lock the screen again and the screen-saver went back to 'flurry'. I go back into system prefs only to find that the screen-saver was set to 'flurry'.

To confirm that screen-saver changes were sticking, I changed the screen-saver back to 'computer name' and closed system preferences and dragged the pointer into a screen-saver hot corner to activate the screen-saver. The screen-saver changes had stuck and it displayed the 'computer name' screen-saver.

Now, I click on the lock in the menu bar and lock the screen. Once again 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver. I input my password to get back in, position the cursor in the bottom right corner to activate the screen-saver and 'flurry' comes up as the screen-saver, NOT 'computer name' has I had set previously.

Is anyone else experiencing this or can anyone replicate this?
A similar thing happened to me in Jaguar. not flurry but marinaquarium would come on everytime, even if another screensaver was selected.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 08:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
I've noticed that drag selecting several items on the desktop and trying to drag them somewhere (anywhere) causes the finder to relaunch. It does this on both my iMac and iBook.

That was happening too on my Powermac. If you go to "View Options" and turn off "show item details" (I don't remember exactly what it's called.. you know: the option where it will tell you how many files are in a folder), the finder will stop crashing.

me too...& i still cannot get the trash folder to retain settings (ie icon view, no toolbar)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 11:49 AM

If I drag a picture from iPhoto on top of a folder on the desktop, and then have it spring-load open, then drop it, Finder exits & restarts. The file's copied no problem, so this is a minor quibble.

christophe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:40 PM

I don t know if this has been submitted before. Sorenson 3.1 pro is broken under panther. Confirmed by calling Sorenson tech support. They said a 2 to 3 weeks before a fix.
'Go with Mac my Son, be safe from Evil'
Knight of the Holy Church of Macintosh

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 10:00 PM

I read that Apple pulled the Safari download after reports of it crashing with Panther. Well, the download is back - anyone having problems with Safari now?
this sig intentionally left blank

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 01:27 AM

Spoke with Apple employee about the fact that my early ice book using panther will not give the cube action when switching users. This needs later version of video card. (time to purchase newer iBook?)

Harry

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 07:32 AM

"anyone having problems with Safari now?"

Just PO'd that PithHelmet isn't available in Panther yet.

Kate
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 12:35 PM

Anyone experiencing probs with the firewall under Panther try this in the terminal:

sudo ipfw flush

enter passwort and answer y(es) to confirm.
After that the settings pref pane should work as expected.

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
Anyone experiencing probs with the firewall under Panther try this in the terminal:

sudo ipfw flush

enter passwort and answer y(es) to confirm.
After that the settings pref pane should work as expected.
Does it help with this? iTunes (port 3689) is open and shut at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules