Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade for Mac

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade for Mac
s0litude
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 03:55 PM

Hey all, anyone else really excited about this? I can't wait. I remember hearing about WoW and then getting invited to the closed beta test for it when the level limit was 30. I can't believe how much this game has evolved since then. Here's to hoping that Blizz will need some Mac beta testers! Either way, I can't wait.
Hi!

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 10:45 PM

I stopped playing long ago.

Altair
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 10:48 PM

And I just started playing
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Rumor
Aug 25, 2006, 07:41 PM

Thought about playing, but I really like the diversity of NWN. That and NWN doesn't have a monthly fee.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 25, 2006, 09:28 PM

As much as I loved playing WoW from the day it was first released to May last year, I couldn't justify paying over 20 CDN dollars for the level of service Blizzard provided and the amount of changes in the game.

A year ago, the game still felt like it was a beta. Lots of bugs, lots of frustrating moments with lag.

When I stopped playing, Blizzard had started revising every class and added Battlegrounds. Things apparently didn't improve...and the class revision was an blatant admission of balance problems and bugs.

Blizzard+Vivendi must be rolling in their cash right now. The amount of cash for what they offer is unproportional. People are getting gyped.

That said...WoW was still one of the most enjoyable game I've played (if we exclude the bugs, lag issues, balance problems)...but to go as far as shelling out 240 dollars a year on a product that, frankly, didn't evolve in terms of interesting post-60 solo content or bug fixes (trust me, the rogue class has been broken since November 2004)...I don't think any of my bug reports ever got read.

I remember complaining about the rogue 'vanish' bugs almost a year an half ago...and people are still complaining about it today on the rogue forums.

I might take another look at WoW when Burning Crusade is out...but Blizzard will have to do a lot more to win my heart when it comes to WoW.

A distinction must be made between Blizzard and the Mac programmers at Blizzard. The Mac programmers aren't responsible for the bugs I'm talking about. I've never had any Mac specific issues so, IMO, Barris, Stiles and co. are doing an excellent job. I also drop by the Mac support forums every once and awhile and Barris seems extremely helpful and the Mac team seems to have sorted a lot of performance problems (with Apple.)

My beef is not with the Mac programmers. Only with Blizzard overcharging for WoW. When, 2 years later, there is still lag and there are still huge glaring bugs, you gotta wonder where the money is going. Certainly not towards better servers, more bandwidth, or more quality control.

Me and WoW/Blizzard...it's a love/hate relationship. I really want to play WoW but I always stop myself when I think about how my money is just going down the drain.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 26, 2006, 08:05 AM

I still love Blizzard, btw...Blizzard has been the most loyal game devs in the history of Macs. And their Mac support is beyond amazing (porting to OS X some older OS 9 games, UB'ing WoW, etc.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 01:30 PM

From what I've heard, Vivendi leeches off a big chunk of the profits from WOW.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 28, 2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
From what I've heard, Vivendi leeches off a big chunk of the profits from WOW.
That's what I thought...I also bet Vivendi was responsible for pushing WoW out before it was ready. The early lag problems, the glaring bugs, etc. were probably the result of Vivendi forcing Blizzard to release WoW before Christmas. I bet Blizzard would have wanted a bit more time on this.

The public beta lasted, what, 2 weeks at most...if that. I'm not even sure Blizzard could get any meaningful feedback within that time frame. Something tells me that Vivendi just wanted Blizzard to release the damn thing.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 08:59 AM

I'm really really getting tired of the game. To the point where I'm about to quit, for the second time. The lack of solo-content endgame is really really sad. I've got a TON of time on my main 60 tank, and running MC/BWL/AQs over and over again with my guild has lost it's luster. Yeah, I know there's Naxx, that's new, but again it requires 40 people. I've got a few other 60s and several other alts, and the only class I haven't played to 40 is a druid, so it's not like I don't know what the other classes have to offer. Tanking is the most fun for me.

I'm waiting on the BC expansion before deciding anything.

s0litude  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 11:01 AM

I still enjoy the game and my guild, which fields 45-50 people on raid nights is looking forward to BC. Having to field only 25 for newer post xpac raids will be awesome because we do have that core group of people that log on each and every raid.

One of the more enjoyable aspects of wow is meeting up with friends and levelling up and I think that's what BC will do for 60-70. The prospect of new races, new classes available to either faction, and new spells, is something that I'm looking forward to.

PS. I think rogue vanish was fixed 1.12.
Hi!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by wowway1
I'm really really getting tired of the game. To the point where I'm about to quit, for the second time. The lack of solo-content endgame is really really sad. I've got a TON of time on my main 60 tank, and running MC/BWL/AQs over and over again with my guild has lost it's luster. Yeah, I know there's Naxx, that's new, but again it requires 40 people.
The expansion seems to be focused on exactly this sort of mindset. There appears to be a lot of focus on things you can do yourself and with smaller groups
Chuck
___

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 02:34 PM

In my experience, the connection issues and bugs kind of turn me off from it. Also, the game is extremely easy; anyone with a lot of time can succeed in the game (you can basically solo to 60 if you wanted). And you find lots of immature kids playing. This is coming from Final Fantasy XI, much more difficult MMO that takes many more hours to experience everything. The one thing I do like about WoW though is that you can get on for 20-30 minutes at a time and actually get stuff done, as opposed to setting aside a 3-4 hour chunk of time to do something in FFXI.

Oh yeah, and I wish they made WoW for consoles.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2006, 03:18 PM

I don't think requiring more time is a good thing. I barely have enough for WOW.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2006, 04:52 PM

By the way, new talents and spells announced today. They're all freakin' awesome. And mages get a really weird, possibly useless kind of invisibility.
Chuck
___

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 28, 2006, 05:46 PM

Indeed...I've been looking at the new talents and spells and it should bring more variety into the game. I'm such a sucker that I'll probably buy BC.

mr. burns
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 09:26 PM

i'm excited about the different shaman talent trees being made more raid viable. my only 60 is a shaman and i never made him with the intention of only being a second class healbot. i made a hybrid to have multiple rolls. i pvp a lot so i've always been 30 elemental spec with the rest in resto for nature's swiftness, and the guild lets me keep that spec because i have a totally different set of armor for healing, and i heal well. because i don't have mana tide, they just put me in a melee group so i can drop strength/windfury totems and they love me.

but now with the expansion talents i'll actually be able to dps on stuff other than trash mobs and i'll be able to buff the other casters in my group with a 10% spell crit and 100+ damage totem. that new elemental talent that gives x mana/5 based on intellect is really going to be great for boss fights. our mana inefficiency was the only thing holding us back. i can keep up with mages and warlocks on trash but in long fights, forget it, i just heal. now we'll be able to do damage and heal like a true hybrid.

not all who wander are lost.

s0litude  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
By the way, new talents and spells announced today. They're all freakin' awesome. And mages get a really weird, possibly useless kind of invisibility.
The new talents and spells do indeed look promising. Rumors about the hunter changes have me worried for my raiding hunter though. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Anyone here in closed beta??
Hi!

shoma79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 07:18 PM

Indeed...I've been looking at the new talents and spells and it should bring more variety into the game. I'm such a sucker that I'll probably buy BC.
( Last edited by blizzard; Sep 30, 2006 at 01:42 AM. )

s0litude  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 10:27 AM

I've been reading some really cool things about BC, especially from what's being talked about by alpha testers and such, I truly can't wait. I wonder if Blizz needs beta testers for the Mac version heheheh.
Hi!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 12:05 PM

I'm totally getting it. Have it on pre-order.

dilbottehrobort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 02:37 PM

I played for a year, then havent played for a while, and i was just going to get BC just for shits and giggles. I might play it for a while, you never know.
17" 2.0Ghz C2D iMac, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, x1600.
1.83Ghz C2D MacBook, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD
30GB 5G iPod White.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 01:50 PM

I'm really really tired of WoW. 135 days played on my main tank, I'm just a little burned out on the game. There's only so many times you can raid MC and BWL and AQ40 (yeah, I know, there's Naxx, we're in there too, just same old stuff different day.)

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by wowway1
I'm really really tired of WoW. 135 days played on my main tank, I'm just a little burned out on the game. There's only so many times you can raid MC and BWL and AQ40 (yeah, I know, there's Naxx, we're in there too, just same old stuff different day.)
I got to the same point (80 days on my main tank, ran MC so many times I couldn't see straight). So I rolled a mage to 60. Then I rolled a hunter to 60.

There are two people in my guild with 6 level 60s each. Both of them are basically doing nothing but PvP until BC comes out. I'm doing the same with my hunter.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

s0litude  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 05:19 PM

Well now that the NDA has been lifted I've been hearing some pretty amazing things about BC. Did anyone get into closed beta? Barris hook us up!!! We'll make sure the game is working great for the Mac client. Haha <3
Hi!

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2006, 05:21 PM

Our guild recieved 25 invited to BC, and we have to people that got invited for being at blizzcon. Sadly for me, my lifetime attendance wasnt one of the top 25.

Forum Links
Forum Rules