Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Duke freshmen get iPods...

Duke freshmen get iPods...
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 11:22 AM

"Joswiak told MacCentral that Apple has worked out an agreement with prestigious Duke University in Durham, NC to offer iPods to all incoming freshmen for the 2004-2005 academic year. Incoming freshmen will receive iPods pre-loaded with content related to the University itself, and Apple and Duke have created a special iTunes site where Duke students will be able to download class-related notes and other material."

Nice!

Taken from here.
( Last edited by gorickey; Jul 19, 2004 at 11:33 AM. )

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 11:27 AM

Gah! More reason to hate Duke.

That's great for the students though. Do they really need a reason to attract people to Duke? Or are they worried that Duke's program next year (b-ball) won't be a national powerhouse for the first time in a good while.

I'll cry them a tear.

:tear:

(No, I'm not bitter after they knocked my illini from the tourney last year... not at all...)

Matt Fahrenbacher

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 11:34 AM

Interesting... a local university just went with Napster II

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:09 PM

I think its a great idea. Though would an iPod bring more lazyness to college students... Maybe they will think "I don't have to attend class now that I can just download the lecture off the net"....? Still its a great deal for the students. I bet the upper classmen will be mad

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
I think its a great idea. Though would an iPod bring more lazyness to college students... Maybe they will think "I don't have to attend class now that I can just download the lecture off the net"....? Still its a great deal for the students. I bet the upper classmen will be mad
My computer science courses usually had video feeds that could be downloaded and watched. I watched them if I had trouble getting up at 8AM, but the way I looked at it, I wasn't really ready to process patricia trees at 8AM anyway. Waiting till lunch timeish usually helped me understand the material better. For lecture situations, this isn't too bad of an idea (although sometimes you miss specific things that come up in a live lecture, but my professors were always nice enough to post those things to the newsgroup).

Matt Fahrenbacher

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
My computer science courses usually had video feeds that could be downloaded and watched. I watched them if I had trouble getting up at 8AM, but the way I looked at it, I wasn't really ready to process patricia trees at 8AM anyway. Waiting till lunch timeish usually helped me understand the material better. For lecture situations, this isn't too bad of an idea (although sometimes you miss specific things that come up in a live lecture, but my professors were always nice enough to post those things to the newsgroup).

Matt Fahrenbacher
Hmmm, that's the first good point I've heard for video feeds of classes (other then non-traditional students). It also forces the professor to work harder because they know they are being video taped. That being said, they probably show less personality.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
My computer science courses usually had video feeds that could be downloaded and watched. ...

Matt Fahrenbacher
Not only that, but most general classes (the ones freshmen take) usually have a professional notetaker whose notes you can buy. I suppose this idea will cramp the style of these notetakers at Duke

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Not only that, but most general classes (the ones freshmen take) usually have a professional notetaker whose notes you can buy. I suppose this idea will cramp the style of these notetakers at Duke
Students will still buy them... just because you have transcripts doesn't mean you would do any better. Most professional note takers I've seen have the ability to know what's on the test.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 12:55 PM

looks like im going back to school.

har har har.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2004, 12:55 PM

"Joswiak told MacCentral that Apple has worked out an agreement with prestigious Duke University in Durham, NC to offer iPods to all incoming freshmen for the 2004-2005 academic year. Incoming freshmen will receive iPods pre-loaded with content related to the University itself, and Apple and Duke have created a special iTunes site where Duke students will be able to download class-related notes and other material."

What I'm wondering is if they will still have to pay for them.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
What I'm wondering is if they will still have to pay for them.
From the article...

"This is a pilot program between Duke University and Apple, which will be evaluated after a year. It's being paid for by Duke using strategic planning funds that have been set aside for one-time purposes, rather than with funds that might otherwise have been used for other operational programs."

Are you referring to the students actually paying for them? I doubt it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
From the article...

"This is a pilot program between Duke University and Apple, which will be evaluated after a year. It's being paid for by Duke using strategic planning funds that have been set aside for one-time purposes, rather than with funds that might otherwise have been used for other operational programs."

Are you referring to the students actually paying for them? I doubt it.
Hmmm... Seems like a waste of money. Then again, one wonders how much the tuition is.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hmmm... Seems like a waste of money. Then again, one wonders how much the tuition is.
I wouldn't say its a waste of money... if it can help a student with class work... IE reviewing lectures at night. I would find this very helpful.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't say its a waste of money... if it can help a student with class work... IE reviewing lectures at night. I would find this very helpful.
There are easier ways of reviewing lectures than on a tiny iPod screen...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
...what about recording them though? Too bad this piece won't be bundled with them.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 01:55 PM

One doesn't have to wonder that much. It's probably about 40,000. Sixty kids' tuition could pay for 6,000 new 40 GB iPods, and that's at retail price.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Would you rather use a tape recorder? Sure you can look over you handwritten notes... but its very easy to miss things during a lecture... Using the iPod's controls to review later while looking over notes... or even in the car is a very practical way to review lectures. You could share with your friends too. I think the iPod is the best way to record class lectures. Its much easier than bring a tape recorder, computer, and microphones to record the lecture.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 02:40 PM

Hah..."free iPod"....ever seen Duke's tuition costs?!

Seriously though that's cool for them, I just hope we actually beat them this year...

*wolfpack pride*

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
Hah..."free iPod"....ever seen Duke's tuition costs?!

Seriously though that's cool for them, I just hope we actually beat them this year...

*wolfpack pride*
GO WOLFPACK!

RiSE
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 03:19 PM

The apartment complex next door was offering free ipod to anybody that signs a lease! Funny the year before they there were giving away free compaq computers. I think im going to steal that free ipod sign. yeah good idea.

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 03:24 PM

GO WOLFPACK!

Wrong ones

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 03:25 PM

I'm glad my school doesn't give away free iPods otherwise I'd have to pay even more

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 04:08 PM

Would you rather use a tape recorder? Sure you can look over you handwritten notes... but its very easy to miss things during a lecture... Using the iPod's controls to review later while looking over notes... or even in the car is a very practical way to review lectures. You could share with your friends too. I think the iPod is the best way to record class lectures. Its much easier than bring a tape recorder, computer, and microphones to record the lecture.
Many more schools are adopting presentation format and the powerpoint documents are made available online. Some make mere notes online. Some schools video tape all lectures and have them available to stream online. All of these methods seem better to me than plain audio.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 06:35 PM

All of a sudden, I feel old. When I graduated college (only five years ago), we took notes with pencil and paper. I've never even heard of professional note-taking services. Technology never ceases to amaze.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
All of a sudden, I feel old. When I graduated college (only five years ago), we took notes with pencil and paper. I've never even heard of professional note-taking services. Technology never ceases to amaze.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules