Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X v10.6.6

OS X v10.6.6
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2011, 10:24 AM

The update is live. Download link

Annoyingly the additional info page is a dead link right now.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks, Software Update listed it, comes with Mac App Store included.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 10:53 AM

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2011, 10:59 AM

I'd like to know if they've finally fixed the bug where iTunes generates a new zero-k .plist file every time you quit iTunes. I just deleted over 300 of the damned things over the weekend.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
From what I can gather, 10.6.6 simply installs the Mac App store app. Lame, imo, big time lame.

WHAT'S NEW
Version 10.6.6:
Discover Mac apps: Browse featured apps, top charts, and categories, or search for something specific. Read detailed app descriptions and user reviews, and flip through screen shots.

Buy and install: Easily purchase apps with your iTunes account. Apps install in one step and are quickly available from the Dock.

App updates: The Mac App Store keeps track of all your purchased apps and notifies you when free updates are available.

The official link for 10.6.6 in Software Update doesn't work, but here it is for your enjoyment:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'd like to know if they've finally fixed the bug where iTunes generates a new zero-k .plist file every time you quit iTunes. I just deleted over 300 of the damned things over the weekend.
That would probably need to be fixed in an iTunes update. Where are all these zero-k .plist files located? I have not seen this issue.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
From what I can gather, 10.6.6 simply installs the Mac App store app. Lame, imo, big time lame.
That's not true, given angelmb's screengrab. It includes OS fixes. We just don't know what they are yet.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM. )

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2011, 12:09 PM

Person Man,
Look in your user/Library/Preferences/ByHost folder. Scroll until you find the com.apple.itunes.XXXXXXXXXXX.plist file (the XXXXXXXXX will be a long string of numbers.) Following that file will be multiple copies of the file, only there will be additional numbers following the .plist extension. It's zero-k file, though.

These get generated every time iTunes is closed. There are several threads on the Apple forums about this. Apparently this also happens with the iApps and QuickTimeX .plist files, but not as bad as iTunes.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2011, 12:09 PM

not much different here, and all of my 'customizations' to the system, and my custom itunes GUI held (yay!).
app store shows my ilife 11 previous installs; all looks good so far..
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 12:29 PM

Monitor and printing issues addressed

Newly solved, for instance, is a problem with Macs using ATI graphics cards, which could potentially experience "erratic" mouse cursors when an external monitor is connected via DVI. The update also copes with a cropping problem when performing postscript printing in landscape mode. The lone security fix addresses a man-in-the-middle exploit possible with PackageKit.

That's not exactly what my monitor issue is, but I'm optimistic.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 PM

That's not true, given angelmb's screengrab. It includes OS fixes. We just don't know what they are yet.
I think Apple copies and pastes that for every update, regardless of what it actually is.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2011, 01:03 PM

Andrew88088
Jan 6, 2011, 01:54 PM

(Nevermind. It was a network issue that coincided with my installing 10.6.6. All is well)
( Last edited by Andrew88088; Jan 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2011, 03:48 PM

Person Man,
Look in your user/Library/Preferences/ByHost folder. Scroll until you find the com.apple.itunes.XXXXXXXXXXX.plist file (the XXXXXXXXX will be a long string of numbers.) Following that file will be multiple copies of the file, only there will be additional numbers following the .plist extension. It's zero-k file, though.

These get generated every time iTunes is closed. There are several threads on the Apple forums about this. Apparently this also happens with the iApps and QuickTimeX .plist files, but not as bad as iTunes.
I only have two such .plist files for iTunes, and only two .plist files each for each iWork app. All of them are bigger than zero K. I use them all more or less regularly too, so it must be an intermittent issue, or it was fixed in iTunes 10.1.1?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 04:05 PM

I've heard of issues with VNC after installing 10.6.6, anyone care to test this?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 04:08 PM

There is a single security fix in 10.6.6. update, which affects Software Update and was reported by this guy. OK, actually, that's just his blog but credit where credit is due is the honest thing to do.

Impact: A man-in-the-middle attacker may be able to cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A format string issue exists in PackageKit's handling of distribution scripts. A man-in-the-middle attacker may be able to cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution when Software Update checks for new updates. This issue is addressed through improved validation of distribution scripts. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.6. Credit to Aaron Sigel of vtty.com for reporting this issue.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2011, 07:40 PM

Person Man,

I have 5 and they're all different sizes.

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I have 5 and they're all different sizes.
Are they the files with numbers after the .plist extension?

For instance, in the Preferences/ByHost folder, I have these files"
com.apple.iTunes.0A772A5C-D945-5F65-B408-DFC962EF2BA5.plist
com.apple.iTunes.0A772A5C-D945-5F65-B408-DFC962EF2BA5.plist.hkGw99r

The first one is the normal .plist file. The second one, with hkGw99r after the file extension, is a zero-k file. That's the file that gets generated. I had over 300 of them in the ByHost folder, all zero-k. The people reporting them on the Apple forums are also reporting them as zero-k files.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 09:15 PM

For those of you having problems with MacFUSE in 10.6.6, the beta build linked here works for me: Where should we host new files? (Google Groups will not.) - MacFUSE | Google Groups

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 10:31 PM

Dammit all to hell!!#%>!@?#>!&

It doesn't correct the dead external monitor issue. WTF is wrong with Apple?!?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 10:34 PM

I'm not too shocked that it doesn't correct existing issues, since the main purpose was to roll out the app store.

I would, however, be pissed if unrelated items are suddenly broken.

I'm gonna hold of on X.6.6

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm not too shocked that it doesn't correct existing issues, since the main purpose was to roll out the app store.

I would, however, be pissed if unrelated items are suddenly broken.

I'm gonna hold of on X.6.6
This was not an existing issue before 10.6.5. The monitors were all working fine in 10.6.4. It was specifically 10.6.5 that broke it. 10.6.4 worked fine, and continues to work fine with the exact same hardware. They tried to address part of the issue in 10.6.6, but obviously they did a really half-assed job of it.

As far as I'm concerned, if they couldn't fix it, they should just have reversed the stupidities they introduced in 10.6.5 until they find a fix. This is affecting a lot of people.

Or maybe this is Apple's way of telling people not to buy non-Apple monitors?

BTW, I do have 10.6.4 on another drive. However, my newer data is on my 10.6.6 iMac. Would it work to backup my Mail, Address Book, iTunes, and iCal, downgrade to 10.6.4, and then restore my data on 10.6.4?

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2011, 02:53 AM

Monitor and printing issues addressed

Newly solved, for instance, is a problem with Macs using ATI graphics cards, which could potentially experience "erratic" mouse cursors when an external monitor is connected via DVI...
That's awesome; that issue has been driving me nuts. It never occured to me that it had anything to do with my dual-display setup.

P
Jan 7, 2011, 10:50 AM

BTW, I do have 10.6.4 on another drive. However, my newer data is on my 10.6.6 iMac. Would it work to backup my Mail, Address Book, iTunes, and iCal, downgrade to 10.6.4, and then restore my data on 10.6.4?
Should work, with the possible exception of the iTunes library.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Should work, with the possible exception of the iTunes library.
In a moment of prescient lucidity, I moved all my iTunes library to a non-boot partition (which I backed up twice separately) before I took the machine in, so all the data files - including new apps I've added in the interim while the machine was in the shop - are actually there. I should be good to go if I just export the iTunes Library.xml file, and reinstall iTunes 10.1.1 on 10.6.4, no?

Of course, all of this will be backed up again before I do anything.

P
Jan 8, 2011, 07:28 AM

I think that that would work, yes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2011, 08:33 AM

Now I get "OSStatus error -19160" whenI'm trying to view a quicktime stream off the web. WMV was updated, and I deleted some plists but 10.6.6 has hosed up my work machine.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2011, 11:17 AM

QUOTE: "I'd like to know if they've finally fixed the bug where iTunes generates a new zero-k .plist file every time you quit iTunes. I just deleted over 300 of the damned things over the weekend."

No such issue for me. Check my library/prefs on two computers.

Thorzdad
Jan 8, 2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
Interesting. Did you look in the ByHost folder? That's where they accumulate.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 05:35 PM

The only issue 2 issues I have run across with 10.6.6 is in iTunes videos played black. Could hear the sound but no video. It was set to play locally and I spent a half hour trying to read up fixes. I later tested sending to AppleTV it worked and when I brought it back over to the mac it was working on the mac again.

Other issue, only happened once so far. Computer was on over night I came back to it in the morning and the screen was on and black like screen saver mode. Hit the space bar and the machine rebooted. Have not seen that happen again. I suspect it might have been related to a cat sleeping on the laptop causing it to bugger up. No idea. If it happens again or I can find a way to repeat it I will post it. Otherwise everything has been good so far.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2011, 06:00 PM

Person Man,

I have exactly one such file there, 508 KB. Dated yesterday, 22:30.

This is on 10.6.6, though, so if the update deleted all the others, that makes this info meaningless.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2011, 01:56 AM

TRIM Support?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
QUOTE: "I'd like to know if they've finally fixed the bug where iTunes generates a new zero-k .plist file every time you quit iTunes. I just deleted over 300 of the damned things over the weekend."

I have a bunch there. Not huge numbers, but some.

Forum Links
Forum Rules