Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Workgroup Manager (Panther): Is this possible?

Workgroup Manager (Panther): Is this possible?
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 10:37 AM

Is there a way to create a network user in WorkGroup Manager on Panther Server that will be a local admin when used on a client machine?

If so, how?

Thanks.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 04:55 PM

I know a server admin that is also in the shared directory is also an admin of local clients. However, I've never tried just having them be a client admin but not a server admin.

You could try adding the admin group to their group memberships, but not having the "admin this server" checkbox filled. I'm not sure if that is possible but might be worth trying.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
You could try adding the admin group to their group memberships, but not having the "admin this server" checkbox filled. I'm not sure if that is possible but might be worth trying.
Hmm, I'll give that a shot for sure...

I was also thinking of creating a mobile account that once logged in, I could go in as another admin user and tweak the Accounts PrefPane to "Allow user to administer this computer"....

Thanks for the feeback AV, I appreciate it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 05:20 PM

Another option is to go the local client, log in as that user, then go to the accounts pref pane and make them an admin of that machine. Of course, this is only practical if it's a few machines or if you do imaging.

You're welcome for the feedback, it's no bother.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 05:35 PM

Of course, this is only practical if it's a few machines.
Which in our specific case, it's not...but we'll see how that first option above goes when I get a chance to visit that building and test it out...

I have a few Apple SE's looking into this one as well so maybe they'll get an idea and I'll make sure to post any stuff here.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 06:47 PM

I just tried adding the admin group to a user and it worked. They were a local admin. It also appears that they were not also a server admin. However, I tested this on Jaguar since I'm not yet running Panther yet on the network. My guess, though, is that you'll get similar results with Panther.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 08:51 PM

I just tried adding the admin group to a user and it worked. They were a local admin. It also appears that they were not also a server admin. However, I tested this on Jaguar since I'm not yet running Panther yet on the network. My guess, though, is that you'll get similar results with Panther.
You rock! Thanks yet again. I'll report back when I can test with Panther....

I tried to PM you; however, I can't it looks like. No biggie.

Thanks for testing this out.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
You rock!
I know.

I tried to PM you; however, I can't it looks like. No biggie.
Try again now.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules