Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Okidata Color LED/Laser Printers: C5200n/C5400n...

Okidata Color LED/Laser Printers: C5200n/C5400n...
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 09:31 AM

Anybody have any experience with the above mentioned Okidata printers? I'm looking into buying roughly 30 of these (or something else) and I have no prior experience with Okidata printers at all; however, they are very competitive on the price point and that's what is drawing me into trying one out.

Of Note: I've been told that the C5200n is based off of a GDI driver that has "Mac Compatibility" (for OS X only)...not a problem since we are all OS X; however, it can't support some older "Classic" applications and anything that reads PS to the printer (Adobe Photoshop/Quark/etc. etc); however, the C5400n is a fully PS driven printer that handles PCL, GDI, you name it...and supports the Mac very well.

Anyway, if anybody out there has used any of these printers (or the C5100/C5300 series)...I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on performance/support/reliability/toner (consumables)/etc.

Thanks!

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2004, 12:34 PM

Quite independently which brand you buy, do not buy a GDI printer. It's a driver supply problem. A story: my parents had bought a HP LaserJet 3100 Fax-Laserprinter, a GDI printer despite quite some electronics inside (e. g. for autonomous copies). When my parents wanted to upgrade from Win98 to Win2k, they (or rather I) had to find out that there is yet no driver for Win2k! Half a year later, a driver came out, but you had to pay for it!

Especially in a multiplatform environment Postscript (or PCL) printers just work and do so for years and years.

I don't have experience with these particular models, but rather an old 9055 and a couple of black and white ones. The speed is really good for color (12 ppm in color for a 5-year old printer is not bad I'd say) as well as b/w. The quality of the printer itself is sturdy, I don't know about the prices of consumables though.

Maybe one more remark: since those printers usually print just a few pages at a time, the raw copy speed is not as crucial as reliability in my opinion. Also, the time till the print out begins adds to that, too.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the advice/thoughts OreoCookie...I appreciate it!

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 06:17 PM

Nobody else? That sort of surprises me; however, maybe it's a sign...

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2004, 09:57 PM

Maybe the popularity of a brand depends strongly on the country. Here in the grad school of math, almost all (read literally: almost all) professors use a Mac with an Oki laser printer.

So, I guess, in other countries, people tend to buy other brands. In Munich, they often use HP, but tend to shift to other brands now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules