Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Glowing light thingy when asleep...

Glowing light thingy when asleep...
skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 04:47 PM

...is it possible to turn it off?

(iBook 600 mhz, OSX 10.1)

castle3
Feb 26, 2004, 06:33 PM

I don't think that it is possible to turn the "snore" light off(i call it a snore light) almost all newer mac laptops have it. It basically helps distinguish if your notebook is shut down or sleeping. It doesnt really take up much batt power. Could i ask why you would like for it to be turned off?? I do sometimes get annoyed by it, but for the most part thats what distinguishes your laptop from PC laptops.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 07:34 PM

Actually, I find it quite nice, though when you are trying to get some sleep in a dark room with it flashing it can get annoying.

What I do is turn the laptop away from me and just used something to suppress the light. Though save from performing a mod on the LED, there's really little you can do with it. So why not shutdown the laptop instead? Otherwise, its one of those "features" you just have to live with.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2004, 10:07 PM

I remember someone doing a mod to change the color of the sleep led, so I'm assuming you could take it out as well (or at least, obstruct the led so that it wouldn't shine through the case).

Good luck taking it apart though, not a job for the meek.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by castle3:
Could i ask why you would like for it to be turned off??
I recently installed an airport card and surf a bit before sleeping myself, it just feels a bit creepy having the thing "breathing" in the corner of the room at night.

cryon
Feb 27, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by skalie:
I recently installed an airport card and surf a bit before sleeping myself, it just feels a bit creepy having the thing "breathing" in the corner of the room at night.
i know the feeling
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by skalie:
I just find it annoying cuz it's very bright, it lights up half the room at night, just throw a towel over it thats what I do.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Good luck taking it apart though, not a job for the meek.
Not to mention the fact that this totally voids your warranty.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
I just find it annoying cuz it's very bright, it lights up half the room at night, just throw a towel over it thats what I do.
Some black electrical tape on the sleep light could do the trick as well.

Personally, I close my eyes for sleeping, so I couldn't care less about any light in my bedroom. In fact, I sleep really well in the warmth of bright sunlight.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 06:18 AM

Did anyone else here notice that the 10.3.2 update made the light dimmer and slightly changed the timing? There were posts in the PowerBook forum about it, people said it was Apple responding to these exact same "it's too bright at night" complaints. Apparently it's all stored in the NVRAM somewhere...

I have to say I did notice a change after the update. At first I was a little miffed; I don't want them to mess with it! The timing is still good but it won't take much to turn it into the cheap knock-off version seen in my fianc�e's HP Omnibook!

biscuit

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 09:58 AM

Y'all need to stop complaining and start practicing your shadow puppets at night.

Or put some colored cellophane over it and it'd make your room feel like a cheap and sleazy hotel room with the neon outside the window! That'd be nifty... unless you live in a cheap and sleazy hotel room... then it might be too over the top.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 05:41 PM

C�mon, that�s not so difficult, if it scares you just put it in the drawer overnight.........

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

castle3
Mar 5, 2004, 08:13 PM

[Quote]I recently installed an airport card and surf a bit before sleeping myself, it just feels a bit creepy having the thing "breathing" in the corner of the room at night.[End Quote] I know how ya feel. I guess thats what distingueshes ibooks from pcs. It makes you feel like its a living thing... on that note! i was even surprized to find that you can voice command your ibook...check out the speech prefs on Syst. Prefs.!!! my fave feature?? telling it to open itunes and play a song from the other side of my room!!!
live.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by castle3:
I recently installed an airport card and surf a bit before sleeping myself, it just feels a bit creepy having the thing "breathing" in the corner of the room at night.[End Quote] I know how ya feel. I guess thats what distingueshes ibooks from pcs. It makes you feel like its a living thing... on that note! i was even surprized to find that you can voice command your ibook...check out the speech prefs on Syst. Prefs.!!! my fave feature?? telling it to open itunes and play a song from the other side of my room!!!
Ask your iBook to tell you a joke. Amuses family and friends!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

castle3
Mar 8, 2004, 11:43 PM

oh yeah, Ive found that out as well! ...yeah, Im bored.
live.

ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 01:52 AM

Now for a serious post lol.

Q:
Do all of the iBook's have the fading sleep light or just the G4's?

Thanks

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by ww2junkie42:
Q:
Do all of the iBook's have the fading sleep light or just the G4's?
A: Certainly all the dual-USB ones do. Not sure on the clamshell type. I think it debuted on the Pismo and it's also found on iMacs, PowerMacs, PowerBooks and Screens.

biscuit

va3uxb
Mar 9, 2004, 08:18 PM

I had a Lime iBook FW (just upgraded to a 12" G4 800MHz, yipee) and the clamshell ones did have the 'snooze light' too. It was at the base of the screen, was green, and actually was on both front and back, so you could see it if the screen was open, or closed.

It was nowhere near as bright as the white one on the G4 though...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 10, 2004, 02:24 PM

All iBooks have a throbbing sleep light: the iBook introduced it! (Previous Apple laptops just had a green light that unceremoniously blinked.)

The Pismo, being the first PowerBook model released after the iBook, was the first PowerBook to have the throbbing light. (The Digital Audio G4 and one of the revisions of the slot-load iMac replaced the solid orange sleep light on desktops with throbbing white.)

Only in the TiBook and Snow iBook did the light become white, though.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules