Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wireless ibook question

wireless ibook question
tomkos123
Apr 4, 2004, 08:41 AM

this is probably a really newbie question but its bugging me quite a lot so help would be much appreciated!

i use my ibook at home through a 3com wireless access point. this system was really easy to install and worked flawlessly until recently. now when i try to use the ibook it will connect to the access point and enable me to grab files from the other computers on the network. it wont, however let me get on the internet. under system prefs, network status it says: "airport is connected to the network 3com. airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet"

basically id just like to get it running as it was before when it would connect to the internet automaticaly.

thanks for the help
tom
powermac G5
powerbook G4
ipod 40Gb

ebsidohw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2004, 09:08 AM

is it set to dhcp? Have you tried statically assidning the ip and dns? I used to have problems when I tried going wireless on my ibook via non-apple router methods. never worked for long. But it worked fine with the airport base station I ended up having to buy.

Its nice that it just worked with the airport base station, but it would have been nicer to have worked on a $100 wireless router instead.

tomkos123  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 09:19 AM

its all setup fine, as it used to work. it just doesnt now.

i can get the internet if i set my powermac to share it
but its a pain having to do that all the time
powermac G5
powerbook G4
ipod 40Gb

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Apr 4, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by tomkos123:
under system prefs, network status it says: "airport is connected to the network 3com. airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet"
Self assigned IP normally means that there is no connection to the internet. Should it be the case that your other computers are not connected to the net either, then the problem probably is between the router/access point and the dsl/cable modem. Do a power cycle (unplug/plug) on both, this cured the problems a friend once had.
Since no settings have been changed on the iBook it should not be the culprit.
(I am running a wireless network with a 50$ router and it works flawless.)
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

tomkos123  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 10:42 AM

this is annoying!
the net is working fine on other comps
hmmm
i should probably ask this in the netowrking section too

thanks for the help
tom
powermac G5
powerbook G4
ipod 40Gb

cryon
Apr 4, 2004, 11:22 AM

I had the same problem with my d-link router. But after updating the firmware om it it worked flawlessy... hope it will help, you can't live without wireless network!!!
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Apr 5, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by cryon:
I had the same problem with my d-link router. But after updating the firmware om it it worked flawlessy... hope it will help, you can't live without wireless network!!!
True, once you go wireless, it's such a pain to have it not available...
Firmware update is a good point, I forgot about that one, my friend did it after the power cycle was necessary and it is up and running ever since. But then again, I don't have any experience with pure wireless access points, only complete wifi routers.
Good luck!!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules