Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Solution For Apple Download Movie Store!

Solution For Apple Download Movie Store!
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 03:18 PM

P2P! Now hear me out. Apple maintains a database of prices for movies encoded with codec-x whatever they decide to use. Now someone logs on, gives their credit card, and starts downloading, as soon as the movie is done downloading the user is charged the money, and then if someone wants to download the movie, instead of apple's bandwidth, they would download it from that person, and as soon as the download is complete that person's account is credited a small distributor's fee. Say one dollar for an 11 dollar movie? And then you own the content!
Wrap it up in some DRM and thar ya go! Sure it's not as single sourced as the iTMS but it saves a ton on Bandwidth, and probably would have nicer bandwidth charges.

And everyone would be happy
Of course then they would need to add in the ability to encode your own movies into the software.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2004, 03:36 PM

The problem is the slow download times for end users. The reason iTMS works so well is because of its "instant gratification" way of buying. You buy a song and ten seconds later you own it. Movies can take hours to download.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 07:01 PM

There isnt a single movie company that will consider this idea to boot. The existing movie download site for windows machine is already a money sinkhole, free bandwidth or not.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:14 PM

Maybe if they used their own bandwidth as a backup, and used Bit Torrent technology if enough users were downloading the movie.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:23 PM

Sorta makes sense. It's not like we aren't all D/Ling BitTorrent movies anyways.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 08:13 PM

BitTorrent has a lot of potential here....

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Sorta makes sense. It's not like we aren't all D/Ling BitTorrent movies anyways.
Shhh shutuuup

Forum Links
Forum Rules