Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Megalomaniac Banned

Megalomaniac Banned
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 03:46 AM

Well, Incubus' new video, which has certain anti-war/anti-Bush sentiments, has officially been banned from MTV I hear.

What a load of f�cking shi�. This world is fast going to hell in a handbasket, I firmly believe.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 03:52 AM

Wow...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 06:26 AM

remember Madonna's "American Life"?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
remember Madonna's "American Life"?
Of course not!

Madonna? Hello??
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 17, 2004, 08:50 AM

They have a right of free speech. Corporations also have the right to what they put on air.

You cannot FORCE Corporations to do anything of the like. This is how it works. MTV isn't ran by the government.

MTV can choose what it wants or doesn't want.

This is surprising though. I would have thought MTV would be GLAD to air it.

Maybe it just really sucked?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Maybe it just really sucked?
I thought that was whe criteria to be fulfilled if you wanted to be aired on MTV

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 09:05 AM

MTV is not run by the government, true, but what if someone in the goverment has a shed-load of shares in MTV's parent company..?

L E
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
What a load of f�cking shi�. This world is fast going to hell in a handbasket, I firmly believe.
this is your opinion based on the fact a MUSIC VIDEO won't be aired on a crap station?

It's a good thing you're not in charge.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Of course not!

Madonna? Hello??
Point?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 09:12 AM

Point?
I got a tip for you. Get the point?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 09:20 AM

I thought that was whe criteria to be fulfilled if you wanted to be aired on MTV

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 09:23 AM

I got a tip for you. Get the point?
I'm missing you entirely, it seems.

My point was that this kind of stuff isn't really new, and that Madonna's "American Life" video caused enough ruckus to be pulled, as well.

Was there something wrong with mentioning that?

Did somebody piss in your breakfast cereal, or is the hernia acting up again?

C'mon, voodoo - seriously.

-s*

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

The question is, then, does Incubus' right to free speech outweigh MTV's right to free speech?

Seriously; this is what it really comes to. Free speech means that you can't be forced into silence, but neither can you be forced into speaking. Does Incubus' right to make an anti-war video outweigh MTV's right to not be forced to show any video it doesn't want to show?

In the end, I say MTV wins this one, because there are other outlets through which music videos can be released, so Incubus is not forced into silence.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 10:02 AM

Well, Incubus' new video, which has certain anti-war/anti-Bush sentiments, has officially been banned from MTV I hear.

greg
The World was/is going to Hell in a handbasket WAAAAAY Before this
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 01:31 PM

Of course I agree. This isn't some amazing new thought I just had last night.

This is, however, something that's really close to my own heart. I perfectly understand deciding not to show a music video if it contains controversial topics such as explicit sex (although that seems to be fine lately), drug use or what have you; however, this seems just to be blatant unwillingness to show anything that critisizes the American government.

Incucbus are one of the better (and most popular) rock groups in the mainstream today...it most certainly is a big decision.

This just bugs the shi� outta ne,

EDIT: New Incubus Video is Week 2

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 02:00 PM

Corporatization, media consolidation and vertical integration are all killing freedom of choice. Remember to tell yourself this, while listening to Z-102 as you drive your GM vehicle to WalMart to purchase the new Incubus CD, brought to you by Sony Music�.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

quandarry
Feb 17, 2004, 02:04 PM

what's incubus?

to lazy to look up what people don't express in there o.p.

i know what succubus is, that's cool.

palmberg
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
In the end, I say MTV wins this one, because there are other outlets through which music videos can be released, so Incubus is not forced into silence.
Exactly. Post the video on the Web. Or just the song. Better yet, they should realize that no one gives a **** about anything they say in the first place. Save us all a lot of trouble.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 02:06 PM

I'm missing you entirely, it seems.

My point was that this kind of stuff isn't really new, and that Madonna's "American Life" video caused enough ruckus to be pulled, as well.

Was there something wrong with mentioning that?

Did somebody piss in your breakfast cereal, or is the hernia acting up again?

C'mon, voodoo - seriously.

-s*
Sorry if I appeared all cranky

I'm just such a music snob that I detest Madonna and go out of my way to avoid her music or her videos. I even fast forwarded over the last James Bond intro! (and I'm a big fan of JB!)

The 'I got a tip..' line is from Monkey Island. Used in swordfighting debates.

Oh and when I find the person that PISSED all over my COCOA PUFFS this morning

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The question is, then, does Incubus' right to free speech outweigh MTV's right to free speech?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Unless MTV is the US Congress, Incubus' free speech is perfectly intact. They have no "right" to be broadcast on MTV.

MTV would be glad to play antiwar videos. The banning is probably a PR stunt to get more people mad at the government, like it's somehow their fault. Does MTV even play videos anymore, anyhow?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Unless MTV is the US Congress, Incubus' free speech is perfectly intact. They have no "right" to be broadcast on MTV.
You are, of course, correct. But people seem to paint this as a free-speech issue, so I figured it was better to speak on those terms, if only to point out that The Other Side has free-speech rights too.

Also, there is a school of thought out there (particularly popular, it seems, with whoever is saying the unpopular thing at the moment) that people other than the government are capable of stripping someone of free-speech rights. For example, despite the fact that the government does not censor media reports, the US is often said to 'not really have a feww press' because of a perceived bias one way or the other in US media. Exactly which direction that bias goes depends on who you ask.
MTV would be glad to play antiwar videos. The banning is probably a PR stunt to get more people mad at the government, like it's somehow their fault. Does MTV even play videos anymore, anyhow?
That's not an angle I'd thought of, but there could be some merit to your claim. It's true that people tend to blame the government for corporate decisions nowadays, and there is no doubt that Viacom is aware of that. But would they intentionally pull a stunt like this, hoping to deflect the public's anger onto the government? I'm not so sure. That seems like an awfully risky move.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Corporatization, media consolidation and vertical integration are all killing freedom of choice. Remember to tell yourself this, while listening to Z-102 as you drive your GM vehicle to WalMart to purchase the new Incubus CD, brought to you by Sony Music�.

CV

Class, listen up. Here it is, again, word for word:

- Chris V., circa 2004
I, ASIMO.

ambush
Banned
Feb 17, 2004, 06:25 PM

greg
Oh yeah, now it's censorship.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

This is surprising though. I would have thought MTV would be GLAD to air it.
Well, TV stations do contribute alot more to the Republicans than other groups in media.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
what's incubus?

to lazy to look up what people don't express in there o.p.

i know what succubus is, that's cool.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ylistId=465730

Drive is probably their biggest song.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ylistId=465730

Drive is probably their biggest song.
Their last album Morning View was pretty good. Make Yourself was much better (features Drive).

Megalomaniac is a pretty decent song (can't say the same for the rest of the album), I was a little surprised by the content of the video but it's been out for at least a month I believe.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Class, listen up. Here it is, again, word for word:

- Chris V., circa 2004
Thank you. Somebody gets it.

So. Have MTV said exactly what the problem with the video was, yet?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 07:03 PM

Isn't MTV owned by Viacom, same as CBS? They're kinda nuts lately.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:11 PM

My favorite game series ever. I hope they're making a fifth.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Isn't MTV owned by Viacom, same as CBS? They're kinda nuts lately.
Yeah, you're right.

And they are nuts.

DAMN THAT LIBERAL MEDIA!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 07:36 PM

Precursor: Incubus is one of my favorite bands, and I love their music.

----

Has anyone watched the video?

Comparing Bush Jr. to Hitler? Using the imagery of an "eagle" eating other animals? Feeding "kids" oil? The video is distrubing and shouldn't be aired, IMO. As has been already mentioned (thanks Zimphire), it's up to MTV what they want to air, and anyone who wants to bitch "freedom of speech" needs to learn what they are talking about.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 09:39 PM

I wasn't even aware that MTV still showed videos. Do the sqeeze in a song or two between what ever crappy show Jessica Simpson is on and Ozzy'z equally crappy show?
Nemo me impune lacesset

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
Precursor: Incubus is one of my favorite bands, and I love their music.

----

Has anyone watched the video?

Comparing Bush Jr. to Hitler? Using the imagery of an "eagle" eating other animals? Feeding "kids" oil? The video is distrubing and shouldn't be aired, IMO. As has been already mentioned (thanks Zimphire), it's up to MTV what they want to air, and anyone who wants to bitch "freedom of speech" needs to learn what they are talking about.
Oh my god. An eagle eating other animals? I'm shocked and chagrinned. Wait... isn't that what eagles do?

Has MTV issued a statement to that effect, or is that just your opinion? I have not seen the video-- I'd have to actually watch television for that to happen, so forget it. I'm just genuinely curious if they've said why they've stopped playing it, if they've said anything at all.

CV

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I wasn't even aware that MTV still showed videos. Do the sqeeze in a song or two between what ever crappy show Jessica Simpson is on and Ozzy'z equally crappy show?
They also have MTV 2, MTV Hits, and MTV X. SO yes, they play pretty much all videos on those 3.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
They also have MTV 2, MTV Hits, and MTV X. SO yes, they play pretty much all videos on those 3.
Ah, I see. I guess Time-Warner feels I only need the MTV that plays stupid reality shows about celeberties I wouldn't stop to spit on if they were burning on the side walk in front of me. Bless you Time-Warner.
Nemo me impune lacesset

york28
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 02:26 AM

Incubus.....I used to listen to that band back in the day (when their "new" CD was S.C.I.E.N.C.E.)

This shouldn't be surprising, afterall, CBS wouldn't air a video during the super bowl that accused Bush of growing the national deficit.

There was already an article that compaired Hitler to Bush, and it was criticized for not being terribly accurate. Now I haven't seen the video, and I probably never will, but its not surprising that the network is covering their butt and not showing a video that compares the leader of our country to one of teh most infamous dictators ever.

I think Bush sucks just like everone else, but let's be logical here. He is much too foolish and lacks the ambition to be on Hitler's level. As for Incubus's video, I believe that CV's comment is the best summary thus far.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

busket68
Banned
Feb 18, 2004, 02:30 AM

Good. I'm getting sick of all the anti-war **** going around. I'm getting sick of people who are pro war. What I'd like would be incubus to do a video about being sick of extreme lefties and religous wack-jobs.

- Ca$h

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 02:34 AM

Dumbass liberals bitching about President Bush? NO FREAKING WAY!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 18, 2004, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
Not in MacNN! NEVER!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 03:33 AM

Are you naturally an asshole, or did you have to practice?

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Feb 18, 2004, 03:41 AM

isn't there a music station in the us that will show it?

oh, and i believe it's not a matter of free speech, but, as usual, a matter of people with power through financial means dictating the public discourse...

nothing new here, move along...

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2004, 03:59 AM

I just saw it on MTV last weekend...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
isn't there a music station in the us that will show it?

oh, and i believe it's not a matter of free speech, but, as usual, a matter of people with power through financial means dictating the public discourse...

nothing new here, move along...
I watch it on Much Music all the time .

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 10:32 AM

Sorry if I appeared all cranky

I'm just such a music snob that I detest Madonna and go out of my way to avoid her music or her videos. I even fast forwarded over the last James Bond intro! (and I'm a big fan of JB!)
See, I'm a music snob too, and I actually gave her a chance once she got singing lessons (for Evita, which I skipped, but "Ray of Light" and "Music" are actually pretty damn good albums)...

Ah, sorry: just a misunderstanding, I see...

Oh and when I find the person that PISSED all over my COCOA PUFFS this morning

When in doubt, blame the cat!

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
If you're right (no pun intended) like me and you have to read through post after post of this crap every day, you'll know how I feel.
Go Dogcows!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 01:10 PM

If you're right (no pun intended) like me and you have to read through post after post of this crap every day, you'll know how I feel.
d00d, R U ev4n 0ld enuff to v0t3?

LOLOL3RB14d3Z!!!1!111!!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 01:35 PM

If you're right (no pun intended)
Just to clarify, that wouldn't be a pun-- it'd be a double entendre.

Sorry-- pet peeve.

CV

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 02:46 PM

I'm boycotting MTV until they come out with MTV Zion, all Jamaican music all the time.

Oh and did any of you Yanks get to see that George Michael vid with Bush and Blair? Or that System of a Down video (Boom!). Here in Europe we're getting all kinds of controversial vids on mtv. Like the Madonna video (blah) or the Smack my b*tch up one a few years back...

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Just to clarify, that wouldn't be a pun-- it'd be a double entendre.

Sorry-- pet peeve.

CV
Yeah, I guess you're right, since "right wing" is considered slang.

Thanks for picking up on that one.
Go Dogcows!

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 02:50 PM

d00d, R U ev4n 0ld enuff to v0t3?

LOLOL3RB14d3Z!!!1!111!!!!

My response:

Originally posted by wataru:
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules