Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > JD Power Survey

JD Power Survey
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 02:36 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/09/21/...eal/index.html

I'm guessing they should say where these people where surveyed as this has to be based on a certain region. This poll wouldn't have the same results if the people were from Detroit (or even Michigan).

I mean, I would like to know of the 115,000 polled, how many were from a state that has a Big 3 influence (GM, Ford, Chrysler name plates not the other company names they own).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2005, 03:23 PM

Biased.

-t

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 05:32 PM

That is what I'm thinking. I bet you ask 115,000 people in different areas of the country and the results would be different every time.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 07:53 PM

Top Premium luxury car: Lexus LS430
Uh, no.

I call shenanigans.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 12:31 AM

These surveys are near meaningless. And this is why:
J.D. Power's Automotive Performance Execution and Layout study was based on surveys of 115,000 new vehicle owners during the first 90 days of ownership. They were asked about their satisfaction with aspects of their vehicles including the engine and transmission, ride and handling, comfort and convenience and styling.
They are not objective, but entirely subjective upon the owner's opinions.

It is nice to see GM high on a lot of the surveys though.

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
These surveys are near meaningless. And this is why:

They are not objective, but entirely subjective upon the owner's opinions.

It is nice to see GM high on a lot of the surveys though.
Right, so customer satisfaction is meaningless? Okay... These surveys are run in the UK every year by Top Gear and JD Power. Japenese cars often tend to come out on top, mainly because of their reliability, while cars such as Mercedes have been dropping down the list recently due to their recent poor build quality. Granted, it's not an entirely scientific test, but then there's no entirely scientific way to compare two different cars! Objective is a much over-used and little-understood word. In the UK version though respondants come from all over the country and rarely have localised car alliegences.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Right, so customer satisfaction is meaningless? Okay... These surveys are run in the UK every year by Top Gear and JD Power. Japenese cars often tend to come out on top, mainly because of their reliability, while cars such as Mercedes have been dropping down the list recently due to their recent poor build quality. Granted, it's not an entirely scientific test, but then there's no entirely scientific way to compare two different cars! Objective is a much over-used and little-understood word. In the UK version though respondants come from all over the country and rarely have localised car alliegences.
Did I say "meaningless"? Nope. I said "near meaningless". Big difference. One is absolute and the other has a margin of usefulness.

So, nowhere in the UK are there localized car alliegences? I HIGHLY doubt that.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 08:13 AM

"he Kia Amanti was the top-ranked "Premium midsize car" in the survey and the Kia Sportage was the top-ranked "Entry SUV." (The discontinued Pontiac Aztek placed third, after the Nissan Xterra, in the "Entry SUV" category.)"

Something's fishy there.... People actually volunteered to buy that thing?

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Did I say "meaningless"? Nope. I said "near meaningless". Big difference. One is absolute and the other has a margin of usefulness.

So, nowhere in the UK are there localized car alliegences? I HIGHLY doubt that.
Oh right. Meaningless, 'near' meaningless. Either way, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the importance of consumer satisfaction, something which I would say was one of the most important factors in whether or not a car is worth buying.

As to local alliegences in the UK - there are no indigenous volume car manufacturers left in the UK with the closure of Rover recently. The Mini factory (owned by BMW) is in Oxford but I didn't notice that making much difference to the locals, as people all over the UK like Minis. So yeah, I don't think there are many local alliegences that would be of significance in the JD Power survey here. And anyway, like I said, the UK JD Power survey takes responses from all over the UK.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 10:28 AM

You see a lot of Peugeot's in Coventry, because there's a plant here, and they employ a massive number of people, so I suspect a lot of that is down to company cars. I would imagine you would see a lot of Toyota's in the Burton/Derby area as well, for a similar reason.

When averaged across the whole country though, I doubt that has a significant impact on the survey.
12" Rev B PB

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 11:34 AM

J. D. Power & Associates was invented in 1996. I'm still convinced there was never a "J. D. Power" and that all they do is get paid a crap load of money by companies just to say that their products are the best.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2005, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
"he Kia Amanti was the top-ranked "Premium midsize car" in the survey and the Kia Sportage was the top-ranked "Entry SUV." (The discontinued Pontiac Aztek placed third, after the Nissan Xterra, in the "Entry SUV" category.)"

Something's fishy there.... People actually volunteered to buy that thing?
I can't stand to even look at the thing, but I know a few people who bought it and they love them. I know one family with two of them.

One great thing about owning one is you never have to worry about someone stealing it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules