Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who received Christmas bonus? How much?

Who received Christmas bonus? How much?
acadian
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 10:20 AM

Last year I got a crappy token of a bonus but this year due to my handling of a Nike contract I received $1500.00......woohooo!.... Unfortunately it's ALL going to pay off debt but still, nice little perk...
people ruin everything....

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 10:39 AM

Four years ago my company gave out little cans of peanuts (seriously). Three years ago they moved up to $15 in movie tickets. Two years ago we got $15 in movie tickets and $20 in red lobster gift certificates. Last year we got $15 in movie tickets and a $50 Outback Steakhouse gift card. This year they gave exactly the same as last year... $15 in movie tickets and a $50 Outback Steakhouse gift card. So it appears to have leveled out at a whopping $65 per employee.

Three years ago our x-mas party was in the evening, with good food, and they invited our significant others. Two years ago years ago they moved it to during work time, invited significant others, had pretty good food, and let us go home afterwards (at around 2ish). Last year they put it during lunch time, food was decent, significant others were NOT invited, but we got to go home early. This year it was during lunch time, significant others were NOT included, and we had to go back to work afterwards. Yeah, nobody is real happy with this trend. Next year they may just give out a card and say to continue working.

The company I work for has about 35 employees and has an annual revenue that has grown from about $2 million from 4 years ago to about $4 million this year. The cheapskates.

When I was a janitor for a middle school a few years ago they at least gave me a 1% x-mas bonus.. which only amounted to a couple hundred bucks, but it was way better than the current bonuses at my "career" type job.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 10:46 AM

I don't get Christmas bonuses (except under the sheets and from my husband ) but my husband got a $5000 Christmas bonus which ends up being about $3500 take home after taxes and by the time he buys all of his managers Christmas gifts (we gift them ourselves) will be about $2500. They also gave him an extra week's salary for free - never expected that in a million years - because he didn't take a week's vacation. (He's a workaholic.)

I was really stoked because last year it was $1000, but he's been promoted since then.

Exxon Mobil.

BUT, with all of that said, his salary is based, in part, on performance of retail locations and because of the hurricanes this summer, including Wilma, we were biting the bullet big time this summer with finances.

So, it kind of evens out in the end.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 10:48 AM

I'll get about $6000 this year (in March, probably). Time for another Roth IRA! w00t!!11!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I don't get Christmas boners (except under the sheets and from my husband )

So, it kind of evens out in the end.
Fixed.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 11:27 AM

No Christmas bonus.

Mine is from Jesus, wife, and friends.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 11:39 AM

As a bonus, my graduate advisor gave me a project to do over the break. Happy Holidays!

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2005, 11:41 AM

$1000

Much better than last year....but missed out on some perks this year, so evens out I guess.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 11:46 AM

Well, I got my paycheck, and am still employed. That is a great bonus, seeing as how a lot of my friends in the auto industry were 'let go' or will be after the 1st of the year.
( Last edited by residentEvil; Dec 17, 2005 at 12:00 PM. )

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 11:56 AM

0,- $

Wait, I don't have an employer…

EDIT: And just for those who think they don't have enough money: My current acct balance is -2,36- €.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 12:12 PM

$0.00

But I'm happy at my current employer, which is what is important to me.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 12:14 PM

Christmas Bonus, my company things my employement is bonus enough and I should be happy that I work there. It pays the bills so I'm pleased that I'm employed just not working there. Every year they take something away and calling it good (the old addition through subtraction mentality).

Mike

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
No Christmas bonus.

Mine is from Jesus, wife, and friends.
good luck buying something with that.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 12:33 PM

No Christmas bonus and the Christmas party they throw for us, we have to pay like $25 a ticket....Needless to say, I don't go.
Who reads this???

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 12:35 PM

Daracle: You must work for Apple, Canadian division?

Just kidding.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 12:36 PM

On second thought, I suggest that we all start a Christmas Paypal fund for Andreas_g4: Help him get out of debt.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 01:41 PM

I don't get Christmas bonuses (except under the sheets and from my husband )

More posts about this and less about other trivial matters, please.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 01:55 PM

Want video?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 01:57 PM

What's a Christmas bonus? It is unheard of in my line of work, is it a union thing? Or for high rise managers?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 02:06 PM

$0.00 which is fine... they are good people to work for...

It's interesting that many of you that get $20 and up complain it's not more...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:09 PM

I'm not complaining.

We were thrilled. We thanked the good Lord in his heaven for the VERY GENEROUS person in charge of giving it to us.

We really do.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
What's a Christmas bonus? It is unheard of in my line of work, is it a union thing? Or for high rise managers?
It's just some extra money that some companies will give employees for a job well done.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 02:18 PM

No bonus, but everyone received a gift. I got Shure E3c earphones and a $25 iTunes gift card. Others received either an iPod Nano, digital camera, Sony PSP, or Bulls tickets.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 02:20 PM

No X-Mas bonus for me, but there will be a year-end bonus that's paid out sometime in March/early April.

BUT, with all of that said, his salary is based, in part, on performance of retail locations ....
Part of his base salary is based on performance? Or, part of his incentive, i.e., bonus? Typically, your base salary cannot be messed with/changed. There are tons of laws that prevent employers from doing that, and for good reasons.

Having said that, I suppose it could still be true and as a compensation professional myself, I find it interesting. Could you tell me what your husband does for Exxon? If you don't feel like telling everyone, perhaps you can PM me.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:26 PM

You're right, actually.

His salary is his salary and never changes.

Yes, I guess his bonus is an incentive. I didn't realize that there is a difference.

He did work in the legal department, but then he was promoted to running the division that has retail stores. He makes 10% on the profit of those stores (after costs) that are affiliated with Exxon Mobil. It is a large chain, actually. I don't think I should say more than that, though.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 02:30 PM

... He makes 10% on the profit of those stores (after costs) that are affiliated with Exxon Mobil. ...
Ah, okay, that makes more sense. And, 10% isn't too shabby

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:53 PM

It's not? I'm not sure. I know he LOVES his job, his life is devoted to it, he's 100% company man through-and-through. There are other perks such as their retirement plan, etc., which supposedly is also very good. I'm not sure how or why, but he says it is.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 17, 2005, 04:39 PM

I got drunk and kissed myself in the mirror for a good year well done.

Does that mean I'm gay?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
$0.00 which is fine... they are good people to work for...

It's interesting that many of you that get $20 and up complain it's not more...

In the past, christmas bonuses where pretty much standard for all jobs but they are now dwindling away it seems. More money for the company and less for the employees is the current trend.

We have made it to the point where most items are disposable, and that idea seems to have carried over to employees now. Most employers no longer offer retirement, do not offer good benefit packages, and do not give any incentive to a person to remain loyal to the company. A christmas bonus is something to say "thanks for sticking with us another year". A little appreciation from an employer often goes a long way with employees. That being said, when a "bonus" is given that has no real value, it's kind of like a slap in the face. Kind of like a rich man going to a restaurant and leaving a quarter ($.25) for his tip to a waitress that did a great job.

In my mind a christmas bonus is something that lets people know they are appreciated. A pat on the back is nice, but money in the pocket is more sincere from an employer. Pats on the back can (and often are) fake, but money is real.

Note: I work because I need money to live and enjoy being with my family, not for the enjoyment of working for someone else. I will work hard for anyone, but they should show me that it is appreciated.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 05:11 PM

Yes, I did. A lot, even after taxes.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 05:49 PM

It's not? I'm not sure. ...
The only reason I said it wasn't too bad is because you said it was a large chain. I basically took that as a lot of little chunks adding up to a nice sum. But, maybe the stores aren't making a whole lot of money (at least after expenses), and so that's why you don't think your hubby's bonus isn't that big.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 06:31 PM

What? Companies give out bonuses? I might have to print this thread out and post it up at my job.

Now watch, after the lovely, yeah right, company get together tonight they will...
- Eric

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 06:41 PM

Yeah, E. Well, we had one of the worst summers ever with the hurricanes that came through. Our business is in the Southeast, primarily, so we were severely affected. Some of the locations weren't open for 6 weeks afterwards.

But, I'm not complaining.

I have a job myself, it's going very well, and I have me as my own boss so I'm always Employee of the Month - and I get the parking space closest to the door.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 06:46 PM

Want video?

Actually yes. What is a Christmas bonus anyway? If it's good I may have to ask the little lady for it this year (as I've been a good little boy).

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 06:53 PM

I'm wondering if I will get one considering my last day is 12/23- (after 9 years, I am moving). In my mind, I should, it is for past year's work. BUT, I don't hink so. The 3 others that work for me got raises last month (after nearly 4 years) and I didn't. Understandable, but I think my boss is taking advantage of my leaving. I will still work for him via the net and such but I have to say, incentive would be nice.

BTW- they have ranged from 0 to $50 to $1000... in the past.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2005, 07:01 PM

I work at Lowe's. They're cheap asses and only give $35, which is taxed out the ass. I think I figured the net amount to be around $16.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 07:04 PM

The best I got wasn't really a bonus, but a €2000 prime for actually working on christmas day.

andi*pandi
Dec 17, 2005, 07:47 PM

this year it was $150, a little flashlight with the company logo on it, and a fun party with entertainment and good food. I was hoping it was more, after they surprised us with a $750 bonus this summer, thought the trend was going up... which would have been nice... but I'm not too annoyed.

When I started the bonus was $50 and the company party sucked.

still nostalgic for my last job, which gave out $1000 bonuses...

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 17, 2005, 07:58 PM

I got a dead bird a few times.

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 08:00 PM

zilch. nada....

But I guess they do provide a lot of incentives such as excellence awards and other related items (for which you need to be 'nominated' for) that range from $250-$1000.

The only thing my company does throughout for everyone is a HUGE x-mas party and up to a 10% donation (based on company performance) to your 401K at the beggining of the year (this is regardless of how much or little you put in yourself).

mindwaves
Dec 17, 2005, 08:06 PM

I get my bonus in March-April which is the year end bonus just not at year end. It amounts to ~12 days of extra pay.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 08:27 PM

Our March - April "bonus" is an IRS income tax refund.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
0,- $

Wait, I don't have an employer…

EDIT: And just for those who think they don't have enough money: My current acct balance is -2,36- €.
Wow, you can't afford to buy stuff that is free...

As for myself a $25 gift card to a grocery store, which I quickly just regifted to my mother,seeing as I don't shop at that chain.

Sadly, (and oddly), the best (and only other) Christmas bonus I got was when I was 17 and working at a grocery store (actually the chain I don't shop at, which the gift card is from), when I basically got a bonus equal to my average paycheck (like $45 since I was a part-timer, lol)

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 09:55 PM

I'd ransack a small town or village for a 1500 dollar Xmass bonus...

I do tech work and we're informed we're lucky we still have jobs...and a pat on the back beats a kick in the ass out the door!

oh, and I've never had one...ever
Joe

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 10:36 PM

Got a $50 Christmas bonus from my part-time job (15 hrs/wk) even though the company is failing. Rather generous under the circumstances.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Dec 17, 2005, 10:59 PM

Well no bonus and no raise again, but this year instead of giving a box of chocolates we get little mugs with the company logo on them...

Sometimes I wonder why I work so hard and go beyond the call of duty...
- Eric

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 11:42 PM

Anyone getting surprised for not receiving a Christmas bonus: re-read your employee booklet or contract. You should have bargained that in your job interview.
If you are unhappy with your compensation, there's always other companies in your line of work in your town*.

*Except when there really aren't.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 03:55 AM

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 08:17 AM

No Christmas bonus as far as I'm aware, but I've just started a new job (just finished my first week), and I get my first pay cheque on 21st, which includes pay up until the end of December, so that'll do me.

I've gone from working for one of the worst Universities in the country who made me redundant to working for one of the best in the country in their business school which is world renowned, on their MBA programme which is the 17th best in Europe, 53rd in the world. So at the moment I'm just reeling in shock at the differences in attitude, facilities etc.
12" Rev B PB

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 10:26 PM

i should know sometime in January though I don't think it'll be much since I started working in June, if any at all.
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules