Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'd like to do this with iTunes

I'd like to do this with iTunes
itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 08:12 PM

I'd like to be able to stream the music i'm currently listening to in iTunes over the internet. Any ideas?

edit: Silly me! Google knows all! Here's an excellent app that will do this if anyone's interested: NiceCast
( Last edited by itistoday; Mar 14, 2005 at 08:38 PM. )

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 09:22 PM

iTunes had this functionality, but people started stealing music at scary rates using thir party apps.
so apple disabled the functionality (actually they limited it to local nets only)

iTunes 4.0 does it I think
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 09:53 PM

Btw, Nicecast uses icecast to stream the music. I think it actually acts like Audio Hijack to get the sound from iTunes, which it then forwards to icecast. icecast is a free utility that can be downloaded with fink.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 10:00 PM

Sushi Server is another nice one for song-by-song play. Idiot-simple to set up as well.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Btw, Nicecast uses icecast to stream the music. I think it actually acts like Audio Hijack to get the sound from iTunes, which it then forwards to icecast. icecast is a free utility that can be downloaded with fink.
You don't need icecast to stream with Nicecast. Just connect to http://your.ip:8000/playlist.pls and you're set. I broadcast our favourite playlists, so my wife and I can listen to them from work.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
You don't need icecast to stream with Nicecast. Just connect to http://your.ip:8000/playlist.pls and you're set. I broadcast our favourite playlists, so my wife and I can listen to them from work.
Yeah I know, I was just explaining how I thought the application worked.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 12:44 AM

I use an app called Machete.

Forum Links
Forum Rules