Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 32)
reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Glue???
Feel free to substitute a more appropriate word for the rim seal. I haven't seated tires, so "glue" was the word that came to mind.

Hmm... I wonder if Elmers Glue would actually work on a tire. Kinda like those people who ran out of Arctic Silver, and tried toothpaste for thermal paste on their CPUs. It worked almost as well. Though I expect the performance decreased as the toothpaste dried out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 4, 2023, 01:13 PM

The seal of a rim to a tire is purely mechanical, there's no glue or sealant used. A lubricant is applied to help the tire slide over the wheel easily, but it plays no part in assuring an airtight connection.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I was thinking mounting lubricant. There is an awful lot of force involved in mounting a tire on a rim. The lubricant lets the tire’s bead slip into the rim’s groove smoothly.

Which reminds me that I should look into something like that for my bicycle; I need to change out tubes, and remounting the tires will be physically challenging, even with decent tools.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 4, 2023, 01:54 PM

Groove???

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 01:58 PM

Tire Bead Sealer. Whenever I get tires done, I always see them use something like this. You can buy it too, for under $17. eBay or Amazon

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2023, 02:47 PM

No, they're probably using something like this:

Or more like this:

Bead Sealer is for repairing defective products, and is not used as standard for mounting passenger tires.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jul 4, 2023 at 03:12 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 07:21 PM

Groove???
Rim/edge/groove/place for the bead. It was the best word I had at the time.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 07:46 PM

Bead Sealer is for repairing defective products, and is not used as standard for mounting passenger tires.
I don't go through a lot of tires, but next time, I'll try to dashcam-video the operation. I don't buy used tires, they're always new. And I could swear they swabbed each rim with an applicator-in-can like the one shown. The solution was more clear than opaque, and made me think of PVC glue. It wasn't the color of either of your lube samples.

It could be years before I need tires again though, so perhaps someone else could do some spycam work sooner.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2023, 09:05 PM

As I recall, the tire retailer that I’ve bought from used a clear, soapy-looking lube. Some commercial tire mounting lubricants are are marketed with dilution instructions for spray applications, but they used what looked like a big swab instead of spraying it. This was NOT the soap mixture they use to look for leaks.

Of note, I haven’t had a car with steel rims for probably 20 years, so the “corrosion preventing” lubes wouldn’t be appropriate for my aluminum rims.

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2023, 02:37 AM

I knew the my local tire shop had gone downhill after the very competent manager passed on, when the next time I was in with a leak, they suggested it was rusty rims, (without doing the soap test) and rather than scrub them and repaint them, they wanted to sell me whole new rims.

After much perseverance where they swore they couldn't find the leak, suddenly after the manager was involved they found the small puncture they'd overlooked.

Sometimes it pays to be a Karen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2023, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Rim/edge/groove/place for the bead. It was the best word I had at the time.
Groove implies a step down, where the bead seat is actually a step up.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I don't go through a lot of tires, but next time, I'll try to dashcam-video the operation. I don't buy used tires, they're always new. And I could swear they swabbed each rim with an applicator-in-can like the one shown. The solution was more clear than opaque, and made me think of PVC glue. It wasn't the color of either of your lube samples.

It could be years before I need tires again though, so perhaps someone else could do some spycam work sooner.
No need for that - I could walk out the office door and about 100 feet over to our tire test lab where we mount and dismount tires all day for testing. Or go over to my racing buddy's house where he mounts tires for me in exchange for a six pack. It's a lubricant and not an adhesive.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2023, 09:47 AM

Groove implies a step down, where the bead seat is actually a step up.

That’s the clearest illustration I’ve seen of how the rim and tire meet. An auto rim (especially for a tubeless radial tire) is substantially different from a bicycle rim - and my hands-on experience has been totally with changing bicycle tires.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2023, 07:49 PM

Every mountain bike uses tubeless tires nowadays. Rims aren’t dissimilar to auto, no bead hooks any more. Probably different for road bikes though? Cheers
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2023, 02:03 PM

Ours are trail (not quite mountain) bikes, and they’re quite old by now, so the more recent versions of our models may be tubeless.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2023, 12:53 PM

So I got a new job at a college in the next town over, so I can no longer walk to work.
This means I need a car that I can use daily as opposed to a toy that I use sporadically. So, a man came and trailered the 205 rally car away.

It was fun. Had four years of events and nothing really went bang despite my atrocious lack of spending on the car, so I feel it was both a fantastic toy and a time bomb waiting to happen. Eitherway it's someone else's now.

IMG_3214 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

Filling the gap, and staying brand loyal is the new car on the block.

IMG_3313 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

IMG_3261 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

IMG_3315 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

2.7 v6 HDi twin turbo. Soooo much torque. So many toys that may or may not continue to work!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2023, 01:46 PM

Nice! feels like it's missing some stickers though.

Do you still do mac work on your own or just the main college job?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2023, 02:41 PM

I pretty much full time lecture in computing now but I still keep some clients and do some emergency fixes. Got to keep your hand in.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2023, 04:10 PM

I'm going to miss your headlights competition with other rally cars. The new Peugeot only has two. Looks nice in other respects.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2023, 08:09 AM

Pic from this weekend's event.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2023, 11:49 AM

Laminar, I assume that's a 3-series BMW; which model? Is the color "Titanium"? That's what my X3 was. It sure looks like you're having a good time with it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2023, 04:43 PM

It's the M3 - the color is Arctic Silver Metallic, though the fenders are partly from a spray can intended for a Chevy Impala. At some point I need to decide if I want to fix the rust and actually paint it or just give up and let it go.

Here's the video from racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwPNKTePVYY

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2023, 04:56 PM

I see. I thought the color was a little darker than my X3.

The racing was very cool. I’m sure there are going to be folks who don’t see how that was racing, but I sure do. It looked like a lot of fun.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 25, 2023, 06:11 PM

Embedded Laminar's video.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2023, 06:35 PM

I see. I thought the color was a little darker than my X3.

The racing was very cool. I’m sure there are going to be folks who don’t see how that was racing, but I sure do. It looked like a lot of fun.
Looked most fun with the drift near the end on Saturday.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2023, 07:02 AM

Autocross is great because it is low risk of mechanical damage, low risk of physical damage as speeds are low, low cost of entry ($35 for the day) and still lots of fun. It is not a huge amount of seat time - we got 8 30-second long runs over the course of a 7 hour day. Depending on the venue it may be 60-80 second runs, but it doesn't compare to a typical track day with 3 20-minute sessions. Of course, as speeds go up, so does the wear and tear on the car, along with the possibility of an off-track incident with extensive damage.

Saturday I ended up with the fastest time of the day of everyone there. Sunday's run would have been good for second fastest, but on the last loop around the far turnaround, I popped a cone - you can see the corner workers start to run for it after I go past. I ended up 6th overall as my next-fastest run was quite a bit slower.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2023, 07:06 AM

And an aside - with this video embedded here and on the BMW forums, I'm getting some wild recommended videos:

If I watch it on YouTube directly, my recommendations are actually what I do, have, or would watch:

Is the forum embedding software purposely promoting certain videos, or does YouTube recognize when something is being embedded on a forum and show different recommendations?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 26, 2023, 11:33 AM

Is the forum embedding software purposely promoting certain videos, or does YouTube recognize when something is being embedded on a forum and show different recommendations?
My impression is YouTube ignores embeds on forums. When I watch one, it doesn't seem to affect my recommendations. When I click over to watch on YouTube, my recommendations change. Though I haven't tested this in awhile.

Shall I remove my embed? I thought you weren't familiar with the tags - didn't realize it was intentional.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2023, 11:50 AM

Oh no, I'm not worried about it - I'm just trying to figure out why those specific out-there recommendations came up when the video was embedded in two different places.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2023, 01:12 PM

My recommendation was about how to properly wire an electrical socket.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2023, 02:41 PM

we got 8 30-second long runs over the course of a 7 hour day.
Do you do “throwaway runs” early in the day just to get a feel for the track and how hard you can push it?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2023, 03:28 PM

Yeah, back to car stuff. What kind of speed were you going on your fastest run?

Thorzdad
Jul 31, 2023, 10:36 AM

We officially became old hippies over the weekend. We bought a low-mile used Subaru Forester on Saturday. It turns out Foresters are one of the few cars of recent vintage that still have CD players, and that’s important to us olds who have hundreds of the things

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2023, 10:47 AM

Yeah, back to car stuff. What kind of speed were you going on your fastest run?
On Saturday, data shows me finishing around 55mph. I didn't log data on Sunday since I forgot my GoPro, but it was over 60mph.

The general rule of thumb is that speeds should be kept below 70mph for safety purposes. We had an event earlier this year where I finished at over 80mph - in that case, going fast but straight was safer than adding curves to slow people down, but risking a spinout.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
We officially became old hippies over the weekend. We bought a low-mile used Subaru Forester on Saturday. It turns out Foresters are one of the few cars of recent vintage that still have CD players, and that’s important to us olds who have hundreds of the things
Welcome to the Subaru Club!

I confess to rarely using my cd player anymore.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2023, 01:04 PM

They have mp3 cd players.

Think of it. You could have access to literally hundreds of songs.

Thorzdad
Jul 31, 2023, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Welcome to the Subaru Club!

I confess to rarely using my cd player anymore.
Happy to join! We've been making due with our Honda Fit, and we always take a bunch of discs to listen to on any out-of-town trip longer than 30 minutes.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2023, 02:31 PM

I have a teen who immediately hijacks any sound system with her spotify playlists. Occasionally I play music from my actual phone, so old-fashioned. But even more so, I listen to the RADIO.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2023, 03:10 PM

I used to listen to NPR, but somewhere during the Trump administration I began to find road noise more appealing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2023, 04:24 PM

I have a teen who immediately hijacks any sound system with her spotify playlists. Occasionally I play music from my actual phone, so old-fashioned. But even more so, I listen to the RADIO.
"You could have played an 8-track tape. IF...you knew what an 8-track tape looked like."

I haven't listened to Spotify in years but that ad is still burned into my head.

"But you listened to Spotify. Thanks for that!"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2023, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I used to listen to NPR, but somewhere during the Trump administration I began to find road noise more appealing.
I tried listening to the NYT daily podcast several years back and everything was so doom and gloom that it felt like it was negatively impacting my mental health. Now that I've cut Reddit out of my life, I get no news from anywhere and...it feels good? MacNN is the only place I encounter the news, and it's very seldom and also filtered through people I know and I can trust the discussions we have.

Thorzdad
Jul 31, 2023, 04:32 PM

We do radio all the time, if we’re in range of a station we like, which can be pretty challenging driving around in Indiana. When we’re test-driving cars, I like to tune the radio to one of our stations and making it a pre-set.

I just refuse to subscribe to a music streaming service, especially for a car. That includes Sirius/xm or whatever it’s called. I’m an old.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2023, 04:33 PM

"You could have played an 8-track tape. IF...you knew what an 8-track tape looked like."
I... do know what an 8-track looks like. My brother had Dr. Hook and classic rock tapes. My sister had beatles 45s.

We are mean parents who do not pay for spotify and the ads now are very annoying.

Thorzdad
Jul 31, 2023, 04:44 PM

I... do know what an 8-track looks like. My brother had Dr. Hook and classic rock tapes. My sister had beatles 45s.

We are mean parents who do not pay for spotify and the ads now are very annoying.
I do listen to Pandora sometimes at home. Luckily, my stations are obscure enough that the frequency of the ads isn’t too bad. Certainly better than radio anymore.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2023, 05:57 PM

I do Pandora at home, but my main station, while excellent, isn’t good driving music.

Thorzdad
Jul 31, 2023, 08:14 PM

I get that. There’s some music I really love, but requires attention, and that’s not good for driving.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2023, 09:22 PM

We use Apple Car Play or SiriusXM for travel tunes, depending on our moods and so on.

Occasionally I notice that the nav/infotainment system has rebooted by noticing that the audio comes on with the local classical NPR station. We stopped even checking in with the news side of NPR a long time ago. Not because we thought they reported poorly, but because they reported honestly, and the honest truth then was pretty dark.

In a couple of months, we’re heading to the Big Bend region of Texas. The drive is pretty long, but the combination of the company (my lovely wife) and music we don’t have to worry about - from our phones or via satellite - makes it quite pleasant.

Oh, and when our son borrows our car (his had less capacity for hauling stuff around), he plays his tunes from his phone via Car Play, or he goes along with what we left selected on SiriusXM.

So we don’t really miss not having a CD player in the car. Any disc we buy gets ripped to a phone anyway, so we have only our phones to haul instead of phones and a big wad of CDs. And digitized tunes aren’t going to melt in the sun, get stuck in the player, etc.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2023, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I get that. There’s some music I really love, but requires attention, and that’s not good for driving.
Well, I wouldn’t say my main station requires, or even necessarily deserves attention, it’s light pop. However, for driving, I want music you’re supposed to crank.

Edit: my artist seeds are…

Maty Noyse
Jem
Poppy
Au/Ra
Bea Miller
Tove Lo
Sia
Halsey
Ellie Goulding
Billie Eilish
Melanie Martinez
And I need to add Marina

A few of them deserve attention.

Thorzdad
Aug 5, 2023, 08:44 PM

Damn, dude. That looks a lot like what pops-up in my Pandora streams. Nice to see another Melanie Martinez fan. And Bea Miller!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2023, 09:37 PM

Cry Baby is a frigging brilliant album.

Bea scares me a little. Her take on the world is a bit too “adult” for her age.

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2023, 09:49 PM

I feel old, I only know 3 of those.

Forum Links
Forum Rules