Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Hub/router which one??

Hub/router which one??
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 09:56 PM

Hello,

Just bought netgear websafe router (wired) model RP614 to get it hooked with my Mac and PC on DSL line. But it's not working and I did follow all the manual correctly and tried couple times individually on both system and nothing happen. It was connected to their site http/192.168.0.1 but after done with all the step by step procedures and log out, this damn thing made me couldn't browse the internet.

I don't think I'm dumb on this thing but it's just this the first time I'm using router. BTW I do have airport express and I found no hard time installing it. Anyway, is anyone using netgear having the same problem with me especially the same model? do you think netgear sucks? should I better go with linksys or Dlink? thanks guys so far this forum has been great!.

Ike
( Last edited by maxx9photo; Sep 21, 2004 at 12:07 AM. )

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 05:45 PM

I have the same router and it works fine on my network.
Originally posted by maxx9photo:
....and tried couple times individually on both system and nothing happen.
This makes me believe that your problem is not with the router but actually with you connecting to the DSL line. Make sure you have your login and password correctly. If you're going to be running DHCP, make sure both computers are set up that way as well.

Originally posted by maxx9photo:
It was connected to their site http/192.168.0.1 but after done with all the step by step procedures and log out, this damn thing made me couldn't browse the internet.
That's not their site or the internet for the matter. That's just the web-based router control panel where you adjust all its settings.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 08:24 AM

I have that same router in a mixed PC, Mac, PS2 network. No problems here.

You realize that besides setting up the router, the client machines must be changed as well. For example: if you formerly had your Mac straight connected to your DSL, you probably had it set to use PPPoE in the network settings (and you had to put in a username, password etc. to connect to your DSL account). Once you have a router, the router itself is the connection to your DSL account and all machines hooked to it need to be set to passively receive the signal it provides. In other words, they should be set to be DHCP clients to the router.

Check these two things:
In the router config (192.168.0.1) check the "Router Status" item on the left. If it is properly connected to the internet, you will see an IP address listed under Internet Port -> IP Address. There is also a "Connection status" button at the bottom you can push to see if your router is connected. If your router is showing that it is connected, then your problem probably lies in the setup of your machines. If the router is not connected, then the problem is in your router config or in the DSL modem.

In your Mac's Network Preferences, look at the location you are using --> Built-in Ethernet. On the PPPoE tab, make sure that "Connect using PPPoE" is UNCHECKED ... otherwise your computer is still trying to manually connect to the internet instead of just receiving the downstream signal from the router. Once you've unchecked that, go back to the TCP/IP tab and choose "Using DHCP" from the "Configure IPv4" dropdown. Hit 'renew DHCP lease" and then the 'Apply Now" button at the bottom. Usernames, passwords, and connection info has all been moved to the router now ... you need to take it out of the individual computers as they no longer need it and , in fact, will no longer work if you try to connect this way. The computers are now DCHP clients of the router and need not maintain an internet connection of their own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules