Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Severe graphic problems after installing Jaguar...

Severe graphic problems after installing Jaguar...
szhvll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2002, 10:24 AM

I have a Powerbook G4 667MHz (first generation: ATI Rage, 16Mo VRAM) with 512 Mo RAM and I purchased and installed Jaguar yesterday. Everything went fine and I exeprienced none of the problems I read on the forums. But I am having a NEW BIG ONE: the windows leave trails after them when moved and their content is not drawn correctly, the icons are cut, same as with the buttons.

These problems came with Jaguar. I had 10.1.5 before running w/o any problem. I tried all 3 methods of installation w/o a change. Note that the first windows of the Jaguar installer are drawn OK! The first glitches come at the disc change during the installation.

I haven't read anything like this on the forums... Please has anyone experienced the same problems? PLEASE has anyone a solution?

ThanX in advance for your help!!!

Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)
Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)

szhvll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2002, 05:56 PM

Anyone has a clue please? I'm desperate...

Sal
Geneva
Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by szhvll:
I have a Powerbook G4 667MHz (first generation: ATI Rage, 16Mo VRAM) with 512 Mo RAM and I purchased and installed Jaguar yesterday. Everything went fine and I exeprienced none of the problems I read on the forums. But I am having a NEW BIG ONE: the windows leave trails after them when moved and their content is not drawn correctly, the icons are cut, same as with the buttons.

These problems came with Jaguar. I had 10.1.5 before running w/o any problem. I tried all 3 methods of installation w/o a change. Note that the first windows of the Jaguar installer are drawn OK! The first glitches come at the disc change during the installation.

I haven't read anything like this on the forums... Please has anyone experienced the same problems? PLEASE has anyone a solution?

ThanX in advance for your help!!!

Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)
Did you install drivers for your graphics card under 10.1?
If so, and you did an upgrade install, you may have some of those old drivers lurking about the system. 10.2 use different drivers than earlier versions.

Just a thought. If you did an "upgrade install", maybe you should do an "archive and install" or a fresh install.

Sophus

szhvll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 03:31 AM

I didn't install anything under 10.1. I have done all 3 kind of installations in this order: upgrade, archive and clean install. The latest with 3 hours of backuping all my files...

I suspect, as you do, that the driver's the problem. Is there a way of installing another one?

Thanks for your help!

Sal.
Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)

szhvll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 02:47 AM

Does anyone know a program that could allow me to change the screen resolution of my Powerbook?

Thank you!

Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)
Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by szhvll:
Does anyone know a program that could allow me to change the screen resolution of my Powerbook?

Thank you!

Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)
System Preferences : Display panel?

Unfortunately, Jaguar does seem to have inconsistencies riddled throughout it. Here's hoping a lot of them get cleaned up in 10.2.1 - a lot of people aren't going to wait for 10.2.2 - they'll just downgrade to what works.

szhvll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 01:11 PM

Thank you for your answer!

I omitted to say that of course I can't do anything with the "System Preferences: Display panel". It's greyed...

Is there a way using the terminal to change the resolution manually?

Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)
Sal
Geneva (Switzerland)

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

Unfortunately, Jaguar does seem to have inconsistencies riddled throughout it. Here's hoping a lot of them get cleaned up in 10.2.1 - a lot of people aren't going to wait for 10.2.2 - they'll just downgrade to what works.
That's really strange...I see a helluva lot less inconsistencies in Jag than 10.1...

Forum Links
Forum Rules