Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON!

powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON! (Page 10)
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Whatever. That is very easy for you to say:

"Powerbook 800 DVI, 512mb, Combo Drive, 40GB HDD, 32mb Video, Airport Card" -- Your sig.

If I had that current machine, I would be saying the exact same thing. I would not want my machine to degrade in value. Some of us however, skipped that upgrade waiting for something better. Though, a lot of us now have been waiting so long, we just can't really bare it any longer.
LOL. im over my denial stage. i understand a lot of you waited for a new PB, but think of it this way. are your willing to pay a PB has a CPU bump of 867-1GHz, same HDD, same RAM, same combo drive & same video card or would u wait a few more months & have an even better CPU, video card, superdrive/combo, usb2 & maybe bluetooth?

told everyone before if the new PBs get ATI 9000 & 64mb RAM video, i would sell mine to buy the new one but if the video stays the same, then i wouldnt until i can get a PB w/ 64mb video...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:

LOL. im over my denial stage. i understand a lot of you waited for a new PB, but think of it this way. are your willing to pay a PB has a CPU bump of 867-1GHz, same HDD, same RAM, same combo drive & same video card or would u wait a few more months & have an even better CPU, video card, superdrive/combo, usb2 & maybe bluetooth?

told everyone before if the new PBs get ATI 9000 & 64mb RAM video, i would sell mine to buy the new one but if the video stays the same, then i wouldnt until i can get a PB w/ 64mb video...
hehe, at this point, I have to say yes! I need a notebook. I have been waiting since March (wheen I joined macnn) I almost wish I had made the purchase when the 800 first came out. I honestly just can't wait any longer.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:36 AM

hehe, at this point, I have to say yes! I need a notebook. I have been waiting since March (wheen I joined macnn) I almost wish I had made the purchase when the 800 first came out. I honestly just can't wait any longer.
Oh, one comment. I have always intended to drop in the IBM travelstar GNX 40gig drive not matter which version I went with, so it doesn't really mattter how much space they include in a revised version.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:

Here's a proposition: save your money and get the old PowerBook and drop $899 on a 17-inch Apple display or $1,299 on a new, 19-inch Cinema display.
Ouch...those prices are still high. I can find DVI 17" LCDs much cheaper than that elsewhere. I was really hoping that the update in the display line would bring the prices back in line with the rest of the market.

Oh well. Tuesday/Wednesday should be fun.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 01:52 AM

Oh, one comment. I have always intended to drop in the IBM travelstar GNX 40gig drive not matter which version I went with, so it doesn't really mattter how much space they include in a revised version.
then go out & get a PB 800 DVI like i did & upgrade the HDD. stated before back then, if you need the PB now like i did then buy it, but if u can wait then wait. only a few more days to go for all of you peeps that waited. hehehe..

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Ouch...those prices are still high. I can find DVI 17" LCDs much cheaper than that elsewhere. I was really hoping that the update in the display line would bring the prices back in line with the rest of the market.

have you looked into Formac? they cheaper & even look better than the Cinema Display IMHO. they come in ADC or DVI.....

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

I'm not saying these displays are coming out Tuesday or Wednesday. And with Apple, you can't ever expect reasonable pricing. We have to pay a premium for innovation.

The 19-inch display is going to be something special, though. It isn't an ordinary 19-inch, SXGA-resolution panel. It's a wide, high-resolution panel that's unrivaled as of now. It's a little bit too high of a resolution for some, but I could get used to it.

The styling on the display is pretty similar to the 23-inch Cinema HD's. It's got the reflective Apple business going on. I can't say I care for it much because it picks up fingerprints easily.

But yes, in reaffirmation, Tuesday and Wednesday should be fun.

remohomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2002, 04:41 AM

doesn't look like there are any changes yet on the Apple site. I am not sure what time they update the site. I guess it could be tomorrow.

sunkist
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 08:56 AM

I'm betting no updates come out today or tomorrow. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Helps with all that disappointment stuff. I mean if you are going to speculate, you might as well be suprised rather than upset.

-Chris

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 09:46 AM

Well "Move to Mac" came out.....I never knew they were working on that?

So I guess we wait till Wed.

BTW, I am not buying a speedbump PB with a ATI 7500 GPU, and the same 133 Mhz bus..... if that's all it is then they can keep it.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

emerrill
Nov 5, 2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by remohomer:
doesn't look like there are any changes yet on the Apple site. I am not sure what time they update the site. I guess it could be tomorrow.
Remeber, the most consensious is on Web(which does make more sense than competing w/elections for air time, and even so, things most likely wont be up til 9 am PST, not EST.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 11:02 AM

I'm buying my first PowerBook ever as soon as Apple updates their site with the new lineup. I've been a desktop processor power geek up until now (I've developed a love for portability over the last 2 years). Anyway, to make a short story long, do I need any special adapters to hook the current 800Mhz model up to a regular Sony 17" Trinitron CRT? I want to be able to have everything ready when it shows up at my door!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 11:14 AM

dadder,

The PowerBook ships with a DVI >> VGA adapter. See here (scroll down the page):
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
dadder,

The PowerBook ships with a DVI >> VGA adapter. See here (scroll down the page):
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
scottiB,
thanks, that's cool and saves me a headache.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 11:21 AM

BTW, cool pumpkin

YeLordWindsor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 09:15 AM

Ohhhhhh baby, store.apple.com is down. A nice little post-it note is displayed on the site that says "We'll be back soon."

Crossing the fingers for a new PB.

emerrill
Nov 6, 2002, 10:18 AM

IVE ORDERED IT HEHEHEHE

1Ghz
1GB
60GB
Combo(super drive is avalible, so boh-ya all you doubters)

And actually the prices are very decent, esp with the double RAM promo, the top end(at least for ed) is only 2859
( Last edited by emerrill; Nov 6, 2002 at 10:34 AM. )

emerrill
Nov 6, 2002, 10:24 AM

Oh yeah a quick run down for you who dont know

867 and 1Ghz
40 and 60 GB hds
Radeon 9000 with 32 MB in the 867 and 64 MB in the 1Ghz
No bluetooth
SuperDrive avalible(only pre installed in top config)
Same otherwise

Also the superdrive option bumps you from 5-7 days to 3-4 weeks

hook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 11:04 AM

Slamm'n. Don't need the superdrive. But otherwise I'm very happy. Slower HDs? Something to do with heat issue? What's that about? Don't interpert this as a complaint. I'm about to order one of these right now.

5-7 days! Can't wait!

emerrill
Nov 6, 2002, 12:49 PM

Well they dont usually advertise things like heat issues, that would kinda be admitting there was a problem in the old one, you just have to wait and see. I was supprised that the 60GB is now 4200 instead of 5400 RPM, it was probably a power based desision (more juice to spin it faster)

zzzap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by zzzap:

Yes, I realize I don't have a lot going for me as I'm fairly new posting to this forum. But rest assured it's not pure conjecture. I reckon we'll keep this thread alive until the Day arrives so that all of us who claim to be in the know can compare notes and see who came the closest
As regards the exact date, noone can know for sure because the launch/release isn't tied to any specific event, so Apple will release the updated models when they feel like it. But you should all hold out until the first week of November. The final specs (PB/iBook) will be a mix of what has been aired in this forum i.e. (among other things) 1 GHz, SuperDrive (I know a lot of people can't envisage a SuperDrive in a PB. It has been a kind of Holy Grail to some, whilst others, on the other hand, would prefer to be without, but it's here, in the top end model, this is a _fact_), no iBook G4, modest iBook speed bump. No enclosure (external) change. And these are great specs, especially as regards the PB which now gets a decent upgrade that will fulfill most people's wishes (minus Bluetooth).
See you all here in November, then. (Or Wednesday ??)

-zzzap

Hi all,

I reckon I wasn't too far off the mark?

-zzzap

Forum Links
Forum Rules