Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > networking questions

networking questions
pyrogen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 11:08 PM

Hello,
I need to network my friends old G3 imac to her new Powermac. Can any one give me simple directions of how to do this (with the ethernet cable).
I sure its easy, I just want to make sure set the sharing, networking preferences correctly.
The G3 Imac is running OS9.2 and the new Powermac is running 10.2.2.

PS... she does not have firewire, burner, or zip drive for her G3 imac.

Thanks in advance,

Destin

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 5, 2003, 12:34 AM

1) Plug the ethernet crossover cable into each machine.

2) On the powermac (osx), open system preferences

3) Click 'Network' pane

4) Select "Built-in ethernet" from the 'Show:' pulldown menu.

5) Click on 'AppleTalk' tab. Click tick box next to "Make Apple Talk Active". Make sure 'Configure:' is on 'Automatically'.

6) Go back to system preferences then click 'sharing'.

7) In the services tab click the tick box next to "Personal File Sharing" in the list.

8) Wait a few seconds until "File sharing starting up..." says "personal file sharing on".

9) Go to the iMac

10) open the chooser, select Appletalk, then the powermac should be visible in the list. If it isn't, check that Mac OS 9 is configured to use Appletalk over ethernet (open Appletalk control panel on iMac and change it).

11) Double click the powermac name and enter the username & password of someone on the OSX machine.

12) The drive will mount on the desktop. Copy files across.
Luke

pyrogen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2003, 01:25 AM

Thank you sandsl!!

Destin

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:33 AM

make sure you have a crossover cable, also known as a patch cable, which looks the same as a normal ethernet networking cable, but is different.

However, newer powermacs can use a normal ethernet cable, so you might not have have to worry too much about that.

pyrogen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2003, 02:04 AM

I intend on using the cable that came with the new Powermac. The connecters are the same as ethernet cables, but the wire looks much thinner. Could this be a crossover cable?

Thanks,

Destin

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2003, 02:29 AM

You can't visually tell the difference between a crossover cable and a regular cable; a crossover cable is just a regular cable with the wires connecting to different points on both ends, instead of the same points.

You don't need a crossover cable with newer machines; they automatically figure out how to communicate with whatever cable you use.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
You can't visually tell the difference between a crossover cable and a regular cable; a crossover cable is just a regular cable with the wires connecting to different points on both ends, instead of the same points.

You don't need a crossover cable with newer machines; they automatically figure out how to communicate with whatever cable you use.
you can tell a cross-over cable - put the plastic jacks next to each other (both facing the same way).

If the colour-order of the wires inside the jacks matches then it's a normal cable - if the order is reflected then it's a cross-over cable.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 01:04 PM

Firstly, as said, no crossover cable is needed since the new Mac will auto-sense crossover (as will almost all the current Apple range).

Secondly i don't think you will have received an ethernet patch cable in the box - it's your modem cable, and it won't work.

Finally, just a tip: when i migrate to a newer box, i save the ENTIRE contents of the old one as a compressed image (using Disk Copy) onto the new Mac. That way i don't have to worry about losing some vital file i find i need six months later. Drive sizes have always increased suffiently for this to not be an issue!
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Forum Links
Forum Rules