Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Port Number for AOL?

Port Number for AOL?
Jowy
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 08:01 PM

Hi, let me explain the current situation. My dad recently replaced the router that our house uses to connect to the Internet because the old one was apparently not working as well at the time. So he got a NetGear WGR614V4 router. Well it works great except that AOL can no longer sign on. It makes its attempt and then looks like it's going through, but then pops up a dialog saying that it couldn't establish a full connection and that the web access and address book or something may not work properly. From there it either just goes into its spinning ball mode or will act like it's signed on with basically no options available from the top tool bar, and none of the default windows showing. Right now my guess is that the router is blocking off AOL's port, so I was wondering if there is a specific port or range of ports that the AOL client uses that I could configure for the router to allow through. I have looked at NetGear's site without any luck on the specific model. If you need further information, please let me know.

timkolb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jowy
Hi, let me explain the current situation. My dad recently replaced the router that our house uses to connect to the Internet because the old one was apparently not working as well at the time. So he got a NetGear WGR614V4 router. Well it works great except that AOL can no longer sign on. It makes its attempt and then looks like it's going through, but then pops up a dialog saying that it couldn't establish a full connection and that the web access and address book or something may not work properly. From there it either just goes into its spinning ball mode or will act like it's signed on with basically no options available from the top tool bar, and none of the default windows showing. Right now my guess is that the router is blocking off AOL's port, so I was wondering if there is a specific port or range of ports that the AOL client uses that I could configure for the router to allow through. I have looked at NetGear's site without any luck on the specific model. If you need further information, please let me know.

I have the same problem ... anyone ever herlp you out

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2005, 10:01 AM

My first question is what kind of broadband do you have? If you have DSL and your father failed to properly configure the router to establish a PPPoE connection, you just aren't getting online at all. It could also be that AOL needs smaller packets-any computer connecting to AOL should have its MTU set to 1400 to start.

Aside from advising you and everyone else to dump AOL (I don't think anyone gets a good value for their money from AOL, and there's also their being part of the Evil Empire...), I'd also check AOL's public web site to see if they have any other advice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

timkolb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
My first question is what kind of broadband do you have? If you have DSL and your father failed to properly configure the router to establish a PPPoE connection, you just aren't getting online at all. It could also be that AOL needs smaller packets-any computer connecting to AOL should have its MTU set to 1400 to start.

Aside from advising you and everyone else to dump AOL (I don't think anyone gets a good value for their money from AOL, and there's also their being part of the Evil Empire...), I'd also check AOL's public web site to see if they have any other advice.
My teen age daughter uses AOL ro communicate with her friends, I feel safe with her using it. Eventhing work fine with AOL and Broadband, until I installed a wireless router on my daughters PC. She can use AOL with no problem. Me on the other hand, can not eben seemot log on. I am using AOL with RoadRunner (Time Warner). Not sure how to set any thing up, and helpful suggestions?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules