Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.2.8 Networking / FM Pro 6 ???

Mac OS X 10.2.8 Networking / FM Pro 6 ???
Richard Clark
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

G4/867 DP
256MB RAM
Mac OS 10.2.8

We've got a gal that is having Filemaker Pro 5.5 or 6.0 (OS X installed) acting very slow when accessing databases on a server. Trying to tab from one field to another takes about 5 -10 seconds for it to happen after the key is hit.

The FM Pro 5.5 OS 9 version works fine in Classic. There is no slowdown.

I've deleted FM Pro 6 folder. Also the Filemaker Pro Host and 6.0 Preference have been deleted. Re-installed FM P 6 and still had the same problem.

Checked for udates at Filemaker's website and found 6.0v4. Downloaded it, installed it, didn't work.

Alot of the time the beachball will show up. So there is part of me thinking that it might be a networking issue with 10.2.8.

What network files can I delete and try to reset up in X? (in 9 it was the ApplesharePrep and Appletalk Prefences that helped with networking problems)

I've run disk permission repair for Disk Utility. Booted the machine into single user mode and ran FSCK -y: found an invalid directory item count, the volume bit map needed minor repair, and there was an invalid Volume Free block count. Everything was repaired. Ran fsck -y again and didn't find any problems.

I've also booted from the OS X install cd and ran Disk Utility which did not find any problems.

There are other co-workers that are running FM Pro 6 on the OS X side and are not having any problems. Also checked to see if other people were accessing the databases she was. At the time no one was in them.

So, it looks like

1. It's this machine
2. It maybe networking
3. It maybe some file in FM Pro (X) causing problems

Am I missing an important files when re-installing FM Pro???

Any help, tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

: )
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

Here's an update. I deleted the .plist file for Filemaker and the Filemaker Pro folder that in in the Users/Library/Users. It did not work.

Then created a new account. Logged out, logged into the new account, tried FM Pro 6 and had no problems. Very responsive.

Logged out and went back into the main account, did not turn on Classic and FM Pro 6 (OS X version) worked fine. After turning on Classic FM Pro 6 (OS X) got slower than molasas. Turn off Classic and the program was fine again.

I tried deleting some Classic preferences but it didn't work. Why would Classic be causing a problem?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

wallaper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 06:47 AM

Hello Richard, I rarely have classic running but have also found filemaker 6 to be slow since switching to osx. Upgrading to panther did not help either.

Wallaper

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 01:08 PM

I have a number of machines running Fm 6 on MacOS x (10.2.8 and 10.3.2) and they are running fine. I think that you have determined that something in the Classic environment is causing the slowdown.

Have you tried looking at "top" (command line) when Classic is running to see if it is some rouge process there chewing up your processor cycles?

My other idea is to look through the extensions on Classic, there might be something crufty there that is gumming up the works... Does she have FM 5.5 launching automatically in Classic?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 03:51 PM

If you have installed the 12/19 Security Update on your server, that is the likely source of the problem. There are lots of threads at Apple's Support forums. The patch screwed up the AFP server causing it to have extremely slow upload speeds but normal download speeds. This caused all sorts of slow downs on many different apps on my clients since their home folders were stored on the server. An easy fix is to download the OS X Server 10.2.8 Combo update and reinstall it. That will reinstall a working AFP server.
Vandelay Industries

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 04:38 PM

And of course, you shouldn't be accessing FMP files from an AFP server (BAD things happen), so I assume you are running a database shared from another copy of FMP, or FM Server 5.5. I'm not sure about your precise issue, but generally, the biggest factor in FM performance is the cache setting of the client. I ran some tests on this a couple of years back. As to Art's fix, i would suggest CharlesS's Pacifist - just pull out AppleFileServer.app from the 10.2.8 updater.
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

garetjax
Jan 25, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Jellytussle:
And of course, you shouldn't be accessing FMP files from an AFP server (BAD things happen), so I assume you are running a database shared from another copy of FMP, or FM Server 5.5. I'm not sure about your precise issue, but generally, the biggest factor in FM performance is the cache setting of the client. I ran some tests on this a couple of years back. As to Art's fix, i would suggest CharlesS's Pacifist - just pull out AppleFileServer.app from the 10.2.8 updater.
Jellytussle, what should the client cache be set at to maximize performance? Mine is set at 20K.

GJ

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the tips.

The database that is being accessed in on a Dell Server running FM Pro Server. So the 12/19 Security update is not the culprit.

It is Classic that is the problem. I've run top and didn't see anything really out of the ordinary. I deleted the ApplesharePrep, Appletalk, Finder, System and TCP/IP Preferences in Classic. Restarted and still had problems.

Then deleted Classic, Classic Support, Login, Panels, and System componenets from the System Folder, re-installed using the restore CD (which replaced just the files I had deleted), did not fix the problem.

If I kill Classic then FM Pro 6 (on OS X) works fine. So there is something on the Classic side that is causing problems.

So I guess I'll have to start going extension by extension and see what happens. Or it maybe something with X and I'll have to re-install??? (Entire Classic or X????)

I don't know. I've had a bad experience with re-installs for OS X. If I have to do a 10.2 re-install, even if it's a clean folder, the 10.2.8 update will not install due to an error. The work-a-round is to boot into 9 (since the 867DP can), delete the OS X system (files and folders) then re-install.

I ran into a situation on another G4/867DP where I couldn't boot into 9 and had to resort to re-initializing the HD. Meaning I had to move all files on to a server, initialize, install OS X, then 10.2.8 updates, then all the other updates, and then all the X apps. Plus copy files from the server back to HD. In this situation it was over 4 GB.
( Last edited by Richard Clark; Jan 26, 2004 at 11:25 AM. )

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 04:38 PM

Ok, this is weird. I get back to my desk this afternoon the gal's computer I've been troubleshooting is working fine running FM Pro 6 (OS X). She was running in one database. Had her go into another and it was fine.

She has in the past had it where the speed in FM Pro 6 was better in the afternoon. I saw this last week when first working on the problem. But all day Friday it was not working properly.

What the???

Forum Links
Forum Rules