Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > French MacNN'ers, I need your help.

French MacNN'ers, I need your help.
dcolton
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 04:56 PM

I have the opportunity to visit France in October. Oddly enough, my company will pay for my airline ticket, but not my hotel stay (I get a small per diem that would enable me to stay in a hotel for maybe two nights), so I am looking for a CHEAP hotel in or around Cannes. The cheapest I can find is 90 Euros per night. I know there is something cheaper out there! Any help or a nudge in the right direction is deeply appreciated.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 05:22 PM

In Spain you are able to get a good enough hotel for something like � 30 a night. If you go for a hostel type thingy you can find things for as low as � 12 a night - but that is pretty basic accommodations. France is a dash more expensive but not a lot. (+20% perhaps)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ambush
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 07:35 PM

Dude.. France? They betrayed your great nation!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I have the opportunity to visit France in October. Oddly enough, my company will pay for my airline ticket, but not my hotel stay (I get a small per diem that would enable me to stay in a hotel for maybe two nights), so I am looking for a CHEAP hotel in or around Cannes. The cheapest I can find is 90 Euros per night. I know there is something cheaper out there! Any help or a nudge in the right direction is deeply appreciated.
If you go with a privately owned hotel (family owned) you will find cheaper than that, especially in October. Check Expedia they have room starting at $47. It's gonna be a small room, but 2 stars means it's clean and safe. You just will not have the gym, pool, sauna and whatnot that you might be used to. But what would you go to Cannes if you wanna spend time in a gym?

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 10:16 PM

www.hostelworld.com should be a good place for starters.

Originally posted by ambush:
Yeah, just like Quebec betraying Canada so it's really no better then Chechnya, and should therefore be eliminated.

One Thousandth Post Completed.
F = ma

quandarry
Aug 18, 2004, 11:03 PM

when i went to europe they had these places called tourist hostels or some such thing.

like a cheap hotel...very basic...room...bed...cheap in the peso department tho.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:24 PM

Do you really want to say that? Lets not see another thread get burninated.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 10:22 AM

I suggest that you not look only in Cannes. I was just there and I stayed in a hostel in Nice. It was only about 30 minutes away. Look in the surrounding area. grab an atlas, find some smaller towns nearby that are connected by public transport, and get online and find something in those towns. Also, get a guide that is strong on accomodations and practical information. for a great tourist guide, grab one of the Eye Witness series.

PM if you want to know more, or see some photos.

Patrick

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
I suggest that you not look only in Cannes. I was just there and I stayed in a hostel in Nice. It was only about 30 minutes away. Look in the surrounding area. grab an atlas, find some smaller towns nearby that are connected by public transport, and get online and find something in those towns. Also, get a guide that is strong on accomodations and practical information. for a great tourist guide, grab one of the Eye Witness series.

PM if you want to know more, or see some photos.

Patrick
I am not against staying outside of Cannes, that is just where the conference is and I would like to be somewhat close since I am not certain about my itinerary. I'm not too keen on staying in a hostel, but Nice is definately an option. Thanks for all the help guys

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 10:54 AM

Google, c'est ton ami.

Here is a link to some hotels in Cannes, with prices ranging between 40 and 90 � for a single bed and even less if you're willing to stay outside of Cannes itself (such as this one in Hy�res for 28 �, which is fantastic if you love windsurfing- I used to windsurf there, but there are surely hotels closer to Cannes, such as this one in Fr�jus for 48 � a night a few kilometers from Cannes). October is off season so there should be no problem finding something.
weird wabbit

vexborg
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 10:56 AM

Hmmm... Who helped in kicking the English out of America?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 10:59 AM

What's your budget? How will you get to the conference center (are you renting a car)?

You should be able to find a 2 or 3 star hotel for between 30 and 50 Euros a night. There shouldn't be a problem finding a place in October. If I were you, I'd look for a "Chambre d'hote" (b 'n b) rather than a hotel. More personal although you'll probably need a car (Easy in Nice is probably your best bet). Have a look at kelkoo.fr under "voyages".

I've always stayed in Nice and driven to Cannes.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
What's your budget? How will you get to the conference center (are you renting a car)?

You should be able to find a 2 or 3 star hotel for between 30 and 50 Euros a night. There shouldn't be a problem finding a place in October. If I were you, I'd look for a "Chambre d'hote" (b 'n b) rather than a hotel. More personal although you'll probably need a car (Easy in Nice is probably your best bet). Have a look at kelkoo.fr under "voyages".

I've always stayed in Nice and driven to Cannes.
My French is horrible, but lets give this a try:

Merci. Le Chambre d'hote est une idee bonne. Pour le voiture, je besoin une permit internationale? Est il 'expensive' ou est une 'taxi' ou/ et le metro le chosir bon? Pour le Chambre d'hote, est il une toilette personelle avec une salle de bains ou est il 'shared?

Back to english...

As for the budget, Anything over 1,000 USD for hotel and flight is my responsibiltiy (Using a lot of miles to susidize the price of the flight) That leaves me about $680 for hotel...but I want to go much cheaper so I can have spending money without breaking into my personal funds.

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 02:24 PM

I just did a month and a half trip backpacking europe.
Honestly, some hostels really aren't that bad.
In Nice I paid 15 euros/night and had a room with a single bed and a sink. Bathroom was down the hall.
I suggest you look into hostels.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 02:55 PM

My French is horrible, but lets give this a try:

Merci. Le Chambre d'hote est une idee bonne. Pour le voiture, je besoin une permit internationale? Est il 'expensive' ou est une 'taxi' ou/ et le metro le chosir bon? Pour le Chambre d'hote, est il une toilette personelle avec une salle de bains ou est il 'shared?

Back to english...

As for the budget, Anything over 1,000 USD for hotel and flight is my responsibiltiy (Using a lot of miles to susidize the price of the flight) That leaves me about $680 for hotel...but I want to go much cheaper so I can have spending money without breaking into my personal funds.
Pas mal ton francais!!

If you have a US licence, then you don't need an international driver's licence. International Conventions are sometimes nice things

Not sure where you plane arrives. Probably Nice. A taxi from there to Cannes is expensive. No metro but there is probably a bus and maybe even a train. The train system in France is very good. If you book soon, you can get a car cheap though at the airport. Check out www.easycar.fr. They have A Class Mercs and Smarts quite cheap. In fact I think they've now linked up with someone else so maybe try a comparison with some of the other companies.

Okay, if we're on a budget then you're looking at b 'n b's with a car or 2 or three star hotels in Cannes. I used these guys once - http://www.venere.com/ They do reverse auctions for accomodation. Basically, you tell them what you want and they get the hotels to bid for your business. Worked well twice and once I had a bit of a bad experience with them, but you could try that.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Pas mal ton francais!!

If you have a US licence, then you don't need an international driver's licence. International Conventions are sometimes nice things

Not sure where you plane arrives. Probably Nice. A taxi from there to Cannes is expensive. No metro but there is probably a bus and maybe even a train. The train system in France is very good. If you book soon, you can get a car cheap though at the airport. Check out www.easycar.fr. They have A Class Mercs and Smarts quite cheap. In fact I think they've now linked up with someone else so maybe try a comparison with some of the other companies.

Okay, if we're on a budget then you're looking at b 'n b's with a car or 2 or three star hotels in Cannes. I used these guys once - http://www.venere.com/ They do reverse auctions for accomodation. Basically, you tell them what you want and they get the hotels to bid for your business. Worked well twice and once I had a bit of a bad experience with them, but you could try that.
TY,

I will definately check out your recommendations

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Google, c'est ton ami.

Here is a link to some hotels in Cannes, with prices ranging between 40 and 90 � for a single bed and even less if you're willing to stay outside of Cannes itself (such as this one in Hy�res for 28 �, which is fantastic if you love windsurfing- I used to windsurf there, but there are surely hotels closer to Cannes, such as this one in Fr�jus for 48 � a night a few kilometers from Cannes). October is off season so there should be no problem finding something.
Somehoww I missed your post theolin. Thanks. I tried the usual US hotel search engines and found very little that impressed me. I didn't even try google. Thanks for the links!

Forum Links
Forum Rules