Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Uniprocessor Firmware Update

Uniprocessor Firmware Update
Richard Clark
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 01:00 PM

This is more of an FYI than anything.

Yesterday I went to run the Uniprocessor Firmware update. The machine that I was working on was a G5/1.6. Machine shut down per the firware program. Went to start up machine and it wouldn't start up. Pressing on the power button would light but there wouldn't be a chime. As soon as letting go the light would turn off.

So I unplugged the power, didn't work. Then I went inside the machine and hit the Cuda switch. Then hit the power button, and the machine came on. It restarted, ran through the install with the bar, then the machine shut down.

I hit the power key button and guess what? The machine wouldn't come on again. So I hit the cuda again, then restarted, and it came back. Stated that the firmware was now up to day and it's been working fine since. I thought it was really wierd.

We have a lot of G5's here at work. I did try another 1.6 today and it worked without any problem. So maybe it was just the one machine.

I've got a G5/1.8 DP in my cubicle as well being used as a server. Ran the firmware on it just a little while ago and everything went fine. No problems, and I didn't have to crack to machine to hit the cuda.

It was just plain weird on the G5/1.6. Has anyone seen this? Or am I the only oddball?

heh! It wouldn't surprise me!

Well, I hope this is helpful. Have a good day!

( Last edited by Richard Clark; Sep 15, 2004 at 03:07 PM. )
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 05:50 PM

I've had Firmware updates do that in the past as well...sort of odd, but I never thought much about it after the fact...

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 08:39 AM

It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

This morning I started going around to update more workstations. The Uniprocessor Firmware Update is not showing in the Software Update.

I checked Apple's website and the the update is still available for download.

As of yesterday the update was showing up in the Software Update. I wonder if Apple has found a problem.

Has anyone been having problems with this?

Have a good day!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Forum Links
Forum Rules