Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro 3.0, what video card options

Mac Pro 3.0, what video card options
HyperX
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:03 PM

I have the ATI 1900 video card in my Mac pro (3 gigahertz Xeon dual). Over the last couple of weeks, (and before upgrading to leopard) I started to get weird artifacts on the monitor. They are video card related for sure. Its getting to the point where its unbearable. Instead of going to the old video card that my Mac came with, what are my upgrade options? What works in a Mac Pro (intel)?
--
Mac Pro 3.0 Gigahertz Xeon 8 gig RAM
Mac Air 128 gig SSD

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:16 PM

Artifacts are usually caused by overheating. The X1900 has a bad habit of its fan getting choked with dust, blowing it out with compressed air may help. If you have had artifacts for a long time there may be permanent damage from overheating.

HyperX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:25 PM

Yes!! That happened.. and I think now I am at a point of no return. It used to actually freeze on me (so itunes is running fine but mouse and all is done, until reboot) I blew out the dust and it was ok, but the artifacts started. I am hoping to get a video card with 512 megs of ram, and a better cooling design.
--
Mac Air 128 gig SSD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 07:02 PM

Well known/common issue. Even if you don't have AppleCare I'd try calling to see if they'll replace it for you.

Otherwise, plunking down $350 for another X1900 is your only option. The 8800GT will not work, and the 2600XT might work, but it's slower.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 09:40 PM

How long have you had the card... even if you don't have Applecare, they should replace it within the first year.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 10:02 PM

I had the same exact problem, Leonard and I installed the HD2600 tonight and it works http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...ac-pros-using/

iStat Pro says the Northbridge is running at 133 F though, however the artifacts are gone thankfully *knocks on wood*

HyperX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2008, 12:10 PM

I took the card out. What a piss poor design from ATI. I have blown the dust out of the card before, but today I took the heat sink apart. My last blowing actually pushed the dust further into the card. There is no way to blow all the dust out without taking the entire card apart - which is a PITA. Why would apple select such a piss poor design? Called apple, they said the 8800gt is shipping in 3 weeks and it will work in my Mac Pro Xeon (aka old Intel mac pro). This is great news!!

And no, I can't return the card to apple, since I upgraded to the ATI post purchase (from cdw.com).
--
Mac Air 128 gig SSD

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by HyperX View Post
I took the card out. What a piss poor design from ATI. I have blown the dust out of the card before, but today I took the heat sink apart. My last blowing actually pushed the dust further into the card. There is no way to blow all the dust out without taking the entire card apart - which is a PITA. Why would apple select such a piss poor design? Called apple, they said the 8800gt is shipping in 3 weeks and it will work in my Mac Pro Xeon (aka old Intel mac pro). This is great news!!

And no, I can't return the card to apple, since I upgraded to the ATI post purchase (from cdw.com).
I talked to Apple and was told the 8800GT would work in my old MacPro then I talked to them the next day and was told it would NOT work in my MacPro. According to numerous threads, there is a bug in the nVidia 8800GT that Apple is troubleshooting. Wait on getting the 8800GT...

Forum Links
Forum Rules