Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's that time again... Post your iTunes Top 25

It's that time again... Post your iTunes Top 25 (Page 11)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 10:39 AM

My database isn't exactly accurate either... I lost a lot of info back when my PB HD failed in '05. I did manually enter play counts for the top couple of hundred of songs though, because a fresh slate was just too messed up for me.
And yes, I realize how ****ing anal that is

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 10:46 AM

That is more anal than me trying to have anal bum cover for every single of my 25 000+ songs.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That is more anal than me trying to have anal bum cover for every single of my 25 000+ songs.
yeah...wow.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 10:54 AM

Partly, I did it because I was manually transferring ratings, too. My playlists were heavily grounded on ratings and playcounts back then.

I also made some generic artwork for some of the more random albums, just because I don't like the empty box in iTunes, but a small chunk of my library is still art-less

*I may be mistaken, but back then I don't think you could just drop the itunes data on a new computer the way you can now.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 11:01 AM

When is back then? Before my meltdown I had been transferring my iTunes library between several computers without losing counts since before OS X

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 11:04 AM

Mid-05 I believe.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I also made some generic artwork for some of the more random albums, just because I don't like the empty box in iTunes, but a small chunk of my library is still art-less
I have this nice little AppleScript called "Find Album Artwork with Google".

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 11:08 AM

There is no actual/legit artwork for a lot remixes I download(ed). Or bootlegs. Or some covers.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The bigger problem is that she just isn't Björk. The song probably wouldn't be boring if björk had sung it - whether you like her or not.
She did, actually (sort of): "Sweet Intuition" is in part the same song as "Bedtime Story".

The biggest problem I have with the album, though, is that MADONNA JUST COULDN'T ****ING SING at that point.

She didn't start taking serious lessons until "Evita", and that's one of the reasons why "Ray of Light" and "Music" are so good, IMO.
I can definitely hear a difference for the better after Evita, but to me, by far the greatest improvement in her singing abilities was between True Blue and Like a Prayer, when she stopped trying to sound like Minnie Mouse on helium. While it's technically probably not very good, I don't mind her voice on Erotica and Bedtime Stories one bit.

The reason I like Ray of Light and Music has less to do with her voice and much, much more with the production of the album. Same reason I think pretty much everything she's done after Music is fairly crappy—bad (no, not bad; uninteresting) production.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 11:56 AM

Here's something for you guys to check out: Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

Listen to the full album on Last.fm before it comes out on Sept. 22.

You UK people know them for sure, but they're still mostly ignored here in the States for whatever God-awful reason.

Also, here are my stats for the last week (boring):

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Sep 17, 2008 at 12:03 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 11:57 AM

There is no actual/legit artwork for a lot remixes I download(ed). Or bootlegs. Or some covers.
True. Though most bootlegs *do* tend to have artwork, or at least, photos from the liveshow.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 12:03 PM

The one interesting thing of this library upload is it takes multiple instances of songs in your library and combines them (albeit sometimes incorrectly). Sure has cast my top songs in a slightly different (and mostly more accurate) light.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
The reason I like Ray of Light and Music has less to do with her voice and much, much more with the production of the album. Same reason I think pretty much everything she's done after Music is fairly crappy—bad (no, not bad; uninteresting) production.
I haven't really had a bout with Hard Candy yet, but otherwise agreed.

I think "Confessions on a Dancefloor" is pretty funny, though - because it's so obviously a reaction to the lukewarm reception of "American Life". She sought out the producers to give her the most stupidly in-your-face complete dumb-as-**** dancefloor production, geared at satisfying even the dumbest customers, and garnished it with the only ABBA sample ever licensed.

After the political backlash over the AL videos and her public appearances, I put on "Confessions", and if the music weren't so totally overcompressed, you could hear her laughing her ass off all the way to the bank in between the beats...

I can't stand listening to the album, but "Confessions on a Dancefloor" stands as the grandest (and most commercially successful) extended middle finger since Chic's "Freak Out" (which was originally titled "**** You").

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I haven't really had a bout with Hard Candy yet, but otherwise agreed.

I think "Confessions on a Dancefloor" is pretty funny, though - because it's so obviously a reaction to the lukewarm reception of "American Life". She sought out the producers to give her the most stupidly in-your-face complete dumb-as-**** dancefloor production, geared at satisfying even the dumbest customers, and garnished it with the only ABBA sample ever licensed.

After the political backlash over the AL videos and her public appearances, I put on "Confessions", and if the music weren't so totally overcompressed, you could hear her laughing her ass off all the way to the bank in between the beats...

I can't stand listening to the album, but "Confessions on a Dancefloor" stands as the grandest (and most commercially successful) extended middle finger since Chic's "Freak Out" (which was originally titled "**** You").
Outside of Ray of Light, Confessions is the best thing she's done IMO. I was pleasantly surprised by Hard Candy, because it holds together much better than I expected. I found Music to be a little disappointing (outside of "Nobody's Perfect" and the title track, there aren't many highlights for me). "Liquid Love" definitely should've made the cut.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2008, 06:32 AM

By the way, how is it that your fourth-most-played artist is this guy who comes from my very own city, but of whom I’ve never heard?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 08:17 AM

Did you look in my Library, and what albums he's done? The answer lies there.

Also, he's 5th most, not 4th most.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 10:20 AM

Yeah... I acquired a copy of Oasis' new one before release, so...

...it's gonna flood my last.fm account for a while.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2008, 11:52 AM

My first last.fm screenshot contribution!

(I have no idea what that 2 Unlimited track is doing there; I don’t remember listening to it lately. I have, however, been listening a lot to a lot of the same stuff, as is quite apparent.)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 11:56 AM

I have to give you credit, Oisín, seems like whenever you're listening on random there's always one or two tracks that I'd enjoy.

Also, your MUSE scrobbles feel covert. I never noticed you listening to them (outside a Feeling Good play).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2008, 12:09 PM

(ARGH! Stupid Command key being next to the Alt key! I wanted to type a closing square bracket, not jump to favourite number nine in my bookmark bar and lose the entire post!)

Actually, lately, I’ve had a fancy for some more rock-ish music generally, so I’ve had a few days where I went away from my usual method of listening to my entire library on shuffle.

I’m fairly new to Muse—I have three albums, but have only had them for a few months, so they haven’t been in heavy rotation. Some days ago, though, I decided to get to know them a little better, since I was really in the mood for some emo-post-rock-whatchamacallit kind of music. So I just started from one end and listened to all three albums in a row; then did the same with Sigur Rós, Clann Zú (amazing band!) and Dikta (also amazing band) and Värttinä (which is not really that rock-ish, but I’m completely in love with it at the moment nonetheless).

And of course, Popplagið and Glósóli are always in heavy rotation, being my favourite two songs in the universe (and Glósóli being inexplicably missing from the list here).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 03:51 PM

This week I went with almost entirely Christian music (I am a student pastor, after all)...

Ignore Leo.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 07:38 PM

Went to Parklife this weekend. Highlights were an amazing set from 2ManyDJs, Familjen, Diplo and Soulwax. Peaches was better than I thought too.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This week I went with almost entirely Christian music
Wait, it this not some type of regular occurrence?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 11:40 AM

Wait, it this not some type of regular occurrence?
Well, yeah, it is. Just look through my overall playlist. Leeland, Hillsong United (or as Erik refers to them, "the cultists"), Kim Walker, and other bands are always near my top. I listen to most of my music through the Studio computer in my office (nice Companion 5 speakers), so much of what I listen to doesn't get scrobbled.

I also laid the Coldplay, John Mayer, and other regular secular artists to the side this week. A musical detox of sorts.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 12:17 PM

Wouldn't the secular ones be used for detox? If anything you took a big swig of Faith this week.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 12:52 PM

Wouldn't the secular ones be used for detox? If anything you took a big swig of Faith this week.
Depends on which side of the cultist fence you fall on, I guess.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 12:54 PM

Mine for the week. I was all over the place, disregarding the OMG NU OASIS ALBUM11 part.

The new iPod seems to have increased my listening frequency (500 tracks this week)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 12:55 PM

Depends on which side of the cultist fence you fall on, I guess.
Ja, and I'm drinking Pepsi this week, to detox myself from water...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2008, 04:31 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 04:42 PM

analogika would be proud -- Jawbone is scrobbling through two Oasis albums out of order and I'm about to freak out.
Mostly because it's his first time through each, though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 04:46 PM

My starting with Dig Out Your Soul and continuing on to (What's the Story) Morning Glory is bothering the Oasis connoisseur, is it?

[EDIT] Don't panic too badly...I keep realizing that I've already heard most of these tracks (Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova are obvious, but some others too).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 04:47 PM

The order of the tracks.

Two of which were mislabeled, I might add.

Edit: Someone is sig schizo today.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 04:52 PM

Also, I'm less than happy about iScrobbler not scrobbling my iPhone plays despite it being set up properly.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 04:54 PM

The order of the tracks.

Two of which were mislabeled, I might add.
Must have something to do with the way I (to steal a term) acquired them.

[EDIT] It's because of the playlist I was listening to them in. Didn't even realize the order screw-up until I went back to the original music folder. I'm glad it happened though, especially since it apparently irritates the crap out of others.

Edit: Someone is sig schizo today.
Didn't like the other one at sig size. Looked great at 800 x 600, but not so grand at 200 x 50.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 04:54 PM

Does iTunes still record the plays?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 04:56 PM

Must have something to do with the way I (to steal acquire a term) acquired them.
Let's adjust this sentence, shall we?

Didn't like the other one at sig size. Looked great at 800 x 600, but not so grand at 200 x 50.
Trust me, if anyone can relate, it's me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 05:10 PM

Does iTunes still record the plays?
From the iPhone? No. To the iPhone, yes.

Let's adjust this sentence, shall we?
...and I'm guessing Noel and Liam dropped off your copy?
PER-KOW!

Trust me, if anyone can relate, it's me.
At least yours are stretched out the length of a week or two, rather than a few hours.

However, I've only had one user name.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Oct 7, 2008 at 05:16 PM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 07:37 PM

I... acquired the new Oasis album, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it. Maybe I'll do that this week.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 11:05 PM

Also, I'm less than happy about iScrobbler not scrobbling my iPhone plays despite it being set up properly.
Make sure you don't play any tracks on your mac(s) before syncing your iPhone by manually selecting "Update iPod" in the menu.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2008, 03:24 PM

Eleven days, people!

Not much change there from, well, ever; so now, with new and improved things and bobs, last played tracks, too:

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 07:01 PM

Black Ice was refreshingly non sucky (if you don't mind AC/DC )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 02:17 PM

...and I'm guessing Noel and Liam dropped off your copy?
PER-KOW!
This is thanks I get for trying to improve your vocabulary? So hateful.

BTW, an iScrobbler update came last night that listed some kind of iPhone scrobbling fix, for what it's worth.

Did you rick-roll yourself?

---

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V
Did you rick-roll yourself?
I had a feeling that question might arise when I noticed that particular song was in there.

No, I just (as always) had everything on shuffle, and I guess Rick Astley came on at some point. I don’t really remember hearing the song, though, so I was probably busy doing something else. Would have been around 8:30–9:00 last night—I think I was cooking.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2008, 12:26 PM

I just figured out how to fix my iPhone/iScrobbler problem today, so these don't include the iPhone plays (which accounted for about 90% of what I listened to last week).

However...I does accurately represent the reality that Keane's new album ruled my playlist last week.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 12:28 PM

I had a feeling that question might arise when I noticed that particular song was in there.

No, I just (as always) had everything on shuffle, and I guess Rick Astley came on at some point. I don’t really remember hearing the song, though, so I was probably busy doing something else. Would have been around 8:30–9:00 last night—I think I was cooking.
That totally counts as rick roll. A non-rick roll would be if you consciously chose to listen to it.

I just figured out how to fix my iPhone/iScrobbler problem today, so these don't include the iPhone plays (which accounted for about 90% of what I listened to last week).

However...I does accurately represent the reality that Keane's new album ruled my playlist last week.

So, you're keen on the album then?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2008, 03:04 PM

That totally counts as rick roll. A non-rick roll would be if you consciously chose to listen to it.
Oh.

Then I guess, yes, I did rickroll myself.

So, you're keen on the album then?
*groan*

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 03:06 PM

*groan*
*fist pump*

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2008, 06:42 PM

*fist pump*

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2008, 06:47 PM

Was it what I suggested?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Was it what I suggested?
Nope. Horrible (and slightly embarrassing story) upcoming.

My wife had accidentally set my iPhone to manually sync my music. I can't believe I'm actually admitting that I didn't notice this for several weeks. I only noticed when I said, "Hey! Where's the new Keane album? I thought I added it to my iPhone playli-OHHHHHHHH!"

My usage of the iPhone's Last.fm app didn't help speed up the realization, but I feel like such a fool. I checked it once a few weeks ago, tried what you suggested, then gave up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules