Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The derailment thread

The derailment thread (Page 2)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 3, 2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
If someone is level-headed and fair, I'm level-headed and fair, if/when they resort to attacks and insults, I either stop becoming level-headed and fair. Lately I just report them, though, and that seems to work well.
No. For two reasons.

1. There have been instances when you find yourself accidentally arguing with a subject matter expert and you've been found inexplicably, completely wrong. Your response is then to backpedal, insult, and then make sure everyone knows how much you don't care.

2. Even if "someone else started it firrrrrst!!," that's not a valid excuse for second graders, and it's not a valid excuse for adults. If your goal is honing views and challenging opinions, then attacking and insulting has no place on either side. Call it out when you see it, but don't instigate and don't participate. Unfortunately, when you've spent years name-calling and insulting, calling someone out for doing the same probably won't go over well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The way people feel is not a right or wrong thing, it's the way they feel.
Insistence someone feel a certain way about a subject, such as global warming, is to explicitly reject this principle. It's either one or the other.

I'd argue for the principle, because it's a fundamental component of understanding others, and pursuit of understanding others provides more benefit than the damage caused by the contrary opinions expressed in this tiny forum.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Insistence someone feel a certain way about a subject, such as global warming, is to explicitly reject this principle. It's either one or the other.
Apples and oranges.

My claims about CTP's experiments being annoying are a statement of my perceptions and experiences (and, I would guess, the perceptions of others too). My claims are not facts but an expression of the emotions I have experienced. They are neither right nor wrong.

If you feel that GW is a hoax, fine, you can say that, but I'm not arguing whether or not Badkosh and Chongo feel that it is a hoax because I don't dispute that they feel this way. I'm arguing about the facts, not how they feel.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No. For two reasons.
No what? There was nothing in that statement to be answered by a yes or no.

1. There have been instances when you find yourself accidentally arguing with a subject matter expert and you've been found inexplicably, completely wrong. Your response is then to backpedal, insult, and then make sure everyone knows how much you don't care.
Yeah... right... you mean there was an instance, and we certainly aren't going to agree on how that went down.

2. Even if "someone else started it firrrrrst!!," that's not a valid excuse for second graders, and it's not a valid excuse for adults. If your goal is honing views and challenging opinions, then attacking and insulting has no place on either side. Call it out when you see it, but don't instigate and don't participate. Unfortunately, when you've spent years name-calling and insulting, calling someone out for doing the same probably won't go over well.
It's funny that you bring up calling something out, because I've done that before and you were one of the people who mocked me for it. Great advice. I'll just stick to reporting, like I said before. If I report someone enough it'll sort out the problem.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2017, 07:16 PM

So, if you feel that you have no responsibility for annoying people, whenever you say something that sounds rather off-the-wall I'll just ask you if you mean this or if you are just experimenting on us, and we'll see how long it takes before that becomes annoying to you.
I'll just stop reading your posts again, then you'll just be annoying everyone else. However, to answer your question, no, I'm not responsible for what someone else feels if I'm merely holding up a common counterpoint. If they become upset that the counterpoint even exists, then that's their issue and they shouldn't be discussing politics anyway.

Example: I've had people burst into tears and flee when I told them I was pro-choice, or accuse me of being a baby-killing monster, and I've had others say I should be executed for eating a steak. There are all types out there, and not all of them should be debating online.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 08:03 PM

I'll just stop reading your posts again, then you'll just be annoying everyone else. However, to answer your question, no, I'm not responsible for what someone else feels if I'm merely holding up a common counterpoint. If they become upset that the counterpoint even exists, then that's their issue and they shouldn't be discussing politics anyway.

Example: I've had people burst into tears and flee when I told them I was pro-choice, or accuse me of being a baby-killing monster, and I've had others say I should be executed for eating a steak. There are all types out there, and not all of them should be debating online.

Your being annoying by experimenting with us doesn't have much to do with the specific political positions you are presenting.

Is this moving the goalposts another experiment, cause I'm sure this point is pretty graspable?

Response about how I'm wrong incoming?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 12:27 AM

Apples and oranges.

My claims about CTP's experiments being annoying are a statement of my perceptions and experiences (and, I would guess, the perceptions of others too). My claims are not facts but an expression of the emotions I have experienced. They are neither right nor wrong.

If you feel that GW is a hoax, fine, you can say that, but I'm not arguing whether or not Badkosh and Chongo feel that it is a hoax because I don't dispute that they feel this way. I'm arguing about the facts, not how they feel.
This is what I said. The two are incompatible.

Why is one more important than the other?

I'm arguing one is more important than the other because one is the key to human understanding. Provide me an argument for the other.

AFAICT, the argument for the other is what a couple people believe on the internet is just that important.

The following was an incredibly difficult lesson for me to learn, especially considering I believe the search for objective truth to be my life's mission.

Sometimes being right isn't the most important thing.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 12:56 AM

Your being annoying by experimenting with us doesn't have much to do with the specific political positions you are presenting.

Is this moving the goalposts another experiment, cause I'm sure this point is pretty graspable?

Response about how I'm wrong incoming?
I'm not "experimenting" on you. That was your word. I just like playing DA sometimes. Usually, though, I do believe in the position I'm supporting.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2017, 08:15 AM

1. There have been instances when you find yourself accidentally arguing with a subject matter expert and you've been found inexplicably, completely wrong.
Inexplicably?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 08:24 AM

baloney

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is what I said. The two are incompatible.

Why is one more important than the other?

I'm arguing one is more important than the other because one is the key to human understanding. Provide me an argument for the other.

AFAICT, the argument for the other is what a couple people believe on the internet is just that important.

The following was an incredibly difficult lesson for me to learn, especially considering I believe the search for objective truth to be my life's mission.

Sometimes being right isn't the most important thing.

I apologize for misunderstanding/misreading you!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The left's problem is that they still value taking the moral high ground while the right don't give a shit. Not the GOP, nor their voters.
Now you're just acting pissy and lashing out, you're done here. Maybe take a nap or something.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2017, 10:24 AM

I'll just stick to reporting, like I said before.
I'll believe it when I see it.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2017, 10:25 AM

So explain how Carbon Credits will stop climate change. Again Follow the money.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2017, 10:33 AM

Now you're just acting pissy and lashing out, you're done here. Maybe take a nap or something.
Reported.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 11:46 AM

Reported.
You need a nap too, apparently.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 11:49 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2017, 12:21 PM

I feel personally attacked.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 12:49 PM

Then you definitely need a nap. I'm taking mine shortly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 12:50 PM

This is all fine and dandy, but in the meantime I still have an itchy butthole. Priorities?

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2017, 01:08 PM

The general consensus is take a nap. I wish I could.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 01:24 PM

CTP, while you are napping, consider the fact that the combination of your playing DA and needing to be right all the time is responsible for a lot of this friction. You have the power to change this.

You seem like a smart enough guy, I would love to have better conversations with you. Considering all of the people that have been snarky with you, it's clear that I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Happy nap.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The general consensus is take a nap. I wish I could.
Do you think He-man and She-ra have ever made out?

I know that they are twins so this would be kind of wrong, but it must be lonely being this powerful and not having a powerful companion. The Lannisters must feel the same way.

Your wisdom is needed here.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 09:53 AM

I stand by my point. The left thinks that by doing the morally right thing, they will come good in the end. Right wing voters never cared about being morally right unless it gets them somewhere. They have only ever been in it for themselves.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ham Sandwich
Aug 5, 2017, 11:46 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:45 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 02:07 PM

I stand by my point. The left thinks that by doing the morally right thing, they will come good in the end.
You realize that both sides view each other in the same way, right?

Right wing voters never cared about being morally right unless it gets them somewhere. They have only ever been in it for themselves.
This is a ridiculous generalization. It's impossible to take you seriously when you say things like this. (I have to believe you're not 100% serious, otherwise there's no reason for anyone to ever debate you, because it makes you sound like a borderline sociopath, which I know you aren't.)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 02:33 PM

OK, its a generalisation but I have literally never seen or heard a clip, quote, post, comment, soundbite or otherwise of a conservative voter say "I hate Trump and almost everything else about him but I think my family will be better off so I'm reluctantly voting for him."

Theres no hint of reluctance or regret anywhere.

How can I believe that people who believe themselves to be morally superior will bitch and fume about Michelle Obama exposing her arms but have nothing to say about Melania appearing naked in a magazine? IDGAF myself, but that is just one indication of the hypocrisy that is so rife within conservative America they cannot possibly be unaware of it. Its a clear indication that they will forgive their guy anything and complain about any facet they can dream up about the other guy. Why are none of them saying that Trump is worse than Obama or Melania worse than Michelle?
What about you? Do you think that a highly educated and refined woman who tried to get kids eating right and exercising in her time is morally (and otherwise) preferable to a nude model and alleged former prostitute?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 03:43 PM

OK, its a generalisation but I have literally never seen or heard a clip, quote, post, comment, soundbite or otherwise of a conservative voter say "I hate Trump and almost everything else about him but I think my family will be better off so I'm reluctantly voting for him."

How can I believe that people who believe themselves to be morally superior will bitch and fume about Michelle Obama exposing her arms but have nothing to say about Melania appearing naked in a magazine? IDGAF myself, but that is just one indication of the hypocrisy that is so rife within conservative America they cannot possibly be unaware of it. Its a clear indication that they will forgive their guy anything and complain about any facet they can dream up about the other guy. Why are none of them saying that Trump is worse than Obama or Melania worse than Michelle?
You DO give a ****, and it's making you crazy. You're incapable of seeing it's equally bad both ways, in terms of hypocrisy, so you resort to demonizing a massive segment of society to justify your hatred. It's probably a good idea if I disconnect from our conversations, because frankly, in some ways I don't think you're well and this could be making you worse.

What about you? Do you think that a highly educated and refined woman who tried to get kids eating right and exercising in her time is morally (and otherwise) preferable to a nude model and alleged former prostitute?
I don't care either way. I don't attach such things to a person's moral character.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 5, 2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Thread caption for: "The derailment thread: Now offering butthole buffers"
Hey, how do you feel about Trump six months in?

Ham Sandwich
Aug 5, 2017, 07:09 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:45 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2017, 07:28 PM

Thread caption for: "The derailment thread: Now offering butthole buffers"

That just gave me the idea, besson, make your own solution and use the soft side of a sponge. Solution is Nap Time, a dash of soap, and a tiny bit of bleach, diluted 20 fold so it won't burn. The bleach will sanitize. Do this while getting washed morning and evening. After you wash it all off and dry yourself, important, take a few layers of toilet paper, add both cortisone and anti-fungal cream, and massage into the area before putting fresh underpants on. If you wish, wear the TP in your underpants to bed. After a few days, should clear up.

You have warmed my heart with your care and concern in me. I will try this therapy and will let you know how it goes. Would you like before and after pictures?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 07:31 AM

You DO give a ****, and it's making you crazy. You're incapable of seeing it's equally bad both ways, in terms of hypocrisy, so you resort to demonizing a massive segment of society to justify your hatred. It's probably a good idea if I disconnect from our conversations, because frankly, in some ways I don't think you're well and this could be making you worse.

Right, half of America are massive hypocrites about everything they claim matters to them but I'm demonising them unfairly. I'm not demonising them, just saying what they are and why they don't deserve to be treated as though everyone is just as bad as each other. Because I don't see those levels of hypocrisy on the opposite side. Neither do you apparently because instead of pointing out even a single example you just resort to claiming that I'm unwell which is frankly hilarious coming from you.

I don't care either way. I don't attach such things to a person's moral character.
No you're right here and I don't really care if people want to take their clothes off either so let me rephrase: If you were one of the highly prudish Christians that are so influential in your country, would you consider Melania and Michelle to be on an equal standing in your eyes?
I don't know why I'm asking, you'll only deflect or lie and we all know that anyone who has a problem with exposing your arms in public on decency grounds should be a whole lot more concerned about nude modelling. Its just another example of their hypocrisy and dishonesty.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 08:01 AM

Right, half of America are massive hypocrites about everything they claim matters to them but I'm demonising them unfairly. I'm not demonising them, just saying what they are and why they don't deserve to be treated as though everyone is just as bad as each other. Because I don't see those levels of hypocrisy on the opposite side. Neither do you apparently because instead of pointing out even a single example you just resort to claiming that I'm unwell which is frankly hilarious coming from you.
Yeah, I was right. I'm not going to waste my time with a retort, your generalizations are patently absurd and unworthy of them.

No you're right here and I don't really care if people want to take their clothes off either so let me rephrase: If you were one of the highly prudish Christians that are so influential in your country, would you consider Melania and Michelle to be on an equal standing in your eyes?
I'm not one of them, but what I do know is that feminists on the Left are ones pushing for the hijab in the USA now, while the Christian Right is relaxing at a precipitous rate. The irony is incredible, the same Leftist groups that burned bras 40 years ago are endorsing full head-to-toe coverage, while the Christians who wouldn't even wear shorts are now going to the pool in bikinis (and less). In the coming years, staying with the Left will mean you'll need to adopt more and more strict, authoritarian views, that fine with you? (A rhetorical question, given your answers in the past.)

I don't know why I'm asking, you'll only deflect or lie and we all know that anyone who has a problem with exposing your arms in public on decency grounds should be a whole lot more concerned about nude modelling. Its just another example of their hypocrisy and dishonesty.
You lie to yourself on a constant basis, the sheer weight of your hypocrisy makes all other forms look insignificant. I think I'm done talking politics with you, I don't see any value in it anymore.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 08:05 AM

^^Yeah, your POV is whack. At least for the time being, we're done.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 10:38 AM

I accept your surrender.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 10:52 AM

I'm not one of them, but what I do know is that feminists on the Left are ones pushing for the hijab in the USA now, while the Christian Right is relaxing at a precipitous rate.
Deflection as predicted. Thats a good one though, its not hypocrisy they are relaxing! In an era of heightened bigotry, racism, presidential misogyny and general ignorance, the Christian right has decided to chill out and get naked. Good grief.

The irony is incredible, the same Leftist groups that burned bras 40 years ago are endorsing full head-to-toe coverage, while the Christians who wouldn't even wear shorts are now going to the pool in bikinis (and less). In the coming years, staying with the Left will mean you'll need to adopt more and more strict, authoritarian views, that fine with you? (A rhetorical question, given your answers in the past.)
So, make an outlandish claim with only a single gross exaggeration to even vaguely base it on, then accuse me of not answering properly. The first part is what you think I do only with less basis than I require, and the second part is literally copy/pasted from my last post.

You lie to yourself on a constant basis, the sheer weight of your hypocrisy makes all other forms look insignificant. I think I'm done talking politics with you, I don't see any value in it anymore.
Just nonsense. Your debating ability is really becoming quite sad.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 12:26 PM

Deflection as predicted. Thats a good one though, its not hypocrisy they are relaxing! In an era of heightened bigotry, racism, presidential misogyny and general ignorance, the Christian right has decided to chill out and get naked. Good grief.
Misrepresentation, as predicted. You are right about general ignorance, though, the radical Left is leading the way in that regard.

Just nonsense. Your debating ability is really becoming quite sad.
Projection. Yep, you're done.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 12:53 PM

I accept your surrender.
Whatever it takes to help you feel better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2017, 02:00 PM

*shrug* I don't really care anymore.
lol

You celebrated him beating Hillary. Don't be playin' some bullshit indifference card.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2017, 02:24 PM

This is also all fine and dandy, but my butthole.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 6, 2017, 04:10 PM

This is also all fine and dandy, but my butthole got away when I wasn't looking. I've searched in the closet and around the bed. But even with help from the vodka, it's hiding better than I'm seeking.

I wish the big bunnies would stop watching from the window.
You forgot the rest of the post, so I filled it in. No thanks needed.

btw, this belongs in a different thread. Moving ...

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 06:22 PM

∞ peer reviewed etc etc hotter colder hotter colder hotter colder eggs are are bad for you
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Dude, it's over. There is enough agreement now that you might as well argue with us that the Earth is 6000 years old because the conclusions are pretty much at the same level of agreement. Your feelings on this are irrelevant.

How old do you think the Earth is?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2017, 07:56 AM

Good Lord! What a stereotypical and wrong headed view you have of the USA. Swap out Trump and conservative for Obama and Liberal to see your view is wrong.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2017, 09:22 AM

Insert Bubba and Ted Kennedy, and you get a clip from "The View"
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2017, 09:32 AM

Dude, it's over. There is enough agreement now that you might as well argue with us that the Earth is 6000 years old because the conclusions are pretty much at the same level of agreement. Your feelings on this are irrelevant.

How old do you think the Earth is?
You can include coconut oil to the list of peer reviewed things that we were not suppposed to eat, but now it being touted as a "superfood" at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Popocorn at the movie theater sucks because the food Nazi's peer reviewed data claimed it would kill us if we ate it.

The earth is not 6000 years old nor is it flat, although your head may be.
Do you belive in ET's?
( Last edited by Chongo; Aug 7, 2017 at 09:43 AM. )
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Good Lord! What a stereotypical and wrong headed view you have of the USA. Swap out Trump and conservative for Obama and Liberal to see your view is wrong.
A stereotype that you do nothing whatsoever to contradict or disprove.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2017, 10:57 AM

The earth is not 6000 years old nor is it flat, although your head may be.
Where was Obama born, and do you believe in vaccinations?

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2017, 03:34 PM

Where was Obama born, and do you believe in vaccinations?
You first. Do you believe in ETs?
45/47

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2017, 10:37 AM

You first. Do you believe in ETs?
Surely there's two questions there.

Do you believe in ET's? Yes. Statistically it would be dumb not to.

Do you believe that ET's visit us and jump lonely people on deserted highways while eviscerating cows? Not so much.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules