Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Panther X.3 is FREE (well, US$20) for ALL G5 owners.

Panther X.3 is FREE (well, US$20) for ALL G5 owners.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 09:15 AM

Enjoy!

"Customers who purchase a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (M9020LL/A, M9031LL/A, M9032LL/A) regardless of purchase date that does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included can upgrade to Mac OS X Panther."

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 09:22 AM

I'll give Apple props for doing this. I really, really doubted that they would.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Enjoy!

"Customers who purchase a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (M9020LL/A, M9031LL/A, M9032LL/A) regardless of purchase date that does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included can upgrade to Mac OS X Panther."
But if it is just the upgrade CDs I still have to buy it then I don't believe in upgrading windoze operating systems nor would I do it to unix or mac operating systems. Its a trust thing I guess.

Devmage

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 09:31 AM

I really, really doubted that they would.
Same here. Lucky bonus for the G5 owners (even if the other recent Mac purchasers are going to complain).

But if it is just the upgrade CDs I still have to buy it then I don't believe in upgrading windoze operating systems nor would I do it to unix or mac operating systems. Its a trust thing I guess.
It may be the full version I think, but even if it weren't I don't agree with your point. The X.2 to X.3 upgrade works great. For $110 saved I can deal with putting in an extra set of discs. (ie. Clean install of X.2.7 and then an immediate upgrade to X.3.) But like I said, I suspect it's the full version, or at least the full software restore DVD for the G5.

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 10:04 AM

My G5 is expected to ship between Oct. 16-21. Think they'll include it in the box?

redJag
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by devmage:

Devmage
In the past, 'upgrade' CDs have been able to do full/clean installs. The only apparent difference was the ink on the CD
Travis Sanderson

proton
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
In the past, 'upgrade' CDs have been able to do full/clean installs. The only apparent difference was the ink on the CD
The Jaguar upgrade CD couldn't do a full install.

- proton

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:46 AM

Devmage
Dude, I so totally agree with you. I follow three rules for administering my computers:

1. Always clean install if possible.
2. Don't install a bunch of crap; install what you need.
3. Backup frequently.
Agent69

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
I had bought my 700Mhz Ibook probably a week before 10.2. I got the free ($20) upgrade CDs. They were litterly like a windoze upgrade CD. You had to install 10.1 and then install 10.2 update.

Not only do I find this a anoying extra step I'm always wondering is it getting everything? Did everything copy properly? Did all the config files get converted properly? This probably comes from doing support for many years and knowing to install a windoze OS update is to curse your operating system to a life of problems.

I'd like to hope it was the full OS, I'll ask.

Devmage

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Dude, I so totally agree with you. I follow three rules for administering my computers:

1. Always clean install if possible.
2. Don't install a bunch of crap; install what you need.
3. Backup frequently.
Exactly! Except I always fail at doing #3 :b Well now that I have a superdrive and intend to get a Firewire drive for backup as well I'll live by that one too

Devmage

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 10:55 AM

Oh well, if it's just an upgrade CD, I think it's still worth $20 for an end user.

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 11:10 AM

For $20 it's well worth it, even if it is just an upgrade CD. I'm stoked. I'll be really stoked if it's the full boxed copy.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 11:34 AM

While I was content to pay for Panther, I'm glad Apple did this. Pleasant surprise.

So, to those who are waiting for Panther before they buy their G5s, Hah! It's worth $19.95 to have had my G5 for a full month before 10.3!

videian28
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 12:03 PM

they did screw the new powerbook owners

we all have to buy a new copy

videian28
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:00 PM

Just out of curiousity, what do you new g5 owners think about the fact that you are getting panther for free and new powerbook owners are not?

what is the reason for apple choosing to make this seperation?

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
Just out of curiousity, what do you new g5 owners think about the fact that you are getting panther for free and new powerbook owners are not?

I have to admit to not understanding this myself. I would love to hear their reasoning on this one.
Agent69

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:20 PM

Has anybody else been getting errors when submitting the up-to-date form on the apple web site. What do you put for where you bought it? Because I clicked the link that I bought it from the apple online store.

PAC-Rat
Oct 8, 2003, 02:39 PM

I had bought my 700Mhz Ibook probably a week before 10.2. I got the free ($20) upgrade CDs. They were litterly like a windoze upgrade CD. You had to install 10.1 and then install 10.2 update.
That's odd. I bought my 700MHz iBook about the same time (a week or so before 10.2), but I got the full version (no upgrade CD). Two CDs for the 10.2 install, and the Developer's CD. Did a clean install, the same as the full version. The 10.1 cds were there too, but I never used 'em.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:42 PM

I think it may have something to do with all the rumors that Panther was to be optimized for the G5 (maybe even being 64-bit) and that you can't really take full advantage of the G5 without Panther.

And, if I was a G5 user I could care less that the Powerbook owners don't get a free copy. Hey why should I care about those poor schmucks still working a G4... Damn, now I have to really get rid of my G4 DP800 and get a G5 DP2.0...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mcmullej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:43 PM

... yeah the online uptodate seems to be not working. Tells me my serial no. is not valid. also wants a location (city and state) even tho' I purchased from the UK Online Apple Store.

Anyone know if there's a difference between a customer serial number and a customer serial number???

I think I'll try again tomorrow...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by mcmullej:
... yeah the online uptodate seems to be not working. Tells me my serial no. is not valid. also wants a location (city and state) even tho' I purchased from the UK Online Apple Store.
Is there a UK MacOS up-to-date? The link provided above seems to be only for US and Canadian customers. Ie. You being in the UK cannot use that link.
MacBook Pro

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 03:02 PM

I called an Apple Retail store and asked two questions:

Q) Could I pick up the G5 upgrade at the store?
A) No, the $19.95 G5 update offer can not be purchased at retail stores.

Q) Is the G5 update just an update version or a full version?
A) It is a full version. It's exactly the same as what comes in the box for $129.

I'm taking the second answer with a grain of salt but he did answer the question confidently and without hesitation when I asked.

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
I called an Apple Retail store and asked two questions:

Q) Could I pick up the G5 upgrade at the store?
A) No, the $19.95 G5 update offer can not be purchased at retail stores.

Q) Is the G5 update just an update version or a full version?
A) It is a full version. It's exactly the same as what comes in the box for $129.

I'm taking the second answer with a grain of salt but he did answer the question confidently and without hesitation when I asked.
Awesome! I hope that's true about being a full version, if only for the ability to do a fresh install if I ever rebuild my G5. I don't mind waiting an extra day or two possibly for it to ship to me, considering the big price break I'm getting.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Mattmac21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Enjoy!

Well, I went to the Apple website to see if I could verify my machine. They cannot find my serial number so they told me to do mail-in. On the mail in form it says:

"A Power Mac G5 (M9020LL/A, M9031LL/A,
M9032LL/A) qualifies for this program if it was
sold by an authorized Apple reseller or Apple
Computer, Inc., on or after August 16, 2003, and
does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included."

By purchase, do they mean when you received it? Because I ordered my G5 in July and didn't get it till September. Everything I am reading says "regardless of the purchase date" Even on the Apple website it says this, except this mail in form. Maybe just an error?
I guess I have to call.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Is there a UK MacOS up-to-date? The link provided above seems to be only for US and Canadian customers. Ie. You being in the UK cannot use that link.
Ok, there is a UK link http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/g5/

Did you UK guys try this link or the US/Canadian link?
MacBook Pro

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Mattmac21:
Well, I went to the Apple website to see if I could verify my machine. They cannot find my serial number so they told me to do mail-in. On the mail in form it says:

"A Power Mac G5 (M9020LL/A, M9031LL/A,
M9032LL/A) qualifies for this program if it was
sold by an authorized Apple reseller or Apple
Computer, Inc., on or after August 16, 2003, and
does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included."

By purchase, do they mean when you received it? Because I ordered my G5 in July and didn't get it till September. Everything I am reading says "regardless of the purchase date" Even on the Apple website it says this, except this mail in form. Maybe just an error?
I guess I have to call.
I called twice and talked to two different people, both could not find my serial number. They told me to fax the form in. I was also wondering when they say purchase by august 16th becuase i ordered mine on the 14th.

idyll
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 05:16 PM

Couldn't find my serial number either.. said they were having some problems. Bah

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
Couldn't find my serial number either.. said they were having some problems. Bah
That is what they told me too. Both of the people I talked to told me to fax it in. I would much rather just have them be able to find my serial number. idyll when did you place your order. It seems that the only people that have said anything about not finding their serial number are the people that ordered before the 16th or August

idyll
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 05:50 PM

I placed my order on June 24th.

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 06:31 PM

Has any one sucessfully placed an order for panther using the uptodate program. I am asking this becuase it seems that every one is having problems with apple not being able to find their serial number.

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by CJG86:
Has any one sucessfully placed an order for panther using the uptodate program. I am asking this becuase it seems that every one is having problems with apple not being able to find their serial number.
I ordered this morning with no problems at all.

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by The Mick:
I ordered this morning with no problems at all.
Did you order it online or did you call them?

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 06:58 PM

Did you order it online or did you call them?
Online.

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by The Mick:
Online.
Did you order your G5 from the online apple store? If you did what did you put in for place of purchase? When did you place your order for the G5?

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 08:06 PM

Those people who have received PBs recently should still try that link. I have read some reports that September purchases are still being flagged as qualifying.

ourisman
Oct 8, 2003, 10:47 PM

The site does ask for a G5 serial number. The first time I entered it (reading it from my receipt from the Apple Store), I entered a "5" for the final digit/letter. The site rejected the serial number. Then I looked at the BOX and saw that the final digit/letter was an "S". They look the same in small print!

I did experience another snafu. I paid the $19.95 for shipping and handling and was charged another $4 for shipping . Go figure!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:17 PM

I will not be getting it if it is an upgrade CD even if it is only $20. That is a pain in the butt everytime I want to do a clean install or format that I first have to in stall 10.2 and then upgrade it to 10.3. Forget it.

I read that they are also honoring all new powerbook sales so chill.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:29 PM

Do you have to register your serial number with the apple product registration before they can qualify your serial number or does the system already know your serial number?

Kokapeli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:50 PM

I too am confused. Apple says that they will honor all G5 purchases regardless of date of purchase, then they say purchases made after Aug. 16, 2003. By purchase, do they mean the date ordered or the date that funds actually changed hands? I 'ordered' on July 3, but the funds from my credit card were transfered on Sept 3.

I too am having trouble with the update page...

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 12:16 AM

Did you order your G5 from the online apple store? If you did what did you put in for place of purchase? When did you place your order for the G5?
No I bought my box at CompUSA, and registered it online that night. I had no problems ordering the Panther upgrade this morning.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I will not be getting it if it is an upgrade CD even if it is only $20. That is a pain in the butt everytime I want to do a clean install or format that I first have to in stall 10.2 and then upgrade it to 10.3. Forget it.
You're gonna have to do part of that anyway, since Black Panther does not include iDVD.

MacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: 3rd moon of Alderan, Synaan system, free of any Imperial influence. Long live the rebellion!
Oct 9, 2003, 12:51 PM

Well, my take on this is that Apple may have thought that if us G5 owners were courageous enough to commit ourselves to a brand new Mac architecture and set of technologies, the riskiest of rev.1 I can think of, then we deserved a little extra support and bonus, you know, a little pat on the back for our small pioneering leap of "faith" into the G5 era...

Secondly, Apple thinks of the G5 towers as their best introduction card ever into the enterprise market (big business), and if Panther can help make the new macs even faster and more stable and attractive, then the long term benefits are well worth the freebie upgrade.

Just my thoughts on this matter.
JM - "Got Mac?"

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Kokapeli:
I too am confused. Apple says that they will honor all G5 purchases regardless of date of purchase, then they say purchases made after Aug. 16, 2003. By purchase, do they mean the date ordered or the date that funds actually changed hands? I 'ordered' on July 3, but the funds from my credit card were transfered on Sept 3.
Purchase date is ALWAYS the date you paid for an item. You can not be charged for anything until it has (or imminently will) shipped. My guess is that Apple knows when they started charging people's credit cards, based on shipping availability, and that that date is 8/16. It would be interesting to to know if anybody out there was CHARGED earlier than that date. I doubt it.

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 02:33 PM

Has anyone recieved any more official word if the Disks are Updates or the full version? Apple has not replied to my queries on this issue.

Devmage

Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 02:35 PM

Has anyone recieved any more official word if the Disks are Updates or the full version? Apple has not replied to my queries on this issue.

Devmage
I don't think anyone knows. Even if someone at apple said it was one or the other I don't trust some rep. I am waiting to see what people are shipped and then I will decide if I want to order it.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:22 PM

I was on the phone with Apple Care for my AlPB 17 and the rep informed me that the upgrade CD is just that; an upgarde CD (like that of 10.2) If you buy the full CD, then you get the full version. Again, this is what the rep told me and I asked him if I can quote him on that, so don't shoot the messenger if you heard different.

I plan on getting the G5 upgrade (for free) and possibly buying the family pack for the Macs.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Mattmac21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Purchase date is ALWAYS the date you paid for an item. You can not be charged for anything until it has (or imminently will) shipped. My guess is that Apple knows when they started charging people's credit cards, based on shipping availability, and that that date is 8/16. It would be interesting to to know if anybody out there was CHARGED earlier than that date. I doubt it.

Well, I purchased my G5 through a university bookstore. They cashed my check in July. Would I have to go through the school?
Hmmm, I guess I just need to call Apple myself.

Kokapeli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 08:20 PM

I called Apple and they said "they are honoring upgrades for ALL G5 systems sold previous to the release of 10.3". Now the associate that told me this might be smoking something... I told him that my serial number wasn't being recognized on the online store. He checked it and then told me to either fax or mail in the form for an upgrade, which I promptly did.
I guess 19.95 plus tax is close to a free upgrade. But I figure that since I have paid over 2000 dollars for a new computer that even if I had to pay another 130 bucks for the newest version of the system soft it would probably be worth it in the long run.

javascript:smilie('')

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 10, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by proton:
The Jaguar upgrade CD couldn't do a full install.
You're sorta mistaken. It WILL do a full install -- but only if it finds some version of OS X already installed. That is, if you choose the clean install option, you have the option to completely erase the drive you're about to install the "upgrade" onto.

There is more of a difference between discs than just the ink on the printed side, but it's just one little file that tells the installer whether it's a upgrader or full install CD -- you can image the disc, remove the special file, and then burn the image to disc and have a fully working installer CD.

tooki

Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
You're sorta mistaken. It WILL do a full install -- but only if it finds some version of OS X already installed. That is, if you choose the clean install option, you have the option to completely erase the drive you're about to install the "upgrade" onto.tooki
Right, and that is why it sucks. If I want to reformat my computer I don't want to install 10.2 and then format it again with 10.3. Stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules