Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bought a Nissan Sentra

I bought a Nissan Sentra
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2008, 12:38 AM

I quite like it. It's a 2004 1.8S with automatic transmission. I like manuals, but generally only if they're attached to a fun engine. Hopefully it treats me well. Ice cold a/c, power windows and such, aux hookup on the front of the factory radio for my ipod. 30mpg or thereabouts.

OH WHAT A FEELING,.... oops, wrong company.

obligatory:

ice

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jul 28, 2008, 01:32 AM

I like the interior shots, man. Tripod in the backseat? Never thought a Sentra could look cool.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2008, 01:39 AM

Looks good, love the action shots. I would have gone with a manual, even attached to that 1.8l. How is the quality of it?
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 01:51 AM

Me likes the interior shots as well. Congrats on the new ride =]

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 02:27 AM

No front number plate?

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 08:13 AM

nice pictures.

i've owned three nissans and they've all been very reliable.
one post closer to five stars

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
No front number plate?
Not required in all states.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2008, 08:30 AM

Really nice looking car there, Ice. I've always thought the Sentra was a nice car, but yours looks "really nice." Nice style, nice interior, etc. How is the Florida sun on those shiny metallic paints? Silvers around here (central Texas) tend to not do too well unless the owner takes a lot of care of them.

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
No front number plate?
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Not required in all states.
That bothers some people, but it's true. And it's a source of problems in places that DON'T require a front plate when your car from a state that DOES has the front plate stolen. LOTS of problems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 09:02 AM

My state has both, they require new registrations to have both front and back but have not enforced everyone to convert over. The result a mixture of some cars with front plates and some w/o. I think it makes life harder for the cops but its been that way for 10 to 15 years.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 11:09 AM

The Sentra is pretty handsome for a small car, except the frumpy butt. I do think they have nice interiors though for the price. I would shoot myself with an automatic with the 1.8 liter.

REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:48 AM

Did you take the pictures from the back seat? If so how did you secure the camera?

B.
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2008, 12:19 PM

I should have taken a picture of the tripod setup. Next time I do this, I'll take a photo of the setup. It's a Manfrotto 190XProB tripod with two legs on the rear-seat floor of the car with the third leg almost horizontal towards the back of the car, pressing right into the rear seat. It's quite stable at this point, even when turning. Nikon D40 doesn't weigh too much though. Lens set wide, remote for the shutter in my hand. I tried a few different exposures with different settings, this was my first attempt at this.

Nice that here in Florida they've never required a front plate.. BUT there's still holes from a previously mounted front dealer(?) plate. Fairly lame.

The car feels great, lightweight like a small Japanese car often feels, but still rather nice interior plastics and materials. The car is pretty straight, only a few slight dings and scratches, the metallic paint looks great(over 60k mi on the odo), I think they hold up well down here in the tropical sun as long as you wash it regularly and wax it as one should every so often.

Can you tell those are hubcaps? Ha!
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2008, 12:20 PM

and of course thanks for the kind words all.
ice

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 12:33 PM

Always had a soft-spot for Sentras.

I still would have went with the manual tranny, the idea of a slushbox attached to the 1.8 doesn't sound to zippy...of course you will be laughing your way to the pump.

Enjoy the reliability of Nissan!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Can you tell those are hubcaps? Ha!
Nissan seems to do a good job of not making their hubcaps look ridiculously cheap (hint hint Toyota, Scion).

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 12:45 AM

thats pretty much my favorite car. I had a 2 door manual. Crossed streams in it, drove on the edge of cliffs too narrow for suvs... It got 38mpg. Clock it yourself and you'll probably find yours does better as well. It's cheap/easy to fix to.

if i was cash that'd be my 89 accord...or was it a civic?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 12:55 AM

my GF has a 2003 version... damn thing suddnly had a bad starter and now there is a bad fuel pump check valve issue... and there is a problem with the evap canister valve.. the CD player wont eject cds on its own...

it's on OK car, but I prefer my civic over anything else... although it is totally lame in the torque department (I now understand what Ca$h was always ranting about) my 92 toyota corolla had a lot more pep to it... but it diden't get 35mpg

ICE, what was the camera setup (i know a d40 but what lens?) and was there any post processing to bring out the color?

-Zach

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 12:57 AM

I'm just sad all the iPod kits for my 2004 Accord Coupe suck. Nice to see that they gave you an aux jack.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
ICE, what was the camera setup (i know a d40 but what lens?) and was there any post processing to bring out the color?
Kit lens, 18-55 set full wide. Leave the shutter open for a length of time, depending on the amount of light coming in. As far as PP, no image escapes my clicky fingers in ACR, varies every time. The daytime shot was almost blown out in the windshield. In ACR I underexposed it a bit, brought the blacks and saturation up, and such.
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2008, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm just sad all the iPod kits for my 2004 Accord Coupe suck. Nice to see that they gave you an aux jack.
I'll say though, that if I continue trying to navigate my iPod Nano while I drive, I'm going to fly off an overpass.
ice

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I think Honda just discontinued those iPod kits; they take WAY too much work to install (most of the cost goes into labor!), and you have to have a specific in-dash unit for them to do anything. My 2007 Civic has an Aux jack (right next to the dashboard "power" outlet), and that has meant a very nice little, inexpensive Belkin power/audio adapter has met all my needs.

Sure, it doesn't let me control the iPod from my dashboard, but it's a lot better than a silly FM modulator!

Besides, who has the combination of attention AND dexterity to mess with their iPod's controls much while driving anyway?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 11:06 AM

I'll say though, that if I continue trying to navigate my iPod Nano while I drive, I'm going to fly off an overpass.
If it's the new Nano with the the big screen then I'd say you're brave, if it's the old Nano I'd say you're a maniac!

Roscoe
Baninated
Aug 5, 2008, 12:34 AM

..... with automatic transmission.
My respect for you just got flushed down the shitter. WTF man? As somewhat of an automobile enthusiast, what the hell were you thinking? Manuals are NECESSARY on not fun engines, because it's the way to extract the most performance from them. More gears= better acceleration, better top end! Less drivetrain loss! Less weight! Higher MPG!

I can only assume you bought this piece of crap hungover after some huge party in Miami. Hopefully you'll sober up and realize what a huge mistake you've made.

Roscoe
Baninated
Aug 5, 2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
it's on OK car, but I prefer my civic over anything else... although it is totally lame in the torque department (I now understand what Ca$h was always ranting about)
Heh. Thanks for the props. Sell your civic, buy an older civic with an engine swap. Same MPG, more fun.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
My respect for you just got flushed down the shitter. WTF man? As somewhat of an automobile enthusiast, what the hell were you thinking? Manuals are NECESSARY on not fun engines, because it's the way to extract the most performance from them. More gears= better acceleration, better top end! Less drivetrain loss! Less weight! Higher MPG!

I can only assume you bought this piece of crap hungover after some huge party in Miami. Hopefully you'll sober up and realize what a huge mistake you've made.
I don't want to manually shift a freaking Nissan Sentra all day long. It moves along just okay with the automatic, and I get to relax and cruise. I would have already powershifted it if there were a manual in there. I want this car to last because it's only goal is reliable transportation with cold a/c.

I realize I can't have exactly what I want until I get a place with a garage. i.e. something wicked on jackstands for weeks at a time. -_-

Go to the thread about the TT Vette and coat it with your opinion before you go.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules