Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > MuscleNerd Finds "Very Promising" 4S Only Unlock

MuscleNerd Finds "Very Promising" 4S Only Unlock
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 08:12 PM

Unlock iPhone 4S Using Ultrasn0w In The Works, Confirms iPhone Dev-Team | Redmond Pie
The news comes straight from iPhone hacker and iPhone Dev-Team member MuscleNerd in the form of an update sent out from his Twitter account in which he shares an image showing proof of a “very promising” iPhone 4S unlock being “in the works."
Yeehaw! Great news. Many are speculating that this 4S (not 4) vulnerability may be due to the new A5 processor. I think they're entirely wrong. What we see he has here is an exploit in the 4S baseband that allows erasing of the baseband. I think if anything this is an exploit based on the altered modem hardware or its enabling software, which differs from the 4 at least in the area of having CDMA and GSM capability both enabled.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2011, 08:17 PM

It would be very welcome and hopefully in time for a family member's international trip right after Christmas. I hope though the baseband isn't tied to the 4S battery problems, because if the unlock comes out before the next minor point release, Apple is bound to patch it. If the baseband isn't the battery drain culprit, then it's simple enough with one of the jailbreak tools to preserve baseband while updating iOS.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 08:24 PM

Agreed. I also want to see it come out because I love to see the community stick to AT&T for the way it discriminates specifically against iPhone owners who want to have the same unlock rights as everyone else. I call in every couple of months to annoy their tech support about it, and this time the first level phone monkey started arguing with me about the facts, which I know far better than she. I told her I didn't mean to argue, and then she started arguing. However, once I got her manager, he told me that not only does he hear the complaint often, he wishes corporate would change the policy to save him a lot of headaches.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Nov 29, 2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Many are speculating that this 4S (not 4) vulnerability may be due to the new A5 processor.
Possible. They may be exploiting a race condition that could not be exploited on a single core processor.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules