Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Super Salmonella

Super Salmonella
Guy Stone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 06:41 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/condi...lla/index.html

A salmonella outbreak in the United States and Canada has been linked to irrigation water and serrano peppers at a Mexican farm, the federal Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday.

Serrano peppers are a variety of chili pepper similar to jalapeños but hotter.

Holy jalapeños...I mean serrano!1!11!

That's some tough bacteria.

To bad about all those tomato farmers that plowed their crops under. They got pwnd big time.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 31, 2008, 03:05 PM

We won't have to worry about this when all our produce has been doused with radiation.

It's coming...and I'm sure this "outbreak" and mass screw-up by the FDA will make it arrive all the quicker. Sure, the fruits and veggies will be salmonella free but they will have zero nutritional value.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 03:23 PM

I have a uncle Sal - Sal Manella.sorry, that was stupid.

Seriously, what the heck is up with food these days? Is sewer water being used grow produce?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Seriously, what the heck is up with food these days? Is sewer water being used grow produce?
Ummm, yes, actually.

I've just modified my shopping habits since a story last week where only two of the national chains here have said they won't sell food which has been fertilised with the contents of sewers.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Ummm, yes, actually.

I've just modified my shopping habits since a story last week where only two of the national chains here have said they won't sell food which has been fertilised with the contents of sewers.
It's good to have a sewer-free shopping experience available. I wish I had a garden to grow my own.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
It's good to have a sewer-free shopping experience available. I wish I had a garden to grow my own.
I've got a garden to grow my own, but there's no point at the moment. The recent food price increases have seen a lot of "allotments" have their crop stolen.

I need myself a castle. Or an island. Or the spare bedroom setting up with some kind of hydroponics system.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
I've got a garden to grow my own, but there's no point at the moment. The recent food price increases have seen a lot of "allotments" have their crop stolen.

I need myself a castle. Or an island. Or the spare bedroom setting up with some kind of hydroponics system.
Try the hydro - it's clean and neat, but loves electricity. I experimented with a small container (half meter in length) and grew string and soy beans. If you have the space, it's a great choice I think.

btw sorry about the veggie thefts, maybe it's time for Soylent Green.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 04:13 PM

I thought it was because of all the "non-documented migrant lettuce pickers" were whizzing and crapping in the fields.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules