Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moving from NY to UK

Moving from NY to UK
pyedrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 10:30 AM

I'd appreciate any information or advice on different areas in the UK like Maidenhead, Reading and Birmingham. I am a single mom who intends to move to the UK soon to do a Masters in Psych. Checking out the schools for both me and my son and have a friend in Maidenhead which is where I'll be to start. Whats it like in those areas? Housing costs...fees etc. Comments and advice welcome!! Thanks

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 10:40 AM

Two of these three are g*d's armpit. They really are. Birmingham has nothing, but absolutely nothing, to recommend it. It got flattened during the war and has been rebuild in the style of 1960's Eastern Europe. Concrete galore.

Reading is a suburb of a suburb of a suburb - the only good thing I can say about it is that it is reasonably close to London. The Office is supposed to be set in Reading. And there's a reason for that.

Maidenhead on the other hand is very pretty, well connected to London and in the middle of the stock broker belt. That unfortunately makes it quite a bit more expensive than the other two options.

Please keep in mind that the above is just my opinion and that I'll probably get lynched by any denizens of Birmingham or Reading.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 10:44 AM

I'm doing psych at Warwick... skipped the Master's (went straight to PhD) but my supervisor is responsible for the Master's course, so I reckon it's pretty good.

You mentioned Birmingham... well, Warwick's an easy commute from there, or you could live in Coventry with trains to Brum every 10 minutes.

Housing costs are going to be higher the further south you go. Are you looking to buy or rent? Renting around Cov seems to be about £200/week for a 3 or 4 bedroom semi. At least that's what I paid when renting in Leamington two years ago.

University fees: They're a lot more if you live outside the EU. Would you be travelling on a student visa? You'd be looking at about £11,000 for a masters if so. If you lived in the UK (as a permanent citizen) it'd be more like £3,000 and you could apply for funding. I know my department has a few masters funding program places, which pay your fees, but I don't know if they apply if you're on the overseas rate.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 11:00 AM

I was just in Birmingham in March. It is a bit of a "concrete jungle" but it is improving. They have been doing some serious reconstruction... and are really working on remodeling the ugly parts of the city. The best part of the place is the cost of living.

I would consider it a really nice Pittsburgh (and I like Pittsburgh)

philm
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Two of these three are g*d's armpit. They really are. Birmingham has nothing, but absolutely nothing, to recommend it. It got flattened during the war and has been rebuild in the style of 1960's Eastern Europe. Concrete galore.
I spent this weekend in Birmingham, speaking at a conference. I quite like parts of the city centre - near the convention centre and the Hyatt hotel are quite smart. Generally, Birmingham is considered to be a pretty good place to live.

Reading is a suburb of a suburb of a suburb - the only good thing I can say about it is that it is reasonably close to London. The Office is supposed to be set in Reading. And there's a reason for that.
Not true. The Office is based in Slough, although basing your location for an intercontinental relocation based on a fictional comedy show is maybe not the best idea anyway. I like Reading - fast trains into London, near pretty places like Windsor etc.

Maidenhead on the other hand is very pretty, well connected to London and in the middle of the stock broker belt. That unfortunately makes it quite a bit more expensive than the other two options.
No idea. Never been.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 06:06 PM

Birmingham = horrendous
Reading = much much nicer.
we don't have time to stop for gas

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 02:48 AM

Skip Birmingham, your kids accent will be screwed up forever.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 04:21 AM

I have an office in Maidenhead that I get to several times per year. It's a very nice town. It's also quite pricey. Reading isn't bad ... decent shopping (better than Maidenhead) and it has a reasonably short ride to London. I love Reading on the weekends or on a nice day.

Birmingham? Avoid.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Skip Birmingham, your kids accent will be screwed up forever.
that is a good point

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:08 AM

I like the fact that most of the people who are commenting aren't even from the UK!

The biggest thing to consider is going to be how much you are willing to spend, and if you are buying or renting.

Windsor And Maidenhead House Prices - Average Price �350,590 (Most Expensive in the UK!)

Birmingham House Prices - Average Price �152,053

Reading House Prices - Average Price �208,911

With regards to each of the places you've mentioned it depends what you're looking for.

Birmingham gets a bad wrap, but as a city it's got lots to offer, you just need to live in a nice area. It depends what you are looking for, but it's got great shopping, loads of places to go out to eat and drink, or watch bands. As the second largest city in the UK it's also got several universities so finding a course shouldn't be a problem either.

Reading is a nice city, again, lots on offer the same as Birmingham, but being further south and nearer to London everything costs more.

Maidenhead I don't know as much about I'm afraid, but my previous and current head office are both in that area. It is expensive, but mainly if you live outside of the towns/cities. There is lots going on there, with Ascot and Windsor round the corner, and about an hour from central London.

School wise for your son, the DfES website has a list of the school rankings so you can look at the different areas found here

Hope that all makes sense, and is helpful.

Any more questions just ask and I'm sure someone will try and help.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by as2
I like the fact that most of the people who are commenting aren't even from the UK!
How can you tell where people are from?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

He can tell where we are from based on our "location" tag which shows up to the left of your post.

That said: Some of us have spent quite a bit of time in the areas specified so we are at least qualified to say what we know. I'm kind of laughing because in his post he says he's "never been" to Maidenhead. (Laughing in a good way, not in a bad way.) It's like many people have been to the USA for extended periods are and qualified to say what they like and they don't like, even if they are not here now or have not been citizens.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by pyedrey
I'd appreciate any information or advice on different areas in the UK like Maidenhead, Reading and Birmingham. I am a single mom who intends to move to the UK soon to do a Masters in Psych. Checking out the schools for both me and my son and have a friend in Maidenhead which is where I'll be to start. Whats it like in those areas? Housing costs...fees etc. Comments and advice welcome!! Thanks
not much i can say except the cost of living increases and the current exchange rate as $1USD equals 53.3 pence sterling. so take the money you've got now and effectively half it.
F = ma

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 11:35 AM

She and her kids will be very happy in this city.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
She and her kids will be very happy in this city.
"this city"
You're becoming totally incoherent.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
"this city"
You're becoming totally incoherent.
Birmingham is not a city??

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Birmingham is not a city??
oh, didn't realize you meant that city I apologize.
Birmingham is hell... unless you're asian

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 01:51 PM

I have friends in Maidenhead, and visited them couple of times. Nice, cute, clean for the most parts. And EXPENSIVE.

Where in NY are your from ? Manhatten / LI, or Upstate ?
I guess that if you are used to Manhatten /LI prices, you'll find it ok, if not, you'll find it quite pricey.

-t

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:47 PM

While I've never been to Maidenhead, I know the surrounding area, that's what I meant.

I still don't understand why everyone is giving Birmingham such a bad rap! I only live an hour away, and have friends who live there. Like I said earlier, if you live in the right part of Birmingham it's not a bad place to live.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by driven
He can tell where we are from based on our "location" tag which shows up to the left of your post.
I know that it shows where you are now, but it doesn't give much of a clue about where you are from!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 09:10 AM

here is a site that gives a good bit of info about a particular area

UpMyStreet - For where you live

as for which one, well they all have there ups and downs, i wouldn't say any of them are any better than each other, apart the Birmingham is the biggest and should give you the widest choice.

Edit, remembered some more sites...

Another one for schools Ofsted – Home Page

Transport info:
Highways Agency - Home
National Rail Enquiries - Official source for rail information, UK train times and timetables

environmental issues
Homecheck - FREE guide to your Environment
http://www.environmentagency.gov.uk/

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 12:15 PM

Why would anyone want to move to UK?

I would say that there's a good chance that you end up regretting this relocation, mainly due to the fact that you will be uprooting your son and placing him in a British state school where he'll never fit in.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Sep 19, 2006 at 12:23 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Why would anyone want to move to UK?

I would say that there's a good chance that you end up regretting this relocation, mainly due to the fact that you will be uprooting your son and placing him in a British state school where he'll never fit in.
I love the UK, and if it weren't for the ridiculously over-bearing government I'd move there in a second.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I love the UK, and if it weren't for the ridiculously over-bearing government I'd move there in a second.
What country's government is better ?

Oh, I forgot, Mexinada, of course.

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
What country's government is better ?

Oh, I forgot, Mexinada, of course.

-t
The countries I would say have better governments are: US, Canada, Japan, Australia. Probably some others, but I'm not that familiar with politics in South America, Southern Asia, or Eastern Europe. I'm not saying the US, Canada, or any of the others are perfect, just that, at the current moment, I prefer their domestic policies to those of the UK.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 02:01 PM

What don't you like about the British State? (leaving politics aside)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
What don't you like about the British State? (leaving politics aside)
Politics aside, I love the UK and visit often. But politics can play a huge part in your daily life, and I don't intend to move to the UK unless there's a major policy shift. (Moving to Boston was bad enough...)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 02:11 PM

:/

poop and poop begets more poop.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
:/

poop and poop begets more poop.
I thought it just kinda decomposed into it's constituent elements minus those that were metabolized by the various bacteria, insects, and whatnot that fed on it in the meantime.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 03:26 PM

I looked at pictures of Birmingham it looked really pretty in many parts of that city. I did not realized that there are 1,100,000 living there. So it means they have theatres, movies houses, and plenty of cultural events. Plus this lady is going to have friends real fast. Your children are joining your life not the opposite. Moving is going to the smart decision for her and her son is going to fit in just great.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I thought it just kinda decomposed into it's constituent elements minus those that were metabolized by the various bacteria, insects, and whatnot that fed on it in the meantime.

haahahaahah....WTF!!! i posted this in the ford GM thread and it ended up here?...weird.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
haahahaahah....WTF!!! i posted this in the ford GM thread and it ended up here?...weird.
Yeah, I was wondering.

On the other hand, I have seen stranger things in the Lounge...

-t

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2006, 04:39 PM

I have lived in Slough, Maidenhead and Reading in the past. They are all very close to each other. Maidenhead is about 10 miles west of Slough and Reading another 10 or so west of Maidenhead. I preferred Reading, there are some nice small towns surrounding it (Woodley, Twyford etc) and the centre of the city is good for shops etc.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules