Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Former Admin User nagged by Software Update?

Former Admin User nagged by Software Update?
eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2009, 11:39 AM

How can I get Software Update to quit nagging me?

I have a user account on my shiny new 27 inch iMac that started out as an admin user, but has now been demoted to regular user. Unfortunately, I log in with this user account, Software Update pops up complaining that it can't make changes without administrative privileges.

Well, duh.

I've set Software Update to not check automatically, but it still nags.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but this is a user account that was created with the Migration assistant. On the other computer, it was an admin.

So: how can I get Software Update to stop bugging this not-admin user account?

eyadams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2009, 01:25 PM

Figured it out. The problem wasn't software update, but Adobe Updater. I killed that and now things are peachy. The only question I'm left with is why the Adobe Updater was running at all - there's nothing in "Login Items" for this account, so what's telling it to run? And why only on this account? Oh well.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2009, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by eyadams View Post
Figured it out. The problem wasn't software update, but Adobe Updater. I killed that and now things are peachy. The only question I'm left with is why the Adobe Updater was running at all - there's nothing in "Login Items" for this account, so what's telling it to run? And why only on this account? Oh well.
Depends on what Adobe programs you have, but programs such as Acrobat (full version) and Photoshop or Photoshop Elements have something in their Preferences which is by default set to check automatically, in the background, at a specified interval (such as every week), for updates, and then to open Adobe Updater and inform you when one is found. In some cases it only happens when the program itself is actually activated, but in other cases it will happen every x days even when the program in question has not been run during that interval. You can change the Preferences to avoid such background activity. In some cases, only the account under which the program was originally installed will be "bothered" by this updater activity, but that too depends on which program is involved.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules