Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > easy 3D app.

easy 3D app.
zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 12:19 PM

Hi all,

I know there is half a zillion of them on PC, but I am a Mac dude and we talk Mac here.
I would need an easy (well mac) soft that allow me to make simple 3D stuff (text, basic shapes) and if some "motion" light effects could be there it would be a Rolls for my video editing! ;o)

stew
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 05:55 AM

I'm using Pixels:3D which is MacOS only.
You might also want to consider Carrara or Poser if you're interested in character animation.

Stink different.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:12 AM

Another vote for Carrara, a new version is coming out in Sept (V3)

Trace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 09:26 PM

Strata 3D Pro is a very good app for beginning to intermediate 3D design. Cheap too. Check it out.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Trace:
Strata 3D Pro is a very good app for beginning to intermediate 3D design. Cheap too. Check it out.
I second Strata for indroductory 3D... it also has some funky particle effects you may find useful for video. It has a really strong renderer for the price that rivals some of the stuff seen in higher-end apps (caustics, raydiosity, toonshading, etc) and it raytraces pretty quickly. The modeling is a little on the weaker side, but it comes with lots of primitives and you can get by if you're inventive. The text tool lacks a bit as it won't kern between characters (just spacing for the entire line of text), but you can import illustrator outines and go from there. It has a sweet 'shape' system that helps with complex project management and instances as well (allowing you to stuff complex models and animation sequences into 'shapes' which can then be nested within shapes within shapes - the animations can get very complex but remain managable). The sequencer is easy to get a grasp of as well (especially if you're accustomed to video apps).

It actually produces some really nice professional quality work if you know how to use it (and it's easy to figure out), I find myself going back to it all the time when I don't need the over-the-top complex stuff I use Maya for.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
The Admins made me get rid of my sig because it was too big...
Is the portfolio on the weblink above all your work? In any event, the artwork is superb. The Pepsi illustration: is it 3d work? I ask because of the texture on the tongue.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 12:38 PM

does anyone know where to find formZ tutorials?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2003, 10:46 PM

I recommended Cinema 4D 8

Modeling was easier than I've thought. I'm going to use it for my future icon works

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 04:19 PM

What would be good for game artwork? Gotta be dead-simple.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 10:20 PM

What I would not give for 3D Studio Max on an OSX platform

That's my only regret of switching.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Bryce, Vue'D Esprit and Poser, and of course - Photoshop

version
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
For 3D artwork, I'd use 3DsMAX, XSI, or Lightwave; lightwave being the only one available for the Mac.

For 2D, Photoshop and Illustrator

THose would give you most of the tools you'd need, and also the exporters and dev kits for your target platform.
A Jew with a view.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
What I would not give for 3D Studio Max on an OSX platform

That's my only regret of switching.
I'd go for Maya if you're used to Max. I used Max since it came out, and have been so frustrated, and annoyed with it too much, so I moved to XSI on the PC, but if you're used to Max, go with Maya, it's on the Mac, and runs really well.
A Jew with a view.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by version:
if you're used to Max, go with Maya, it's on the Mac, and runs really well.
Thanks! I'll try that.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
Thanks! I'll try that.
You can get an evaluation version of Maya from Alias, it's the full software, but comes with a watermark in the renders, and I think it has a proprietary file save, but it's great, comes with all the manuals too.

If you've got a PC, give XSI a bash, for me it's been the greatest piece of animation software ever written, probably the one of the greatest pieces of software ever written. There's a free version called XSI EXP which is the same as the $8000 version, except that it saves out to a proprietary format, but it's the full deal, all the manuals and training softwar eyou'd need.

http://www.softimage.com for XSI

http://www.alias.com for Maya
A Jew with a view.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 02:41 PM

On the Mac I use ZBrush, Maya, VectorWorks, and Swift3D.

I recommend Swift3D as it is fairly cheap and very easy, although not as feature-filled as the rest.

On the PC I use 3DsMax and Lightwave.

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

xanderwilson
Aug 25, 2003, 11:39 PM

I've used Hash Animation Master or Pixels3D and I don't mind recommending them to people. I haven't tried Carrara Basics, but that might be just what you're looking for (at a great price too). I also liked Canoma (from Metacreations), but Adobe bought it and I don't think they're ever going to do anything with it except gut its technology for other programs.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 05:19 AM

I saw another question about this on Spymac. A lot of the people there reccommend 4D XL, which is a great program with one of the fastest renderers out there. Another app that was suggested was Infini-D (which has since been discontinued in favor of Carrara Studio). If you go to www.rustboy.com you can see some of the things that a low end program can really do. Carrara Studio 2 is out now, and 3 will be coming out in september. Plus if you are a student, you can get it for a very good price at www.academicsuperstore.com

-cS
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
...you can see some of the things that a low end program can really do...
It's ALWAYS been about the artist, not the chosen application. Sure a few apps have less power than others, but the skill of the user has never been reflected in the price they paid for the app.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 06:58 PM

I have an ibook, and i want a 3d program demo that i can try out, that later will be cheap to get, any recommendations?

other 3d apps work fine, but they're not simple to use...

any recommendations?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
any recommendations?
Not to sound rude, but I'd consider getting more power, computing wise.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 10:02 PM

i know, i know, i've odne 3d word before on the ibook, i just wanna do basic stuff, i'm getting a tower in about two months anyway, but for now, any recommendation besides maya?

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 05:20 AM

How about the 3D Toolkit from dvGarage
?

Lots of tutorials come with it and the learning curve is gentle. There�s also an upgrade path to Universe should you consider to get the "big boy"

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 02:11 PM

Lightwave is the best. Hands down.
I just recently played with a friend's Mac that had it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules