Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > It's Sept. 22; your G5 Dual CTO order will...

View Poll Results: What do you think Apple will do?
Poll Options:
Actually ship, at the last possible minute. 14 votes (28.57%)
Wait till the last possible minute, then send an email telling us it will be another month. 19 votes (38.78%)
Let the date pass, with no email, no shipping, no information. 16 votes (32.65%)
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
It's Sept. 22; your G5 Dual CTO order will... (Page 3)
whitey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 11:14 PM

Ordered my dual G5 on 9/4 with 1 gig ram, airport, 9800 pro, bluetooth, and a 250gig harrd drive. The original OOB date was 9/25. Well it just shipped a day early!

I ordered my G5 from the ADC hardware channel.

ironicmark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:53 AM

FINALLY!

I waited all freakin' day for the FedEx truck and finally gave up. Then, at 9:10 pm, it showed up! This is my first post from my brand new G5 dualie! I will not be sleeping tonight, that's for sure. Hang in there guys, it's worth the wait!

BTW: It's even more beautiful in person.

- mark

MacPhyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by whitey:
Ordered my dual G5 on 9/4 with 1 gig ram, airport, 9800 pro, bluetooth, and a 250gig harrd drive. The original OOB date was 9/25. Well it just shipped a day early!

I ordered my G5 from the ADC hardware channel.

I ordered a stock dual from ClubMac on 8/16 and am still waiting for my order status to change from "All Backordered" to something else, anything else... and tonight I see September orders are going out! I suppose the reason I'm still waiting must be that I didn't order from Apple Education or the Apple Dev. Store, or if I'd ordered from Apple instead of any retailer I probably would have my G5 already. I just can't see forking over hundereds of dollars in taxes when I'm already paying a premium price for the 'puter itself. So I ordered from ClubMac for the tax savings, and now I'm just waiting on pins and needles...

Congrats to all who have received their new G5's!

<fingers and toes crossed>
PM7500/400/256

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 08:29 AM

This could be the holdup--they are assembling them wearing silk evening gowns!
it was the world's fastest computer when I ordered it!

oogje
Sep 25, 2003, 05:29 PM

Actually, that may not be the cause of a hold-up but an indication they've hired temporary help to get them out the door.

In fact the fully loaded dual with the many ship dates I mentioned in this thread just went from OOB 10/29 to "shipped" in the past hour or two.

The order status page shows an Airborne tracking number but it's apparently too soon for airborne's web page to know about it.

Anyway, it looks good for people who got bumped from 9/23 to 10/29.

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 07:04 PM

Reading these threads reminds me of that commercial where the guy stranded on the desert island keep finding the Bud Light bottles that some other guy seals his name and address in and throws in the ocean.

Except that a Dual G5 is much more useful than a bottle of Bug Light.

Probably tastes better, too.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by CambAngst:
Reading these threads reminds me of that commercial where the guy stranded on the desert island keep finding the Bud Light bottles that some other guy seals his name and address in and throws in the ocean.

Except that a Dual G5 is much more useful than a bottle of Bug Light.

Probably tastes better, too.
I received the tracking # from AirBum tonite.
Express Delivery (bumped up by Apple) tomorrow.
Ordered 9/5 thru Ed. Store for my oldest daughter.

2gig, 160HD, BT, ATI 9800, 512 RAM, no modem, no SD.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 08:00 PM

Hello ...

I got a FedEx tracking number this afternoon, with a "Priority Overnite" shipping upgrade.

I think I'll hold off celebrating until I have it in my hot little hands.

DayLateDon

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 01:00 AM

Hmmm. Talked to my rep today, she seemed adamant that my machine would ship today (Friday the 26th) and would try to upgrade it to Priority Overnight. Been doing business with her forever and she's always been right on the money, but we'll see...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

oogje
Sep 26, 2003, 11:31 AM

Deliverance

Ordered 6/24

Z07K POWER MAC G5 2.0GHZDP CTO 1 x,xxx.xx
With the following configuration:

Processor 065-4227 Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
Memory 065-4360 8GB DDR400 (PC3200) - 8x1GB
Hard Drive 065-4287 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
Optical Drive 065-4168 Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
Graphics Support 065-4288 ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Fibre Chl PCI 065-4491 None
Modem 065-4166 56k V.92 Internal Modem
BlueTooth 065-4292 BlueTooth Module
Airport 065-4293 Airport Extreme Card
Keyboard Language 065-4161 Apple Keyboard & Mouse
Mac OS Language 065-4160 Mac OS X
Country Kit 065-4159 Country Kit

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 12:21 PM

Don't let him drop it!!!!!

;-)

DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:25 PM

Hello ...

Well, it's been an interesting twenty-four hours or so.

First and foremost: FedEx Priority Overnight shipping brought my dual-G5 from California to central Texas by 10:00a.m., as indicated.

Wowee-zowee do I like this Mac ... and the Cinema Display? Bee-you-tea-full.

So, right now, I'm pretty darned happy. This doesn't quite make up for weeks of work lost by putting off projects while playing the "it'll be here tomorrow for sure!" game, but from here on out things should be pretty groovy.

But there's more to tell ... I got an e-mail last night from John Couch, Vice President of Education. He asked for some information about my order, pledging to make sure my Mac went out ASAP. I told him the box had shipped and thanked him for his attention ... and mentioned lightheartedly that a complimentary copy of the G5-optimized Mathematica and an optical-audio surround sound speaker system might just make us even.

This afternoon, I got an Apple call from "Anita", the secretary to John Couch. She wanted to follow up and make sure that my Mac had arrived and everything was okay. I told her it was. She explained that her boss had been made aware through the e-mail message I'd sent to [email protected]. She said that Steve Jobs himself had forwarded it to Mr. Couch. "Steve Jobs really read my message?" "Yes, he did!" Cool!

I received what is probably my final follow-up from Mr. Couch this afternoon. He thanked me for my input, offered his wishes that things go well, and wrote "I'll see what I can do about those other requests.". Free Mathematica and/or surround sound? That's really too much to hope for, but it's cool that he didn't simply dismiss it out of hand with a "Nice try, buddy!" or something.

I"ve written back to [email protected] thanking Steve for his help and praising the new G5. I also commended our account exec for his G5 loaner plan. (Maybe the guy'll get a nice bonus.)

I'm still backed up on those projects, but I'm feeling pretty good.

DayLateDon

oogje
Sep 27, 2003, 02:40 AM

Well done DayLateDon.

You've done us all, Apple included, a service by taking the time to give them the feedback they need in a form they can deal with. And Apple management paid you some respect for your efforts.

Asking for Mathematica seems pretty reasonable given you're an edu customer. I hope the VP can make it happen for you.

ber

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 02:41 AM

Day number 83 and counting:

"Apple has been working round the clock to fill customer orders and is very pleased to inform you that your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our apologies for any confusion it may have caused."

Well, I am coming up on the fifth day (they didn't say "business days" did they?) of the five day bumpout that took the place of the erroneous twenty two day bumpout noted above, after they blew through the September 22 delivery date after they blew through the August 29 date.

I'm thinkin they have screwed around with the dates so much that they don't even know themselves which ones they should be working on first.

I have about had it with these people and the appearance of units in the retail stores is the last straw.
it was the world's fastest computer when I ordered it!

DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 03:18 AM

Hello ...

oogje: Thanks for the comments. John Couch's secretary also said that my e-mail had been helpful. She actually mentioned that their office sent out a number of e-mails to edu customers last night. Although it wasn't completely clear, she _sounded_ like she saying that my message had triggered a closer look at more cases than mine; but maybe I'm just giving myself too much credit.

intaglio: My sense from contact with my new Apple management buddies is that dualies are coming off the production line fast and furious now. (Don't quote me on that, or read into it some promise from Apple. It is _only_ a sense I've gotten.) However, I'm proof that it doesn't hurt to put in a phone call, fax, or e-mail demanding satisfaction. Just try to be diplomatic.

justinD and others: Keep us posted.

DayLateDon

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:09 AM

received it yesterday morning...this baby is rockin! my first post with my G5

Originally posted by Maharaja:
My Order Date 09/07/2003, 11:34 PM PST has shipped and i'm just waiting for it to arrive. I live in Tokyo and ordered from Apple Store Japan. Dual G5 is expected to be at the market this Friday and i hope to get it on the same day.

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
1GB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x512
160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
None
56k V.92 Internal Modem
None
None
Apple Keyboard & Mouse
Mac OS X-ZJ
Country Kit-J

Shipped
1 Shipped 09/22/2003

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 12:18 AM

Hmm! A day after a loooong letter to iCEO, my rep, and the chick in charge of Edu. Inst. sales, my G5 shipped.

FedEx Ground. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Well, better than UPS. Heck, better than not shipping at all! =)

No record in FedEx's system yet. Hmph.
*justin

MacPhyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 01:33 AM

My 2x2 stock config shipped 9/26 and will be here sometime Monday via FedEx Standard Overnight. (Shipping is at no cost to me.) I ordered through ClubMac on 8/16; when I ordered, the rep quoted me 3-6 weeks, and this will come in at just under 6 weeks. Not too bad!

Just a note though: when I first tried to track, the info wasn't in FedEx's system, and still wasn't about 18 hours later according to Netscape. I had forgotten that I needed to refresh the tracking page. So in case anyone's wondering why their tracking info's not showing up, refresh!
PM7500/400/256

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 01:38 AM

Guh! My status is still at "Shipped", but now the G5 is back to "Open" and the tracking # is gone. (i copied it down though for tracking purposes)

Good or bad? Or should I not worry? Argh! It's like torture!
*justin

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 02:05 AM

To my surprise, my dual G5 shipped Friday. It was ordered 8/18 with a 10/29 date. It came saturday overnight! I can't believe that...i paid for ground! I got just about everything loaded now...im in heaven.
Wierd thing...i can hear the cinema display when things are drawn on screen. example: when an icon bounces in the dock i can hear it rining to the motion. (speakers are off)
I'm pretty sure this is comming form the monitor. Its even louder when i minimize a window.
I also didn't have any ram recognition problems like ive been hearing. got ram from crucial and macsolitions (4x 512)

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 03:31 AM

Hmm. Seems like my G5 is drifting in and out of being 'shipped'. Boo?!
*justin

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2003, 09:03 AM

My duallie G5 was supposed to be shipped on 9/26. Of course, I went to the PC CONNECTION tracking site and it still hadn't shipped. I called them and they claim their shipment is now coming in on Wednesday of next week. 10/1. AHHHHHH. I hope they don't tell me; "it's actually going to be next week." At least I feel like a kid again.
ebuddy

turk.o
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
To my surprise, my dual G5 shipped Friday. It was ordered 8/18 with a 10/29 date. It came saturday overnight! I can't believe that...i paid for ground! I got just about everything loaded now...im in heaven.
Wierd thing...i can hear the cinema display when things are drawn on screen. example: when an icon bounces in the dock i can hear it rining to the motion. (speakers are off)
I'm pretty sure this is comming form the monitor. Its even louder when i minimize a window.
I also didn't have any ram recognition problems like ive been hearing. got ram from crucial and macsolitions (4x 512)
tyson, you jerk! no, seriously, congratulations, i ordered on the same date, an edu order also, and mine still hasn't shipped, and apple changed my shipping from Priority Overnight to 2-Day. damnit! all i want is a straight answer from these bozos instead of my b.s. 10/29 ship date.

Short Circuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 03:18 PM

They say delivery in 7-10 days...
Gotha belive them...

W

action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 05:36 PM

to my surprise i got an airborne tracking number saturday evening.

the tracking states it was pickedup at 5 oclock west coast time.

schedule delivery in nyc mon the 29th.

hopefully this ordeal will be over soon.

chung

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
Are you sure it's the monitor and not the video card? A high pitch noise from the video card (esp. the 9800) has been noted when the dock does its thing.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 08:15 PM

Dammit, Apple's cheating! Even though my rep assures me that it'll get here on or before (ha) Friday... FedEx hasn't even taken possesion of the box! All Apple's done is create the label, they haven't shipped anything. Boooooo. =(
*justin

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 02:25 PM

I called a local store yesterday and ordered a Dual 2GHz G5. It came in today and I am picking it up in an hours.

Screw the ApplesStore.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Forum Links
Forum Rules