Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 video problems

G5 video problems
whitey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 02:33 AM

I got my dual G5 and thursday and have been noticing a problem with the video. The screen becomes distorted and random times and teh only way to fix it is to put it to sleep or reboot. My G5 has a 9800 pro card, and 2 gb of ram (one gig apple ram, one gig crucial).

My G5 is running the Mac OS X 10.2.7 which shipped with the G5.

Here is a screenshot:

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 03:04 AM

What monitor?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

docman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What monitor?
who knows, but if he can take a screenshot, it seems like the problem would be either in the graphics card/driver or elsewhere in the graphics system. (ie, not a physical problem with the monitor or its connections).

whitey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 03:09 AM

It is a 20" Cinema Display. But yeah I agree with docman. Since the problem is showing up in the screenshot it can't be a problem with the monitor. I first thought it could be a loose cable.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 03:45 AM

that my friends is a busted graphics card. Have it replaced.
Aloha

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Link:
that my friends is a busted graphics card. Have it replaced.
I agree it's a bad video card.
Had a similar problem with a video card in a Blue and White G3, same types of patterns.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2003, 10:58 AM

I had a similar problem with a TiBook that was corrected with an OS update, but it seemed to show that pattern only in the DVD player. But yeah, take it back.

whitey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 05:08 PM

I just got off the phone with the apple tech suport people, and after running the Apple Hardware test that comes on the G5 system softeware cd it seems that there is a problem with the logic board. The exact error said
"2Fan/4/8: Backside For Fan"

Well this isn't cool since now I have to take my G5 into a service center to have it repaired after having it for only 5 days.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 05:11 PM

Actually, I think "2Fan/4/8: Backside For Fan" is an erronious error and you can ignore it. See here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86492

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Actually, I think "2Fan/4/8: Backside For Fan" is an erronious error and you can ignore it. See here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86492
Betcha he still has to bring it in. Yeah, it sucks, but no group of machines is gonna be perfect. Whitey got the joker.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

whitey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I tried running the hardware test over again and this time it passed the logic board test. I guess that erronious fan error doesn't happen all the time. This time all the tests passed except the last one which was the video card test. I called Apple back to report my new findings and see if they would send me a replacement video card since I didn't want to have to leave my new G5 at a Service Provider for who knows how long. I wouldn't send me a card, but this time they said since I purchased the AppleCare plan for my computer they could send out a repair person to my apartment to replace my video card. The dispatch person I spoke with to setup the repair actually had internet access (unlike the regular tech support people) and was able to see my screenshots and verify it was definately a failed video card.

Now I have to wait for them to receive a 9800 pro and come out and replace it, but at least I will be able to limp along with my current card as I wait. Only 5 days and the extended warrenty is paying off.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2003, 11:08 PM

Stupid question here, but uh...you need an extended warranty to cover a bad video card after only having owned the computer for 5 days???
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2003, 11:11 PM

Disregard prior post, in second reading noticed the difference to be the on-site repairman. Also understanding from numerous posts, the infrequency of this issue overall. Sorry, I'm getting angsty as mine was supposed to be here Monday and I'll be lucky if it's here by next Monday.
ebuddy

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 30, 2003, 11:41 PM

The fan error is incorrect. Ignore that.

"Hello, what have we here?

whitey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 04:19 PM

Just to follow up, the Apple (well contracted by Apple) repair person stopped by and replaced my graphics card and my machines seems to be running fine. Since my problems where intermittent only time will tell if the problem is actually solved or is a flaw in the design. Since my I seem to have been the only one with thsi problem hopefully it was just a bad card. The repair person indicated that the problem may been from the card overheating which is a bit concerning seeing as the G5 has so many fans and an additional fan on the Radeon 9800 Pro itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules