Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radeon 9800 Pro GPU temperatures

Radeon 9800 Pro GPU temperatures
whitey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 09:02 PM

I am wondering what temperatures other Dual G5 owners with the Radeon 9800 Pro card are seeing. I am using ThermographX to monitor the temperature of the GPU and I am getting temps of 190F (88C) which seem really hot. I have had my computer on most the day, but haven't really taxed the graphics card so this is under normal operating conditions, and the GPU is running almost twice as hot as any of the other components with sensors. All my fans seem to be working including the fan on the GPU.

I am a bit paranoid about this because my first card graphics card had to be replaced after possibly overheating.

If owners of Dual G5s with the Radeon 9800 Pro card or the 9600 Pro card (for comparison) could run ThermographX and post their GPU temps I would appreciate it.

ThermographX:
http://versiontracker.com/dyn/morein...0905&mode=info

Thanks,
Whitey

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 09:39 PM

Thermograph does not work properly with the G5s. My CPU temperature never changes, even when putting the machine in a 50�F environment (sleeping so the CPU is NOT being used) for over an hour. Bringing it out of sleep mode, and running the utlity, it still says the exact same temperatures.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

whitey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 11:04 PM

I have noticed that there is't much change. I just assumed that everythign was just staying pretty constant. I am seeing some change in my results, however the processor temps don't change much even when I tax them. I will try sleeping it over night and see if anything changes. I guess if the values are stuck then this high 190F could actually be from my previous card.

Any one know of a more accurate way to check the thermal sensors on the 9800 card, assuming they are incorrect.

Whitey

Forum Links
Forum Rules