Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Another iTunes (Windows) bug?

Another iTunes (Windows) bug?
ZooTV
Oct 21, 2003, 02:13 PM

I recently moved my mp3's to my PC and downloaded iTunes for windows. When I dragged my MP3's into the playlists as I had done on the mac, I noticed that some files did not show up, in one folder of 393 mp3's, only 331 would appear, every single time I deleted and re-dragged them to the window. In another folder of 27 all 27 appeared, and in a folder of 74, only 73 appeared. I have located the specific files that will not transfer and there seems to be nothing different about them. They will play in windows media player, but iTunes will not play them. Has anyone had a similar problem?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 02:17 PM

They are probably WMA (windows media) files. These will not play in iTunes.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 03:37 PM

This is more of a compatibility issue than a software bug.

ZooTV  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 03:37 PM

No, they are MP3's that worked on my Mac in iTunes.

ZooTV  (op)
Oct 22, 2003, 11:54 PM

I've taken a closer look at these files with an app called Dr. Tag, and it reports them as MPG/2.5 L-? CBR 22KHz 0 Kbps, where as it reports files that work as MPG1/L-III CBR 44KHz at xxx Kbps. All of these files were reported as MP3's on my mac, at 44KHz. Again, windows media player reads them but QT6.4 and iTunes refuse to. Any ideas?

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 02:12 AM

Did you look at the names of the missing MP3 files? Any characters inside them that are not allowed on windoze?

ZooTV  (op)
Oct 23, 2003, 09:13 AM

No the character names are fine.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 10:31 AM

Have you upgraded to iTunes 4.1.1

Note:

"What's new in iTunes 4.1.1

iTunes 4.1.1 includes improved performance when using your iPod, addresses an incompatibility with Windows 2000 and older third-party CD burning software, and improves support for non-standard mp3 files. Also, the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" preference is now turned off by default."

Perhaps this will help.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by ZooTV:
I recently moved my mp3's to my PC and downloaded iTunes for windows. When I dragged my MP3's into the playlists as I had done on the mac, I noticed that some files did not show up, in one folder of 393 mp3's, only 331 would appear, every single time I deleted and re-dragged them to the window. In another folder of 27 all 27 appeared, and in a folder of 74, only 73 appeared. I have located the specific files that will not transfer and there seems to be nothing different about them. They will play in windows media player, but iTunes will not play them. Has anyone had a similar problem?
the biggest problem I've had for iTunes for windows (winTunes i will call from now on), is that sometimes the "theme" of itunes disappears, and i see the crappy and ugly windows toolbars for portions of the window...

oh well, that and the fact the CD-rom here @ work is only ripping my CDs @ 1.5x top, winTunes is fine... and ripping here @ working saves some massive wear-and-tear on my superdrive.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

RAMGarden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 12:38 PM

Check this out:

My coworker has a Powerbook G4 and I have a Dell with Windows XP.
We both have iTunes (lastest version of each 4.1.1 for me).
We are behind the University's firewall.
I go to the music store, browse some CD's, listen to some samples and decide to buy a CD. Upon clicking the Account: Sign In button, it gives this error message:

iTunes could not connect to the music store.
Make sure your network connection is active and try again.

Here's the CRAZY part. I walked across the room and logged in on my friend's Apple computer and bought the CD just fine.
Now I can't even authorize my computer to play the CD I bought.
It may have something to do with the way the Windows version of iTunes creates a secure connection back to the client. Our proxy settings are the same so it couldn't be something simple. Anyone else ran across this problem?

ZooTV  (op)
Oct 23, 2003, 01:13 PM

Nope, this is the latest verson 4.1.1 of iTunes, and these files aren't off the iTMS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules