Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Upgraded Ipods? (ipod touch)

Upgraded Ipods? (ipod touch)
Izzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 07:37 PM

i heard tht this december Apple is going to introduce new ipods..or at least upgrades along with the neww laptops?? is this true and if so what upgrades to the ipods?

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2008, 08:37 PM

Your guess is as good as my guess which is as good as my dogs guess. Apple leaks are rarely reliable.

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 04:14 PM

Personally, I think Apple will not release any new iPods.
But some upgrades might be possible. They might add something new to iPod touch or make it smaller, i have no idea, and I think there is a very small chance that they will do anything with the iPods.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2008, 04:31 PM

I think that firmware string proves a substantial iTouch update is coming, unless one wishes to believe Apple's engineers place strings in code to throw us off. And I have to disagree with pcryan - Apple rumors do have a level of reliability. MacRumors, for instance, has a pretty good track record.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
And I have to disagree with pcryan - Apple rumors do have a level of reliability. MacRumors, for instance, has a pretty good track record.
Interesting that! It seemed that there was quite a level of surprise on this forum when the Touch (16GB!?!) and the MacAir (80GB!!) were released so I assumed the legendary Apple secrecy machine was in fact effective.

Darn - wrong again. I'm gonna lose that second star any day now...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 06:30 PM

I would be surprised if the iPod Touch wasn't upgraded by the end of the year. What that upgrade will be is anyone's guess. Most likely would be a memory increase. Anything else is speculation.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Interesting that! It seemed that there was quite a level of surprise on this forum when the Touch (16GB!?!)
Well, just adding capacity and dropping prices doesn't really constitute "new" iPods.

Apple can do (and has done) that at any random point in time, rumours or no.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2008, 09:00 AM

32GB flash chips have just started becoming available. December isn't an absurd amount of time for ramp-up to start seeing them in product.

Note, I haven't seen spec sheets on the new flash chips to know if they're pin compatible with existing ones or not.

If they were, you could start seeing 64GB iPod Touch and 32GB iPhone.

Again, that's speculation.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 02:46 PM

There will some sort of update before december, that's for sure.

My guess is...
New colors for shuffle
New for factor for Nano (bigger screen, no touch capability (8 gigs = $149, 16 gig = $199)
iPod Touch gets a memory increase (16 gigs for $250, 32 gigs for $350)
iPod classic gets replaced with a harddrive/flash combo touch. Looks like a fat iPod touch Has 8 gigs of flash memory for apps and the OS and a traditional big hard drive only for movies, pics and songs. (80 gigs for $400, 160 gigs for $500)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 03:16 PM

Do you really think anyone will pay that much for a classic?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 03:23 PM

The Classic he's describing isn't really a Classic ... it's an 80-160 gig Touch. People might be willing to fork out $400-$500 for that. But, it would leave a gap in the product line for a high capacity/low cost model.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say, if they turned the Classic into a Touch, it'd no longer be a Classic.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 03:42 PM

I understand now. I think there should always be at least one classic model available, though.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 03:43 PM

I'm waiting for a slim 160 GB model. My fat 80 GB has less than 1.5 gigs free.

wrambro
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2008, 11:54 PM

Well the refurb 32gb Touch on the Apple Store just (within the last day or two) went down $30 dollars from $429 to $399. Take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's telling us something.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2008, 04:35 PM

new ipods and macbooks are going to be announced in september.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

choosealex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 11:54 PM

it's weird how even wikipedia considers the ipod classic to be high end. it's the basic staple of the ipod diet-it's what everyone started out with and it's what revolutionized the music player market. i don't see it evolving into a touch screen,and if it did,it would have limited capabilities. possibly control for cover flow and maybe some downloadable games,but nothing keyboard friendly.

i'm giving the late september announcement opinion. it's surely right after all of the "buy a mac,get a free ipod" education initiative - and it surely gave apple the quick fix to get rid of stock fast.
i doubt the ipod classic will be phased out. adding memory to the ipod classic would be beyond insane - the larger model has more than my computer can fit. and i have a two year old iMac! I don't see a hard disk getting any bigger for it.
i think the ipod touch will get thinner. hopefully,they make it more like an iphone and add a camera or something. a bit of a bang for the buck never hurt. i'd expect the whole design change from the iphone to be implemented in the ipod touch,with the black/white back. possible price cuts,nothing too serious. maybe dropping the eight gb version,and making the 16 the lower-priced one.
i think the nanos and shuffles will get a color change,like previously stated. i never saw what was wrong with the bold colors-might they re-introduce them? shuffle could use a small screen,that might come,only a one-lined situation. but only for song display. then again,it would make it seem unfit with other ipods - that's a play it by ear thing. nano could get bigger screen,but then the classic would too.

i think apple might ditch the mirrored back. it's not for certain,but it could happen. they already ditched the original ipod colors,so why not.

it would be hella cool if all of the new ipods had glowing apple symbols on the back,like the macbooks.
( Last edited by choosealex; Aug 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: *didn't make a complete statement about september opinion)

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2008, 10:10 AM

Something's going on with the supply chain. I have been to Walmart and Target the last couple weeks and I've noticed a extreme decrease in the number of units, especially ipods and touches in the glass cases. In fact Sam's actually had a sign indicating they were out of a certain color nano.

What I want to see is bluetooth stereo capability in the nano and touch.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2008, 04:05 PM

that's standard operating procedure: clearing their inventory to make room for new stock.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jdonahoe View Post
Something's going on with the supply chain. I have been to Walmart and Target the last couple weeks and I've noticed a extreme decrease in the number of units, especially ipods and touches in the glass cases. In fact Sam's actually had a sign indicating they were out of a certain color nano.

What I want to see is bluetooth stereo capability in the nano and touch.
That'll eat tons of battery.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
That'll eat tons of battery.
I wouldn't mind them being two millimetres thicker for extended battery life.

-

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2008, 10:48 PM

So is it worth to take a grab at a 32GB iPod touch if they're going to get updated. I'm trying to use the buy a mac get a free ipod deal to get the big rebate.
Bla Bla Bla

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 04:31 AM

Maybe september?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by choosealex View Post
it would be hella cool if all of the new ipods had glowing apple symbols on the back,like the macbooks.
Most people I know keep their iPods in some sort of bag/cover. Apart from that, it would eat battery life.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sogbrightlight View Post
So is it worth to take a grab at a 32GB iPod touch if they're going to get updated. I'm trying to use the buy a mac get a free ipod deal to get the big rebate.
If it's free when you buy your Mac, then yes, it is worth it. But, that deal won't apply to any updated iPods released in September.

choosealex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 02:26 PM

i think that the "new ipod nano" looks like a doctored image.
it looks like someone got crazy with photoshop on their mac,distorting the screen size. also,it looks ugly. lawsuits would be coming up like crazy,because microsoft could claim that the ipod stole the zune look. sure,in a perfect world,we might not have a zune,but a zune looking ipod isn't really flush with the current ipod line.
it would easily mean the ipod classic would be getting a widescreen makeover,also.
and isn't the ipod nano supposed to be small enough to fit in your girlfriend's size 'too-small" skinny jeans that can barely fit a couple of dollars and some change?

ugly design+slightly copied design+mix of old design [see ipod 2g with no reflective back] = piece of crap ipod.

and i'd have a hard time believing steve jobs would approve of an ipod that looked like a zune. it's his final say,no?

if apple wanted to create the same ipod shell type for each ipod,they would easily just cut the backs off and make them do that whole "pushed in corners" deal with some aluminum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules