Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woke up to a dead fridge, warm food ...

Woke up to a dead fridge, warm food ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2009, 09:10 AM

Woke up to a dead fridge, warm food, and water on the floor. Going to be an expensive week. ;-(

It's at least 14 years old and has been tripping the circuit breaker repeatedly over the last couple weeks. I guess that was the sign it was giving up the ghost.

Any tips or words of wisdom for buying a new fridge? I know I want a bottom freezer drawer model. Any other thoughts on efficiency, etc.? Thanks!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

I sympathize. My hulking fridge (a 1974 Amanda ) died a few years ago.
The replacement - a Fridgidaire, lasted about one year because a girlfriend left the freezer door open for two days. The third, a Westinghouse, is now about 3 years old and showing all the wear and tear of the antiquated Amanda I had (seals getting loose, running all the time..)

My advice is to buy a large quantity of ice - keep it someplace cold, perhaps the North Pole. Because unless you spend some green, you're going to get something that lasts only a few years. Now, where are those Vikings, Wolfs and Sub Zeros....
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2009, 10:17 AM

Bosch appliances are pretty good... my parents have had there tall fridge and freeze for 8 years... still going strong!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 10:24 AM

I would concur that expecting 14 years out of your replacement is probably a bit optimistic. Almost all appliances are built by a small number of companies and rebranded (yes the are smaller specialty brands, I'm talking about the majors), so quality is likely to be consistent across the board. When you pay more, you are paying for better materials and features, so I would set your budget and pick the one that you like best in that price range. Obsessing about brands is not likely to do you much good.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2009, 10:25 AM

I have been out of the "game" for almost a year but i did sell appliances for 6 years.
My advice with bottom freezers would be samsung or LG. The efficiency of both is similar (50-60$ per year) but the Samsung does have some advantages.
First with samsungs "Twin-Cooling" system which allows for better airflow/efficiency/less odor transfer. The system basically still utilizes a single compressor but with two evaporators (one for the fridge and one for the freezer) therefore the fridge/freezer are sealed off from one and another (unlike most other makes which transfer air from the freezer to the fridge using a single compressor/evaporator system) its a great system and has done very well IMO over the last few years.

LG on the other hand still uses the old school single compressor/evaporator system but there quality has been on the up and up (especially with bottom freezers) the last few years and that's actually what i currently own.

Its going to come down to preference within the systems to which you like more, depending on shelf configuration, size, capacity, features, but those are some quick tips.

If you have any direct questions about models/makes i'll try and answer all that i can

Side note: i saw a Bosch recommendation and although i've never sold them, ive heard some good things.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I would concur that expecting 14 years out of your replacement is probably a bit optimistic.
Agreed, it seems in my experience the 10 year life is to be expected and anything in the 8-12 year range would be good in my mind.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 11:39 AM

Calling you at 3 AM to ask if your refrigerator is running would have been strangely appropriate.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Calling you at 3 AM to ask if your refrigerator is running would have been strangely appropriate.
No, but my refrigerator enjoys long walks.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
and probably helpful.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 03:26 PM

Try craigslist. My mower died a few years back midway through the lawn. I jumped online and found someone giving away a decent one. I had the rest of the lawn cut within about two hours. I'll bet CL has a few refrigerators out there for just a few bucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules