Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TRON Legacy

TRON Legacy
Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 12:09 AM

Anyone else catch the new trailer attached to Alice? It's finally made it's way online (traileraddict, not Apple's site yet) and it looks pretty awesome.

Of course, after making us wait 27 years, it'd better be.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2010, 09:06 AM

Tron Legacy

I can not wait for this. I saw the first one the day it came out in the theater.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I dunno. I love the first one, but it's only because of it's unique visual style. This remake looks like anything else that comes out. Nothing looked like Tron when it came out and nothing has looked like it since. That's what makes it special.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Mar 9, 2010, 02:43 PM

This seems to be the year of sequels/remakes of movies I enjoyed as a kid, with this topping the 'must see' list. I'll definitely see this one in the theatre (I do that twice a year, maybe. You better be a special movie to make me tolerate the idiots that watch movies here.)

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2010, 02:51 PM

Son of Tron?

I too saw the first in the theater, and this trailor didn't appear to be anything other than a very a blandly slick-looking sequel to a groundbreaking, unique movie.

Hopefully it will be more than that, and I'm still intrigued. But what I really want to do is watch the the first again.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I just watched it again. Here is the thing... the thing that makes Tron special is that it is very much a product of the era it was created in. Taking the wonderful early 80s computer look of the original and glossing over it with whiz-bang modern effects that do nothing but take the original designs and make bring them up to date is really not doing it for me.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 04:34 PM

Looks crazy amazing visually. Can't wait.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Yeah, I just watched it again. Here is the thing... the thing that makes Tron special is that it is very much a product of the era it was created in. Taking the wonderful early 80s computer look of the original and glossing over it with whiz-bang modern effects that do nothing but take the original designs and make bring them up to date is really not doing it for me.
Then go see Avatar if you are looking for that. It's all been done so they have to go with an art style to stand out.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 04:44 PM

I agree with ORT888. This is appealing to me the same the remake of The A Team is. Nada.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 04:53 PM

Those of you that don't like Tron didn't really understand it. Yeah, there's more to it than light cycles and I/O towers.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Then go see Avatar if you are looking for that. It's all been done so they have to go with an art style to stand out.
But that's my problem. I don't think the art style stands out. It's Tron, without any of the awesome retro charm, all modernized.

Look, I love the original movie. A lot. I'll see this one with an open mind... but so far, the trailers aren't impressing me.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2010, 05:33 PM

I don't remember the first one very well, so this trailer is looking interesting to me. However, I will agree that everything today is getting modged into one flashy glossy style.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 05:45 PM

<tronguy.jpg>

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2010, 02:00 AM

good to see at least some original cast.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
But that's my problem. I don't think the art style stands out. It's Tron, without any of the awesome retro charm, all modernized.

Look, I love the original movie. A lot. I'll see this one with an open mind... but so far, the trailers aren't impressing me.
Strange. I just watched the original a month ago and I think they updated the style perfectly in this new one.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2010, 03:01 PM

Bruce Boxleitner AND Jeff Bridges. This is gonna be awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hayesk
Mar 10, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Strange. I just watched the original a month ago and I think they updated the style perfectly in this new one.
Yep - can't agree more. And the original did have more than computer effects - even then, visual style did not make the movie by itself.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 04:18 PM

The big difference I see is that the black portions of the sets/people/vehicles now has texture and gradients/lighting to it. Before it was just black with a neon outline which if they updated would look exactly the same.

Hey wait, come to think of it, was there any black PEOPLE in the original? If not I could see why not for purely technical reasons

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2010, 05:15 PM

Yes, and that vector look is still cool, while this is like Tron meets the Matrix.

finboy
Mar 11, 2010, 12:58 AM

Let's hope they make Bit a QBit now, so he can say 32 things instead of just "Yes" and "No."

Flynn probably lives in a MacDonald's cash register. They NEVER change out those things!

Actually, he probably lives in one of those CNC controllers they've been talking about on the PowerMac thread (one was hooked to a 7100 PM and the other was run by a IIcx -- Jeebus).

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 01:42 AM

Hollywood is raping my childhood!!

/just kidding.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 08:14 AM

Went to the 20m screening last night. From what I saw, this movie can kick so much ass. I was worried it would be more about the "gaming" side, and not enough about the characters, but it seems like they're not focusing TOO much on the gaming. Oh, and Qorra? Olivia Wilde does a great job with that character.

I won't give anything away, but I was very impressed.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2010, 05:40 PM

Were they giving out the trading cards/posters at your location?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

I got a poster, and they just gave our ads for the movie and the soundtrack.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2010, 08:52 AM

I loved TRON as a kid, but this isn't doing it for me either.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 4, 2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Went to the 20m screening last night. From what I saw, this movie can kick so much ass. I was worried it would be more about the "gaming" side, and not enough about the characters, but it seems like they're not focusing TOO much on the gaming. Oh, and Qorra? Olivia Wilde does a great job with that character.

I won't give anything away, but I was very impressed.
You had me at Olivia Wilde.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Son of Tron?

I too saw the first in the theater, and this trailor didn't appear to be anything other than a very a blandly slick-looking sequel to a groundbreaking, unique movie.

Hopefully it will be more than that, and I'm still intrigued. But what I really want to do is watch the the first again.
Agree with Paul. I'm fearful it's going to suck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2010, 04:53 PM

I watched the original for the first time a few months ago. I'm not saying it was bad, but I don't see Legacy being more boring.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2010, 05:44 PM

It's a terrible movie. It really is. A terrible movie with incredible art direction.

I still love it, but it's not good.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2010, 03:41 PM

I saw this last night in IMAX 3D.

Wow! The story was a bit thin in parts, and they left in some hints at a sequel (pay close attention to the cameo in the first 5 minutes), but I felt that overall, it was great. It had the spectacle and SFX gangbang I expected, but it also had a neat plot.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2010, 08:40 PM

I sold my old Tron DVD for $65 bucks today. That is all. If you've got one hanging around, strike while the iron is hot.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2010, 01:07 AM

:O

Dang.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2010, 01:38 AM

Saw it. Loved it. Screw the reviewers. Every single one of them DID NOT GET IT. You can tell from their review that most of the plot went over their heads because if they had a BIT (pun intended) of geekiness in them, they'd understand what the movie was about.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2010, 07:47 PM

Saw it last night. Sure, the storyline is a bit bland, the dialogue isn't the best, but I just couldn't stop smiling while I was watching. It's just a fun movie without being some useless comedy. The action is pretty cool, and, of course, the Daft Punk soundtrack is incredible. There are a few sequences where it feels as if the movie was built around the soundtrack, which could be true seeing as Daft Punk started recording the soundtrack before there was a script. This is also the first 3D movie that I felt that 3D was used as an element of the film, not just a cinematic hook. Overall, I came in not really expecting much, and I left happy. That being said, it's not a film I'd care to watch again without 3D.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2010, 01:54 AM

Saw it. Lots of fun. Pacing was kinda weird; even during action scenes it felt slow. But it was fantastic visually, like going to see a Dark Side of the Moon laser show at the local planetarium. Bridges as "Obi-Wan Lebowski" was great. "You're really messing with my Zen-thing, man!!" Heh heh heh heh.

And the closing bit, where "God apologizes to Satan for making him a flawed being" was really outside the box.

finboy
Dec 28, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Saw it. Lots of fun. Pacing was kinda weird; even during action scenes it felt slow. But it was fantastic visually, like going to see a Dark Side of the Moon laser show at the local planetarium. Bridges as "Obi-Wan Lebowski" was great. "You're really messing with my Zen-thing, man!!" Heh heh heh heh.

And the closing bit, where "God apologizes to Satan for making him a flawed being" was really outside the box.
I wish the 3D didn't induce headaches! I thought the visuals were terrific, the plot had trouble but so what?

Actually, I watched the original the other night and I like the animation better there. Must be a nostalgia thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules