Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sexual Harassment at Office Depot? You Tell Me, Please

Sexual Harassment at Office Depot? You Tell Me, Please
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 05:37 PM

I was at Office Depot today to pick up some copywork that they'd completed for me.

I frequent the local Office Depots, several of them, and usually enjoy shopping at their stores.

Today an odd thing happened. I will share it with all of you and I invite everyone to comment.

While I was at the local store picking up my order (a usual occurrence), a young man approached me and said, "Do you need a printer?" I was a bit confused and I said, "Excuse me?" He repeated himself a bit more clearly (he is from another country) and asked me if I needed a printer. It was/is the 1200DTN by HP. I said, "I'm not sure. Not really. Why, are you recommending one?" He said, "Come over here and I will show you." He leads me off to the printer section and points out the 1200DTN and it has a price tag of $299 on the store sticker on the shelf. He says, "Today, for you, it is $59. We have one left." He shows me the box (sealed) on the floor. I looked at it and said, "Gosh, that's a great deal, yes, I think I will buy it. Let me call my husband." I took a picture of the box on the floor with my camera phone and called my husband. He said, "Sure, buy it. We can give it to the school if we can't use it." I got off the phone and said, "Yes, we definitely want it. Thank you."

At this point he said, "What do you do?" As in, "What job do you have?" I told him, "I work from a home office, basically." He then said, "Well, I think you are very beautiful. You are very smart and very beautiful." I was very startled and to be honest, I'm not beautiful - promise everyone, I'm not. I said, "No, not beautiful! I have a baby at home and I'm not getting enough exercise and I need to lose some weight." He said, "No, trust me, you are PERFECT. You are very sexy." He touched my arm to emphasize his point. (By the way, he knows I have children because they've been with me when picking up orders previously.)

I laughed off his comment, thought it was a bit strange, then went back to collect my work. I was paying for the work and went over to where the printer was laying on the floor and asked the young man (the same one who tried to sell it to me) to help me put it in the shopping cart. He didn't even look at me and said, "I'm sorry, but you can't buy that anymore. He's buying it instead." He wouldn't even look at me. He pointed to another Office Depot employee and smacked a green "Sold" sticker on the box right in front of me. He then said, "Maybe another Office Depot store has one for you." I then said, "Well, will you check for me?" His first response was, "No, none of them have it. That was the only one." I said, "Please double check then?" He did, reluctantly, and there was one more unit, supposedly, about 15 miles away.

I got in my car and drove to the other store. They couldn't find that particular unit in their store either. I inadvertently mentioned that "I wish I could have just bought the one in the box at the [first] store," and the man helping me said, "There is another one at the other store? Why didn't you buy it?" I told him, "Because before I could he sold it to a fellow Office Depot worker." The salesman said, "That's not right. Customers come first. Let me get my manager." So, he got the manager, a woman, and I told her everything from beginning to end and she was visibly upset.

I then called my husband and he said, "I think you're a victim of sexual harassment. I'll bet anything if you'd been nicer to that [salesman who hit on me] that he'd have sold it to you." He was/is really angry.

In fact, he's on the way to the store right now to speak to the store manager about it and file a formal complaint. Regional manager called me (I know him and he's an exceptional employee and person) and he was/is also very upset.

So, now, does this constitute sexual harassment? Or what DOES it all mean?

I just know that now I'm freaked out and never want to go back there.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 05:45 PM

At the very least the salespuke's behavior was highly impropper, and almost definitely sexual harrassment. His toughing your arm went way across any lines of decent behavior, especially in conjunction with the things he was saying at the time. Was the salesman's origin the middle east? They have much different customs regarding women in lots of places. It may have been o.k. in his country, but here in the States that crap doesn't play.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 05:50 PM

Next time a sales person makes you a compliment and gives you a 70% rebate just say "thank you", grab the printer, load it to your SUV and drive away.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 05:51 PM

Well, first of all, he shouldn'tve touched you period. That's over any line.

Secondly, did his sexual remarks offend you? If they did, then yes, it's sexual harassment.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 05:53 PM

I think it is harassment and I'm sorry you went through it. That whole situation sounded wrong and for it to happen to you is a shame. I hope the regional and store manager take care of this guy by firing him.

I'd say not to let idiots like that deter you from shopping there again. But, if it really makes you uncomfortable, maybe the extra 15 miles to the other store is worth the drive. I hope your husband has good luck with the complaint.

Take care,
Angelo

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2006, 06:16 PM

It would be quite interesting if the printer is still there and was never sold to the other employee. I'd venture to say that it was all a ploy to see how far he could get with you and when you resisted...he had an exit strategy. Foolish. He needs to be disciplined, if that's the case. Cody, beauty has many strings attached to it. Good job on smoothly avoiding his not so subtle advances, you hot piece of arse You handled yourself well!
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Jan 21, 2006 at 07:38 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 06:19 PM

While I agree with the above, I wonder if openly flirting with a customer is necessarily criminal sexual harassment, maybe just a case of really improper behavior. Not the kind of thing he should get away with, but I doubt he should go to jail for it.

But I suppose in the end it's a cross that beautiful people such as yourself will have to continue to bear. If only you beautiful people knew of the power you wield over us....sigh...

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
and asked the young man (the same one who tried to sell it to me) to help me put it in the shopping cart. He didn't even look at me and said, "I'm sorry, but you can't buy that anymore. He's buying it instead." He wouldn't even look at me.
It's not sexual harassment. He's not looking at you because he's embarrassed that he offered it to you and then found out a fellow employee wanted it and he felt he had to submit to the employee's wish.

That makes as much, and IMO more sense then the sexual harrassment idea.

The kid may have been all kinds of stupid, but I'd be real careful about possibly seriously f*cking up someone's life over it with the presumption that it was sexual harrassment. I think hubby best be cautious.

In the end, if touching someone on the arm while giving a compliment is grounds for all this nonsense, I give up.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 06:25 PM

SH aside, does Office Depot et al really run itself like an Arab market? That's weird and creepy..

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 06:35 PM

This thread is useless without pics.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 06:55 PM

Yes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 07:02 PM

someone's life is full of drama

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 07:06 PM

I hate to stumble into a Cody Blawg without a fair warning...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 07:07 PM

I just know that now I'm freaked out and never want to go back there.
Oh, and to add some quality to this thread:

[cubeoid]

Cody AWESOME

[/cubeoid]

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 07:07 PM

touches

doesnt really need pics, fairly self explanatory

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2006, 07:22 PM

Yes, that's sexual harassment, and even if Office Depot doesn't see it that way (which it appears that they do), it's ground for civil, or even criminal in some places, charges.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2006, 07:24 PM

Thats some mighty fine pictures ya got there.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 08:14 PM

the only thing left to do is sue for zillions.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 08:33 PM

He's not looking at you because he's embarrassed that he offered it to you and then found out a fellow employee wanted it and he felt he had to submit to the employee's wish.
Here's the problem with that:

There was NO sticker on the box when I photographed it with the camera phone to show to my husband.

There was when I went to buy it.

It was never "sold" to the employee until later.

Next, when the regional manager called me back he said that they should have sold it to me because the customer comes first before the employees.

Now, something else? He didn't even say, "I feel badly because apparently [the other employee] was planning to buy it before I sold it to you." If he'd said something like that I'd probably have acquiesced and said, "Oh, okay. Let him have it." I'd have gone on my way with my life. I never would have gone to the second and third Office Depot stores that he told me to go, the story would never have been retold to another store's manager who, in turn, wouldn't have called the regional manager.

Anyway, I feel really bad about the entire thing. I know it sounds sick, but I think that the kid that made the comments is just ignorant. I honestly think that he doesn't know any better. He's the kind of person that probably values his job there and is going to have a hard time if he gets fired. I think he's from Haiti, not the Middle East, by the way.

Anyway, I took a nap because I feel sick to my stomach over the entire thing.

Thanks for the comments, though. I guess if he gets fired he deserves it, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2006, 08:38 PM

Nah - if you've got a connection with the manager or the DM and want to deal with this creep, have said DM come down like the wrath of the Deity on the floor drone.

He doesn't just deserve it - hell, if someone at my local hangout (where I know the DM and all their policies) did anything like that they'd be reduced to a quivering wreak by the Wrath of the District Manager!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 08:41 PM

for some reason this reminds of that seinfeld episode where george gets the busboy fired

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 08:44 PM

lala
we don't have time to stop for gas

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 08:49 PM

Ah the usual suspects show up.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 08:55 PM

(he is from another country)

"No, trust me, you are PERFECT. You are very sexy." He touched my arm to emphasize his point.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 09:08 PM

To tell a customer that they are sexy, and touch them, is sexual harrassment, period. It may not be a criminal offense, but it is sexual harrassment, and is entirely uncalled for. At the very least, this employee needs to be talked to about how he is to address customers, whether they are regulars or not. Also, having worked in retail for years, I wonder how an employee can make an offer to a customer to severely discount a product and then retract that offer? Was it on sale? If it was, he couldn't stop you from buying it, especially given that an employee was supposedly suddently interested in it. If it wasn't on sale, how could he offer it to you at a reduced price? From the sounds of your story, he most certainly wasn't the store manager or a sales manager, so how does a floor employee get the power to discount product, supposedly just because he thinks a customer is sexy! The more I think about this, the more I wonder. Hmmmmmmmm. BTW, iWrite, you're slipping up a little lately, by starting to throw little asides into your stories (like knowing the regional manager, and other "important" people you've been mentioning lately).
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Well, first of all, he shouldn'tve touched you period. That's over any line.

Secondly, did his sexual remarks offend you? If they did, then yes, it's sexual harassment.
I hate that line, did his sexual remarks offend you. Some people can be easily offended while others aren't. Sexual harassment is something that is highly over used. In this case I would consider it border line. But to many times woman use sexual harassment on co-workers with out it really being sexual harassment.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
I hate that line, did his sexual remarks offend you. Some people can be easily offended while others aren't. Sexual harassment is something that is highly over used. In this case I would consider it border line. But to many times woman use sexual harassment on co-workers with out it really being sexual harassment.
When an employee touches a customer, and tells them he thinks they're sexy, that is not border-line; that is sexual harassment. People have right to shop without being touched and have inappropriate remarks made to them.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 09:28 PM

Hi Cody,

Very sorry to hear about that encounter. You are being to modest, you are a very nice looking young lady, my friend. I treasure our friendship.

Since it sounds like English is his second language, it makes it more difficult to be sure. I would have been speechless also. Just wonder what he actually meant by his comment and gesture. I think that he should be given the opportunity to explain himself. Sexual harassment is a serious charge.

Hope that you got my phone message, really need to talk. Sunday after 3pm would also be good.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 09:33 PM

I think I might have sexually harassed cody on AIM once.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I think I might have sexually harassed cody on AIM once.
Kevin AWESOME

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 09:37 PM

WD, I think this is a good time to cut out all that "Hi there cody ".
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jan 21, 2006 at 11:37 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 09:41 PM

Maybe my problem is that I keep all my feelings about cody to myself.

And wdlove is welcome to call me if cody's unable to talk. I can be a good listener!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Maybe my problem is that I keep all my feelings about cody to myself.
Start a blog ?

Uhm, no, wait. Just start a thread here...

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Start a blog ?

Uhm, no, wait. Just start a thread here...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 09:46 PM

Kevin AWESOME

*SCNR*

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 09:48 PM

Well, you posted a picture, or linked a picture once and I recall you being pretty hot. I also have a printer I'd sell you if you'd be nice to me too... If not, then NO DEAL!

Just kidding about the printer thing.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 09:51 PM

Yes Cody is attractive. But that doesn't mean you can touch her HUMPS HUMPS.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2006, 09:52 PM

Can I touch her HUMPSTER ?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 09:54 PM

I would never!

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 09:56 PM

I was referring to the guy in her post that was touching her.

I wouldn't never go so far as say "never" but "never without her permission"

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 10:01 PM

I was referring to the guy in her post that was touching her.

I wouldn't never go so far as say "never" but "never without her permission"
True! I would never touch her lumps without her permission.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 10:44 PM

Hi All:

The guy was obviously a novice at sexual harassment. The corner of an Office Depot? And he thinks I'll give it up because he wants to firesale a printer to me? After a few cheap compliments?

Not very professional, no.

No, Kevin hasn't sexually harassed me. When acquaintances and friends and family make those types of overtures they're not interpreted the same way.

A stranger in an Office Depot, an employee, telling me that I'm sexy and making eyes at me? Yeah, that was creepy even if he meant it innocently.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Since it sounds like English is his second language, it makes it more difficult to be sure. I would have been speechless also. Just wonder what he actually meant by his comment and gesture. I think that he should be given the opportunity to explain himself. Sexual harassment is a serious charge.

Quoted for emphysema. Whatever the law is about sexual harrassment, I'm sure there's something in it which allows for interpretation and intention. If I'm wrong and there's not, welcome to North Korea.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:34 PM

Cody,

I think that employee's behavior was odd, as you describe it, and probably inappropriate. You had a right to complain.

However, as has been said, be very careful to accuse someone of something that could get them fired or much worse. We've become so technical a society, and we are too quick to put nefarious labels on otherwise relatively harmless or even innocent things.

We may look down upon others and think that their customs are sexist and inappropriate-- but yet how often don't we practice this type of behavior ourselves, in one form or another, without realizing it?

It's this unhealthy obsession with labeling things that make things into more than what they really are. I do believe that a business has a right to fire an individual who is behaving inappropriately towards customers. But, I don't believe anyone should be criminally charged for merely expressing him or herself, even if it is inappropriate.

Unless it is slander, and then only the serious kind, inappropriately expressing an opinion (or expressing an inappropriate opinion) is merely that. There is no need to attach some more nefarious label to it.

Sexuality is part of our nature and society. It is all around us. It is part of what we are, part of our identities. I don't believe that inappropriate sexual remarks should be singled out from any other inappropriate remarks. What of a look, a smile, a wink, or even a pause? Should that be considered criminal? If so, and if enforced then perhaps all of humanity would be serving time for this.

The fact that he touched you may or may not be offending, depending on your perception and sensitivities. And the whole printer situation seems weird at best. But, if those are the things that upset you, then complain about those, but I am of the opinion that you shouldn't accuse this guy of sexual harassment unless something more happened that you are not telling us.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 12:06 AM

I found his behavior offensive and upsetting.

Personally, I'm not so sure that the guy isn't a rapist. And I mean that in all seriousness - 100%.

Someone who would approach a woman whom they know has CHILDREN (quoted for plurality and emphasis) and tell me that I am "sexy" and "beautiful" and touch me for emphasis, leaving his hand on my arm a little too long, is WEIRD.

You can say whatever you want. Call it whatever you want. But he did something wrong and Office Depot knows it. I never used the words "sexual harassment" when I spoke to management.

But they know what it is and what it isn't.

What they also know is that this guy was way out line, period.

All you guys reading this, including Kevin, think about how any of you would feel if your girlfriend or wife had has this happen to her?

I doubt they'd have found it very pleasant either.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 12:09 AM

"What's wrong with being sexy?" - Nigel Tufnel

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 12:14 AM

I understand why you're upset, Cody. It can be pretty unsettling when a stranger takes interest in you, and when there are kids involved. There isn't any excuse for what this guy did, it's creepy and it's over the line.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 12:21 AM

Thanks, Kerrigan.

I don't think I'm going back there. If I do I'll be calling to see if this guy is there first. Don't want to run into him - or let him see what car I drive, or the license plate, or God forbid, have him follow me anywhere.

It's pretty sad that I have to live like this because some man couldn't keep his thoughts to himself. YES, it might have been innocent...but it might not have been. I've never had a conversation with the guy before today so what am I supposed to think?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 12:29 AM

A couple of years ago, this random guy who was a bit older than me at the time (21 or so) would park near our house during the day while no one was home, and then he would drive off when one of us came home.

Our neighbours told us that he was parking outside and sitting in his car for hours each day. A few people tried to talk to him but he would just give them a bad look and drive off.

My parents confronted him, and it just made the situation worse. He started parking outside during the evenings and watching us and my little sister. So we rallied a bunch of local bigwigs (local attorneys, police, etc) and went to the guy's parents. After confronting them, they convinced him to stop his creepy behavior and we never saw him again.

It was a pretty strange, creepy affair. What made it worse was that we suspected he had an interest in my grade-school sister. Very unpleasant.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 12:42 AM

I found his behavior offensive and upsetting.

Personally, I'm not so sure that the guy isn't a rapist. And I mean that in all seriousness - 100%.

Someone who would approach a woman whom they know has CHILDREN (quoted for plurality and emphasis) and tell me that I am "sexy" and "beautiful" and touch me for emphasis, leaving his hand on my arm a little too long, is WEIRD.
I find that some people flirt without any intention to go further. However, it was out of line from what you describe. And maybe the guy was creepy. I understand you not wanting to see this guy again, and if you truly believe that he was acting inappropriately (looks like he was) then it was right of you to complain. However, that doesn't mean he is a rapist.

All you guys reading this, including Kevin, think about how any of you would feel if your girlfriend or wife had has this happen to her?

I doubt they'd have found it very pleasant either.

You're right, Cody. Please don't take my posts the wrong way.-- Seems like this guy was out of line and I'm sorry he creeped you out. I'm just pointing out that one has to be careful with a serious accusation. A false accusation can wreak havoc on an individual's life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules