Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will be first time getting a Mac so I have some questions

Will be first time getting a Mac so I have some questions
maggknot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 11:54 AM

Hey there,

I don't know jack about the OS X but I'm thinking about getting a Macbook because of it's price and sleek design. I'm holding back right now beacause of its overheat issue that haven't been solved and I'm also waiting for Merom. While waiting, I would like to clear up some questions before I buy it so please help a new fellow out.

1. Does the macbook comes with a OS X cd?
2. How hard is it to use the OS X? I have used Windows all my life.
3. How is the OS X compare to Windows?
4. Is Microsoft Office going to be any different than Windows? If so, how?
5. If I saved a file (let says MSO Excel and Word) can I open it by using Windows XP or it has to be in OS X? I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
6. How is the perforamce compare to the Dell D620? That was the original laptop I was planning on getting until I read the review on the Macbook.
7. Does anyone know when are they going to fix the overheat issue?
8. Why are people still buying the Macbook if that issue still exist?

I'll ask more questions once I get home from work. Thanks guys

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hey Mikez, I was in the same boat as you. I've been a PC user all my life (still am, my main machine is a home-built one), but I decided to take the plunge and get a macbook.

-Yes, it comes with an OS X CD, as well as the whole iLife (iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie or something)

- OS X is relatively simple to pick up. It's much simpler and intuitive than windows;
however it may take a couple days to get used to the feel of it.

I personally like OS X; it's growing on me. Things are simple and straightforward, and a much lesser chance of getting any sort of spyware/virus. Additionally, no more configuration of drivers for additional equipment, just plug it in and go. However, I have several programs that i need to run in Win XP; with these lovely new intel macs, just slap XP on a separate partition with bootcamp and go.

No, not really.

5. If I saved a file (let says MSO Excel and Word) can I open it by using Windows XP or it has to be in OS X? I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

It doesn't matter what operating system you're in. A file that's *.doc or *.xls just needs to be opened by a program that opens that file.

6. How is the perforamce compare to the Dell D620? That was the original laptop I was planning on getting until I read the review on the Macbook.

Not sure, as I've never played with the Dell 620. The specs look comparable though.

Yes, the macbooks get hot. So do a lot of other laptops; the thing with apple is they designed the macbook for silence; thus, the fans don't kick in very often. I haven't had any crashing / lockup issues with mine yet, but I don't recommend using it on your lap

-It's not really an issue. Laptops get hot.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 01:24 PM

mikez, if you want a laptop now and want to switch from windows buy a macbook now. If you want to wait until a processor upgrade when it happens you will begin to think: well probably there will be an upgrade again in 6 months with a much powerfull processor, and you will never be satisfied. And most of all you need to know your needs in a laptop.
My ibook fits my needs although it's very slow comparing to a macbook, but for surfing internet, e-mail, word processing and some photo editing its fine.
If you are concerned about "the overheat issue" you can wait a little to see what happens, but maybe the next upgrade might have the same "issues". But i read here that some users didn't found theirs macbooks hot, so you can get luck.
If i had the money now and needed the macbook i would buy it now. I think the Macbooks are great!
regarding OS X, i agree with wolverinewizard. "- OS X is relatively simple to pick up. It's much simpler and intuitive than windows; however it may take a couple days to get used to the feel of it." After a week i was already used to it and i don't look back to windows.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikez
Hey there,
Yes

Very easy the interface is similar, thanks to MS copying the Mac

Its better, superior memory management, easier to install uninstall applications (drag and drop for the majority), no registry to corrupt. No viruses, or spyware

It has a different look and feel but the overall use of the applications are the same

Yes, there is a seemless intergration

Don't know, I don't own one

Nope, so far apple has stated that the 50c - 70c temperature range is normal and the cpu is rated at 100c. In defense of apple other laptops run this hot too. In defense of common sense. The laptop is too hot and I hope they do address is. I suspect it will be corrected via a firmware update that will dictate when the fans turn on and off.

Because its not a major issue (and maybe not widespread), and my Macbook is a great.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 02:04 PM

I am a first timer too with a MB. I've always used Windows and that's what I'm used to. But I'm getting around on the Mac, though so far I can do things much quicker on Windows. I'm sure in time, I'll do them as well on a Mac. Some things seem much simpler on Windows though. Then again, it's probably because I'm used to it.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 02:09 PM

Some additions to the answers already given.

1. Yes, but only to restore the system on your machine. It will not install on other Macs.

4. It is the same, but I have had some issues were images created on a Mac would not show up in PC's (QT decompressor needed).
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 09:14 PM

By using Spotlight, you can navigate the operating system incredibly fast. For example, just hit the apple key and spacebar and then type in what you want to find and click on it. That makes it so you don't need to navigate anywhere at all really.

It takes a little while to pick up certain things in the OS but I have found it to work much better overall and the MacBook runs incredibly fast IMO.
27" iMac C2D

maggknot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciated. Well, I know I have more questions but I couldn't think of them right now except for if I order it through Amazon.com, do I still get the free nano and printer? Thanks

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciated. Well, I know I have more questions but I couldn't think of them right now except for if I order it through Amazon.com, do I still get the free nano and printer? Thanks
More than likely you will need to order it through Apple's online store to get the Nano free because you have log onto their websight as a student since this offer is only available to students.
Just to reiterate about the heat on the Apple computers, they have always gotten quite warm deom heavy use which is normal for a notebook computer. So far I have been to several electronics stores and I have seen plenty of Windows notebooks that excude quite a bit of heat so this is not an issue. Don't think that the Merom chip is going to run ice cold so waiting for it makes no sense as it will run very warm as well. If you take a look at most new high performance desktop computers today they are mostly liquid cooled which is necessary to keep them from overheating especially the dual cores. I.C. chips for computers will get more efficient over time but will always run hot as the norm.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
More than likely you will need to order it through Apple's online store to get the Nano free because you have log onto their websight as a student since this offer is only available to students.
Just to reiterate about the heat on the Apple computers, they have always gotten quite warm deom heavy use which is normal for a notebook computer. So far I have been to several electronics stores and I have seen plenty of Windows notebooks that excude quite a bit of heat so this is not an issue. Don't think that the Merom chip is going to run ice cold so waiting for it makes no sense as it will run very warm as well. If you take a look at most new high performance desktop computers today they are mostly liquid cooled which is necessary to keep them from overheating especially the dual cores. I.C. chips for computers will get more efficient over time but will always run hot as the norm.
I agree.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 10:47 AM

Heavy - I'd really be interested to hear what things you can do in Windows much quicker than on the Mac ? I personally find that I'm much, much more productive on the Mac, and have a great time whilst doing it. In fact, when I have to use Windows, it really feels like I have one hand tied behind my back, and it usually ends in a lot of swearing and/or tears !

Mikez - one of the great un-sung benefits of the Mac is the great selection of shareware that's available - not necessarily quantity, but in quality. Because of the great developer tools and the consistent interface, Mac share tends on average to be much much nicer than PC equivalents.

As for the 'overheat' issue - what overheat issue ? The laptops get a bit hot...but not so bad that it's a problem, and it's certainly not overheating (which would cause the computer to shut down). I've had a MacBook since they became available, and it's probably the best Mac I've had to date - and I've had a few !

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 02:23 PM

I personally use windows if I ever need to play World of Warcraft in a pinch. The drivers for the GMA 950 are better in Windows (don't ask me why ) but there's a definite increase in performance when playing 3-D intensive games.

However, despite putting both operating systems on, I find myself booting into OS X more and more

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Heavy - I'd really be interested to hear what things you can do in Windows much quicker than on the Mac ? I personally find that I'm much, much more productive on the Mac, and have a great time whilst doing it. In fact, when I have to use Windows, it really feels like I have one hand tied behind my back, and it usually ends in a lot of swearing and/or tears !
He answered that question in his actual post - he says because he does not know his way fully around a Mac yet, that he is quicker doing stuff on Windows - just like I was when I first made the switch. He also said they he expects to soon be able to do everything on a Mac as quickly as he can in Windows, as he becomes more and more used to the interface OS X offers.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 03:22 PM

Greenamp's "Getting used to OS X" switcher guide, in Windows language:

1) The menu at the top left acts in much the same way as it does in Windows when you have a program open, except that it is detached from the program window in OS X. This is so that you can close a window without having to close the program, and not have it minimized. Going to [application name] > preferences is where you modify things about how the program works, similar to tools>options in Windows.

3) There are three basic ways of navigating to your files. You can click the finder icon on your dock (the 1st one by default; the faces), double click the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop, or search for the file directly in Spotlight (the little magnifying glass top right).

4) Your programs are stored in the folder named "Applications." This is similar to "Program Files" in Windows.

5) Installing and uninstalling programs in OS X is much simpler than it is in Windows. A typical installing from a download would go like this: a) download the file, it will appear as a .dmg nearly always after unzipping (if it's zipped). b) double click the .dmg file, and it mounts a little white drive looking thing which contains the install file. c) In most situations, installing the file is simply a matter of dragging the application icon from the white mount, to your applications folder. Other times the application will have an instal file for double clicking.
To uninstall most programs, you simply drag it from your applications folder to your trash can.
(for more detail check here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=250090 )

6) The dock is just a place for organizing your most used applications (programs). It's merely where you put your icon links. To take an icon off, just drag it off. To put one on, just drag it on.

7) System Preferences is like the control panel in Windows. This is where you access things like network options, firewall settings, display settings, mouse configuration, etc.

8) The Home folder in your finder window (little house with your user name) is where files and applications are stored which are specific to the logged in user. The main disc ( Macintosh HD ) folder stores things universal to all users. In a one user setting these files are typically redundant. Do not rename your home folder unless you know what you're doing.

9) On the MacBook, to make Garageband not open on system start up, click on your desktop to bring up the finder menu at the top left. Click on the Apple, and go to system preferences. Once there click on "Accounts" and then your account name, and go to "login items," and change the settings.

10) Now that you have a Dock, you will become anal about keeping your desktop area clean. This is a normal side effect and should not worry you.

maggknot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 09:34 PM

Ok, I just went to Fry's after work to check out the Macbook and they only have the black version for display. It's nice and sleek but it's pretty damn hot compare to other ibooks or Macbook Pro. I learn that most people on the internet are freaking overexaggerating about this damn heat issue. It's hot but it doesn't get to the point that it will burn your damn finger (cry baby). My conclusion is that I'll wait till they fix this heat issue then I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Edit: Can you change the sensitivity on the macbook mouse? Because I thought it was kind of slow or lag.
( Last edited by mikez; Jun 10, 2006 at 09:48 PM. )

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 10:07 PM

Ok, I just went to Fry's after work to check out the Macbook and they only have the black version for display. It's nice and sleek but it's pretty damn hot compare to other ibooks or Macbook Pro. I learn that most people on the internet are freaking overexaggerating about this damn heat issue. It's hot but it doesn't get to the point that it will burn your damn finger (cry baby). My conclusion is that I'll wait till they fix this heat issue then I'll jump on the bandwagon.

You'll be waiting until it's time to sleep with the angels. As I mentioned earlier the heat is NOT an issue. I have only used the PowerBooks since the early Titanium days and I had a 500Mhz iBook. Every Mac I have used including my current G5 desktop and 17" PB G4 have heat up quite a bit from either gaming or surfing internet sights that have heavy graphic detail and it's not just the Apple notebooks. Next time you are at Fry's check out many of the PC notebooks and desktops as they get hot too!
The only reason this heat thing is being talked about a lot with the MacBooks and the MacBook Pro's is for only 2 reasons.

(1) Aside from very minor things these notebooks have a lot going for them and Apple has addressed the main issue with their notebooks and that's speed! So there's not much to talk about that's "major". So whomever, please don't come back at me about the whining since that's not really "major".

(2) Ever since Apple announced they were switching to Intel, Apple's faithful customers and pending switchers got excited because we all found out that Apple's first computers would be using dual core processors and without getting the facts about Intels chips EVERYBODY (including myself) expected not only new and more efficient running computers (which they are) but we all expected "cool to the touch" notebooks (which they aren't).
This is not an issue created by Apple, these are semi conductor chips and the reality of it is they create a lot of heat no matter how fast, slow or efficient they run.
You will never buy a new computer if you keep wating for Apple to fix this so called heat issue as it's been talked about for many generations of Apple's computers.
Lastly, we don't live in a world of the Jetsons (which is not only a perfect world but is still far ahead of todays modern electronics) we live in a reality where humans create planned obsolescence so buy what you want Now! If this crap was a real issue Apple wouldn't sell any of it.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

maggknot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:16 PM

I don't know if it was a bad macbook but it was certainly WAY hotter than all the laptops I have experienced up there (total was 4) which includes the MacBook Pro but I'll go up there tomorrow after work to test it out again. The heat was generated from the upper left side corner. I don't know what I'll get if they don't fix this.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 12:26 AM

I don't know if it was a bad macbook but it was certainly WAY hotter than all the laptops I have experienced up there (total was 4) which includes the MacBook Pro but I'll go up there tomorrow after work to test it out again. The heat was generated from the upper left side corner. I don't know what I'll get if they don't fix this.
As far as that MacBook you looked at it could be suffering from the plastic insert that Apple posted about on their webpage. They mentioned that the some MacBooks shipped out of the factory with a piece of plastic thats blocking the air vents on the back causing the MacBook to get very hot for no apparent reason. The plastic is suppose to protect the vents from acquiring dust while shipping so Apple mentions to new owners to check it and if it's there then to remove it. If you are going back to look at check it out and let us know.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

maggknot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
As far as that MacBook you looked at it could be suffering from the plastic insert that Apple posted about on their webpage. They mentioned that the some MacBooks shipped out of the factory with a piece of plastic thats blocking the air vents on the back causing the MacBook to get very hot for no apparent reason. The plastic is suppose to protect the vents from acquiring dust while shipping so Apple mentions to new owners to check it and if it's there then to remove it. If you are going back to look at check it out and let us know.

I have also checked that to see if it was the case but I don't know whether it is or not because when I looked through it, I THINK I see like a net texture behind the venting. Can anyone confirm that it's the plastic part or it been remove? I'll have to check it out again tomorrow.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 01:05 AM

The plastic thing would just be a thin clear plastic sheet covering the vent. That netting you see is perfectly normal. If the MacBook is hotter than the MacBook Pro on display, there's a good chance that there's something wrong with it. All the MBs I've played with so far (still don't own one) have been considerably cooler than their Pro counterparts. Hell, a few have even been cooler than my iBook.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

maggknot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 08:31 PM

Well, I went back to Fry's to check them out again and it's certainly hotter than the other ten laptops I checked. All the other laptops barely gets warm, the hottest one was about 1/5 or less of the macbook.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 11:20 PM

There must be some type of problem, but my macbook is fine. I doesn't get too hot at all. I'd say its comparable to the heat of my ibook, but with the more powerful processor, it doesn't get hot very often at all, since its not being taxed nearly as hard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules