Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I fixed my iBook screen, and YOU can too!

I fixed my iBook screen, and YOU can too!
Faceplant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 09:32 AM

For two years now I have had to manually put my iBook G3 to sleep, and the screen started flickering, and going out, and all the symptoms pointed to a bad Reed cable. So, I ordered one of them bad boys from Smalldog, gave the two little doggies to my little girl, pulled my 'puter apart, and a few hours later, my screen works. And, my 'puter now sleeps on its own! It is funny, really...There are 12 screws that do not have a home, and for the life of me, I cannot guess where they go. Some of the really thin foil stuff on the top part did not survive, and a few fiddley parts on the screen did not make it either. When you pull this bad boy apart, there is some really thin metal molding that goes around stuff, and once it's bent, hey, it's bent! You just have to cut it away and give it to the kids to play with. Anyway, I am as proud as a dad whose kid just beat up an honor student. I am as happy as an Amish guy who got laid. My 'puter works and all is right with the world, and now I can again enjoy my 600 mhz of sizzling raw manly speed on my iBook.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 09:35 AM

Congrats. I did that last year. It may of helped to follow the guides at iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts They have a screw guide and dissasembly manual, I had none left over.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
Congrats. I did that last year. It may of helped to follow the guides at iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts They have a screw guide and dissasembly manual, I had none left over.
I used that, i had 5 left over. And I was okay with that actually.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 10:54 AM

Question: why didn't you just take it in for the Extended iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program and have Apple fix it?

Faceplant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 11:02 AM

UUmmmm, Golly! I did not know that existed, but now i have a few lose screws i can sell on eBay. Now, how cool is that?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 11:04 AM

This is the screen cable, not the logic board and you get some pride in knowing you fixed it yourself

beazer4444
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 12:51 AM

Hey! My iBook G3 just died recently and everyone told me it was the logic board. But do you think it might be the... the thingamajig that we're talking about here?

Is there any way to test it out?

Hmm.. I hope so... although I'm a proud owner of a new MacBook now. Weehaw!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by beazer4444
Hey! My iBook G3 just died recently and everyone told me it was the logic board. But do you think it might be the... the thingamajig that we're talking about here?

Is there any way to test it out?

Hmm.. I hope so... although I'm a proud owner of a new MacBook now. Weehaw!
What exactly is wrong with your iBook?

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Question: why didn't you just take it in for the Extended iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program and have Apple fix it?
Had it is been the logicboard, Apple would not have covered it. They only cover the affected machines for three years from when it was purchased, and the 600Mhz iBooks are all older than three years.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Aug 29, 2006 at 08:41 AM. )

beazer4444
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I called Apple and the program to fix the logic-board has ended. Sad.

Anyways, My iBook started getting random horizontal lines across it's screen, and then it would flicker and then the screen would just die. The computer kept running though. If i left it alone for a while, I could re-boot, login and do stuff for about 3 minutes, and then it would start all over again.

What do you think, oh great one?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2006, 04:06 PM

Screen cable or logic board or a combo of both.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2006, 04:07 PM

I guess the screen cable is your first thing to do so that your backlight will stop going out.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 04:16 PM

You don't need to follow a guide to take it apart. A methodical approach, on a flat surface, with large traced outlines of your iBook that you stick the screws to as you remove them (whilst numbering them) will mean you know where the screws go and how to reassemble.

I replaced the top cover of my iBook a while back and had no screws left over. I have to redo the whole thing again to replace the inverter board and the top cover again (clumsy g/f) this weekend.

Wish me luck.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2006, 04:58 PM

How did your gf manage to break the inevrter board?

Forum Links
Forum Rules