Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bye bye iPod student discount

Bye bye iPod student discount
Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:21 PM

Apple has stopped giving student discount on iPods in the online education store; although the shuffle has never had a discount.

Slightly sucky, but I imagine other retailers might honour it (such as Amazon in the UK).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:31 PM

Do we really need another thread about this?

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:49 PM

Yes

[Where are these other threads?]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:51 PM

iPod forum and lounge under the new iPod threads. Someone made a thread very similar to this that was locked.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:35 PM

Still, the slightly refreshed 30g iPod is down to $20 less than it was with a student discount anyway, so I'm not fretting.

Plus the 80GB is a smashing deal at only $349, student discount or no.
Linkinus is king.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 07:56 PM

Yeah, they are still great deals. I am pretty impressed myself. Plus it is a little nice not having to use your iPod purchase for the year.

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 08:11 AM

Check to see if anyone in your family works for a company that has a deal with Apple. I work for a large Canadian bank and we have our own employee purchase program with Apple. I click through to a version of the Apple Online Store for bank employees and I get a discount on the iPods. I just ordered a 4 Gig 2nd Generation Nano for $211 (vs $229 Canadian Pricing) and an 80 Gig iPod for $367 (vs $399 Canadian Pricing.)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 10:55 AM

I think the other threads are in the Lounge.

Does everyone not see that the student discount and rebate were intended to move "old stock" of previous iPod models? Why offer a rebate for that much on a current product? Remember, Apple is out to make money, not to be nice to us.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter

Does everyone not see that the student discount and rebate were intended to move "old stock" of previous iPod models? Why offer a rebate for that much on a current product? Remember, Apple is out to make money, not to be nice to us.
I think you're missing the point. Until now, Apple has always offered a student discount on iPods, just as they do for computer hardware. We're not talking about a promotion or a rebate -- it was a discount in the Apple store for education, and yes, it was a way to be "nice" to students.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 12:16 PM

Yes, but Apple has always offered discounts to educators, now we don't get one on iPods.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 04:14 PM

Maybe it is less of a deal to US residents, but here in the UK the (higher) education discount was something like 20% - not an insignificant amount of money on certain models.

Having said that, the refurb stock (for previous gen) is very cheap; but it will be a while before current models show up.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2006, 09:42 AM

I have missed new iPod product releases in the past. Is everyone SURE Apple offered discounts when the products were first released? Maybe that's what's happening. And it looks like the prices for the new Nanos are closer to the student price than the non-student price for the earlier models...maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but that's the way it seems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 09:43 AM

I have missed new iPod product releases in the past. Is everyone SURE Apple offered discounts when the products were first released? Maybe that's what's happening. And it looks like the prices for the new Nanos are closer to the student price than the non-student price for the earlier models...maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but that's the way it seems.
Yep. I bought my mini the day it came out with education discount.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Yep. I bought my mini the day it came out with education discount.
same with me. I also bought a 4G the day it came out.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules