Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > VERY disappointed about MWSF

VERY disappointed about MWSF
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 04:33 PM

I was really really hoping to see some new spots of the new cat (maybe some in iPhone?).

R

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:37 PM

Same here.

Zip about Leopard, just some gadget that I can't afford and isn't available for nearly a year. Pretty friggin' cool gadget though....
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by siMac View Post
Same here.

Zip about Leopard, just some gadget that I can't afford and isn't available for nearly a year. Pretty friggin' cool gadget though....
As long as you use Cingular…

No mention of 10.5, iLife, iWork. On the heels of the Vista launch I expect something

Cool iPhone, ok AppleTV… worst MWSF since the 2001 release of iPhoto, IMHO.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

iPhone is definitely cool...but for everyone but Cingular users (US-only), it's a huge let down until, at the earliest, Q4.

But because most people won't be able to use the iPhone, the only other decent product announcement was Apple TV.

I can't believe Leopard wasn't shown either. This leads me to believe that Leopard is *far* from being finished.

Jobs prizes himself to show new features...and none were shown. There's definitely something wrong here.

I don't even think we should expect Leopard until June or July. Same for iWork and iLife.

All the rumor sites overhyped this ****in' thing. They're probably all wondering what the **** happened. John Siracussa and Gruber were both soooo wrong it's not even funny.

All the asses at Ars are probably staring at their blank bingo cards right now (ok...not blank but close.)

twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

Yep it was terrible, its not about computers anymore and still no movies or tv shows in the uk from the music store.

I dont think apple will be getting any of my hard earned bucks for quite a while if at all, although what they released today looks cool i expected to at least have a definate release date for 10.5 and to see some of the supposed top secret stuff.

One very dissapointed UK mac user.
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 05:16 PM

I was really hoping for iLife '07 and maybe some more leopard features, otherwise I'm happy with the iPhone being released.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

money69
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM

Anyone know where to view a video feed of the keynote online?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 05:25 PM

I was amazed! 1 and a half hours of waffle about a phone that we cant even buy for a year.. (In UK at least)

And not even a whiff of 10.5 talk??? Thats pretty bizarre in itself. No computery type stuff in it at all really.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 05:32 PM

Haha...

Even the broadcast is in the /iphone directory. Talk about iPhone-centric MWSF.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM

Today's keynote was less of a Macworld keynote as we know it and more of an Apple Special Event. I think traditional updates (updates to existing products) will happen from now on as mostly just press releases whenever they do want to unless something is updated significantly that it warrants its own special event (or a tack on to another Apple event).

I think with Intel driving the bus on the comp hardware side, spending Macworld time announcing speed bumps or minor changes to hardware is just not worthy of the time. Using Intel's latest CPUs are expected (no IBM or Motorola to hold up production). Intel also announces to everyone well ahead of time what they are working on, so the surprise factor is not really there. I think traditional comp hardware will get less attention unless it's a significant change from the existing (a change like a new hardware enclosure, a new CPU architecture, etc).

Regarding software, a lot of software updates happen with existing industry events. Pro apps stuff at NAB, developer stuff and OS update announcements at WWDC, etc. It's better for Apple to introduce updates and changes for its software at events where the audience is deeply connected with that software. That's what they've been doing for a while now and it's a great way to get year-round press on updates.

Macworld used to be a general purpose place for Apple to introduce stuff, but with all the other events Apple has going on that's no longer the case. Macworld has really become more of a consumerish expo for Apple and I feel today's announcements reflected that. Macworld garners a lot of attention and I think Apple was smart to use this attention to introduce something completely new and targeted to the consumer sector, even if it is not so much cared for by the existing hardcore Apple hardware and software fans. Macworld keynotes are no longer the sole centerpiece for Apple to talk to the press and I feel they handled that adaption nicely, even if they didn't talk about the things I cared about (like 10.5).
To be determined later.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 06:23 PM

I was on my way over to my computer, thinking that i'm gonna start a thread titled "VERY disappointed about MWSF", and what do I see when I get here? It already exists!

This keynote sucked balls! Not only they didn't come out with a HARD DRIVE BASED widescreen iPod, but they didn't release 8 core mac pro's, leopard details, or iLife 07.

Instead, they spent the whole time talking about a product that isn't being released until NEXT CENTURY!!

I want a hard drive based widescreen ipod!! What are they thinking with this "3 in one" thing??? Are they gonna at least leave the regular ipods as they are, so that they have SOME hard drive based players???

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Instead, they spent the whole time talking about a product that isn't being released until NEXT CENTURY!!
Did you bitch like this when they announced Tiger coming out in half a year?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I can't believe Leopard wasn't shown either. This leads me to believe that Leopard is *far* from being finished.
I don't think so at all. The important thing to remember is something which slipped under a lot of people's radar: Apple today changed its name from Apple Computers, Inc., to Apple, Inc. Today's keynote was all about that: Apple is expanding their market beyond computers and iPods, and, I think, is starting their own version of embrace and extend. The iPhone uses a mobile version of OS X. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up in more and more devices in the future as Apple becomes what Sony wanted to be, a one-stop digital shop, all integrated into the OS X umbrella.

I imagine Leopard will have its own Special Event on its release day. I think Steve's keeping it under wraps because he likes to do that stuff.

edit: IMO, Apple is doing what any company which wishes for long-term survival does. It's seeking out new areas in which to compete and sell. Microsoft is doing the same thing with not so good results. Microsoft has a problem as a company, in that it has only two profitable divisions, Office and Windows. Hence the XBox division, which is a (so far unsuccessful) attempt to branch out into another arena. Apple has a similar situation: it had one profitable area, computers. It branched out into another, the iPod, iTMS. And now I see a third and fourth, the iPhone and AppleTV. Who knows what's next?
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Jan 9, 2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: More thinking!)
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 07:50 PM

I think some people let themselves accept the hype. Its inevitable to disappointed after listening to the extraordinary amount of rumors circulating prior to the expo. The expo was no different that any other, except some people were expecting Apple to release earth shattering products that would change human kind.

Having said that, I need Leopard and I need it like Yesterday. It was interesting to note that not one bit of new information was released about Leopard...

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:53 PM

I, for one, am a very happy camper. I wish I could buy one of the iPhones before they receive FCC approval just to fiddle around with the UI. If there's any downside to the iPhone, it's that its not 3G but 2.5G (no UMTS/HSDPA). I hate the thought of having to regress back to EDGE.

I'm also happy with the new Apple TV unit. I'm looking for a way to streamline the UI to our plasma HDTV, and this is just the ticket. I may wait for others to catch the bugs before jumping on this one, though.

The iPod created a fantastic new market for Apple and I hope the iPhone does the same.

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Also its interesting that when Apple first released the iPod, people were very confused and gave harsh disapproval of Apple.

Once again some people are displaying the same characteristics of this iPhone focused expo. Im sure in a few years the proliferation of the iPhone will garner a very different retrospective take on this expo.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by xe0 View Post
I think some people let themselves accept the hype. Its inevitable to disappointed after listening to the extraordinary amount of rumors circulating prior to the expo. The expo was no different that any other, except some people were expecting Apple to release earth shattering products that would change human kind.
It's not even that. They were expecting very specific information, and they got equally cool but not at all similar information, so they were disappointed. The iPhone really is cool and really is a huge leap forward, even if they don't want one themselves (I don't plan to buy one). I don't think we could have expected a more kickass announcement, but it was just the wrong category of announcement.
Chuck
___

Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by xe0 View Post

Having said that, I need Leopard and I need it like Yesterday. It was interesting to note that not one bit of new information was released about Leopard...
Sorry… iLIfe apps and OS have been a staple of every MW keynote.

Core Information™

No iPhone announcement and disappointment would illustrate your points.

This is the equivalent to going for pizza and the parlor not bothering to make one but instead giving you the most fantastic beer ever. Entirely unforgettable and probably altering your view of beer for ever.

Yet, you still need a large pepperoni with pepporcinis.

Toby

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:35 PM

^^what he said
Linkinus is king.

rdf8585
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 09:39 PM

Absolutely dreadful. iPhone and AppleTV may be nice, but they're nothing I'd ever buy.

I was expecting - and/or wanting - the following -

- Specific release date set for 10.5, system reqs, and some more features shown
- 10.4.9 to be in software update later in the day
- Re-designed mighty mouse (tempted by current one but tons of reported issues w/ it)
- iwork w/ spreadsheet / ilife 07
- hardware boosts to mac line
- isight revision?
Mac Mini / 1.33 G4 / 1 GB RAM / 32 MB Radeon 9200 / 10.4.10

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 09:55 PM

I am super disappointed! Being from Canada, with no Movies, TV, on itunes, and not being able to use the iphone, this Macworld does nothing for me... Great, I can buy the AppleTV in Canada on their website, just not the content! Apple, quit shutting out Canada.
My Blog-pakos.me

JRobinson
Jan 9, 2007, 09:57 PM

There was a limited time for Steve Jobs' keynote, and the products he announced were top priority. However, the conference doesn't end until Friday, so there is time for Apple to announce new Macs and versions of OS X before it is over.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JRobinson View Post
There was a limited time for Steve Jobs' keynote, and the products he announced were top priority. However, the conference doesn't end until Friday, so there is time for Apple to announce new Macs and versions of OS X before it is over.
I don't see a Mac computer announcement with week. Maybe in a few weeks.
My Blog-pakos.me

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 10:15 PM

Yeah, it's not likely that new products will be announced just, like, at some booth somewhere. Apple's either going to hold a full-on event or they're going to just stick it on their Web site.
Chuck
___

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 10:55 PM

I don't see speed bumps for machines and updated graphics in an iSight as being major announcements like the one we witnessed today. This gadget is waaaaaay cool, but perhaps out of reach for many. Like the iPod, while not computer related, it can serve to grow the platform and give us all more of what we're wanting, software and cool peripherals.

I was shocked that the keynote only focused on two things, but those two things could be HUGE. This week, and for the rest of the month the focus will be on Vista coming out for general release at the end of the month. Jobs can do little to deflect that. However, with this announcement, he got time on the network news, cable news, CNBC, etc. In a couple months he could probably get better air time when features are locked in and a release date is announced.

chadseld
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

Steve did not talk about speed bumps and software updates, but that does not mean these things will not come. We may see a 'special event' for their release, but more likely we will just see a few press releases and some sort of demo / tutorial session at the apple stores.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

mchladek
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ryarber View Post
This week, and for the rest of the month the focus will be on Vista coming out for general release at the end of the month. Jobs can do little to deflect that. However, with this announcement, he got time on the network news, cable news, CNBC, etc. In a couple months he could probably get better air time when features are locked in and a release date is announced.
Exactly, spending two hours going over point release updates would not be that attention grabbing. The iPhone was a great attention grabber to distract from CES, and it was a covert push for OS X. Instead of trying to deflect attention from Vista, Apple is countering Windows Mobile and showing that OS X is an amazing, scalable operating system. I think the iPhone was great news for OS X in disguise.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
I am super disappointed! Being from Canada, with no Movies, TV, on itunes, and not being able to use the iphone, this Macworld does nothing for me... Great, I can buy the AppleTV in Canada on their website, just not the content! Apple, quit shutting out Canada.
The problem isn't the keynote. The problem is that you're expecting Apple to continue as it has been, which it can't.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:04 AM

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:12 AM

Now would be a fairly poor time to throw Leopard info out, from a marketing perspective. The last thing anyone wants is for know-nothing bloggers around the world comparing the RTM of Vista (which will be reaching consumers' hands in three weeks) to a pre-release of Leopard. Not to mention the fact that it would only steal the limelight from the iPhone, which everyone is talking about. Even my Windows-loving roommate was impressed with the iPhone (and pissed that he has Verizon). I'd expect news about Leopard some time around Vista's launch, probably a few days/weeks afterwards. That way, Vista will already seem like "old news" while Leopard is "new and exciting". But that's just my take on it.

Also, did anyone else notice a little something that Steve-O slipped in when he first showed the iPhone? He mentioned that it supports all the OS X niceties including Core Animation. Which means that the iPhone must be running Leopard.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
The problem isn't the keynote. The problem is that you're expecting Apple to continue as it has been, which it can't.
Exactly. I'm glad that we're not talking about speed bumped macs and new airport base stations and some OS core changes that none of us understand here. I'm glad we have something better to talk about at a consumer oriented show.

I'll bet we're hearing more about 10.5 very shortly.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 04:49 AM

OS core changes that "none of us understand here"? MacNN's a pretty sophisticated place, and while you may not like such details other people do. Apple essentially left the computers out of the equation, and unfortunately that implies to me that Leopard is not ready for prime time yet.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 10, 2007 at 05:15 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
OS core changes that "none of us understand here"? MacNN's a pretty sophisticated place, and while you may not like such details other people do. Apple essentially left the computers out of the equation, and unfortunately that implies to me that Leopard not ready for prime time yet.
You could have figured that out from the fact that it's still winter.

Anyway, it's obvious that the emphasis here was supposed to be on the iPhone. Throwing in pointless Leopard tidbits would have diluted both the iPhone focus and the coverage of Leopard. I would have liked to hear about new Macs and software, but I think it was the right call to do it this way.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 05:23 AM

Okay, I'll accept that, but if that's true, when is Leopard going to get the center stage?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 07:13 AM

When it's done.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 07:40 AM

It's a substantial break from precedent for SJ not to demo a new release of the OS at Macworld. Maybe Leopard will be a lower key affair.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 08:47 AM

Put me in the disappointed column. The iPhone could develop into a neat product, but I wanted to hear about iLife 07, Leopard, and new Macintosh computers, not 1.5 hours of talk on a device that won't be available where I live until 2008, and even then I might not buy.

Keda
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 08:59 AM

I think some of you are forgetting the fact that Apple is a business. With the iPhone and AppleTV, they are entering a new and highly competitive segment of the market. MacWorld was the perfect place to make this announcement, because of its size, high-profile, and long keynote. While Apple could have chosen to release these products at a media event, they would not have had the non-press audience (thus the cheers, etc).

Like any 'Mac guy,' I would have loved to have all the details of OSX divulged. However, outside of the Mac community, how interesting is this? Coming on the heels of Gate's CES Vista announcements, most press outlets would have simply compared any OSX news to the recent Vista preview. In fact, I think M$ was expecting this, which is why they hyped Vista on Sunday.

Most importantly, Apple is now in a better position to influence the media attention surrounding Leopard. Where ever they choose to present the finished OS to the public, I think it is safe to assume that it will receive exclusive attention in a high profile affair. My guess (based on the announced 3-week delivery time of Vista) is that Apple will do this in early March, w/a late-March (24th for old time's sake?) release. This will allow the initial hype of Vista to die down, and help Apple to maximize its press coverage. At this point, we will welcome comparisons of Vista to a completed 10.5.

nat
Jan 10, 2007, 11:40 AM

I want an iPod with that, no phone, no internet, just the iPod. I don't have a cell phone (yeah, I know...) and don't want one but an iPod with the huge screen and cool navigation... is this going to be a all or nothing deal I wonder?

gregarios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 12:39 PM

Jobs should have given THIS keynote at CES, and had a MACINTOSH keynote for MACworld. :-(
This isn't Appleworld after all...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by gregarios View Post
Jobs should have given THIS keynote at CES, and had a MACINTOSH keynote for MACworld. :-(
This isn't Appleworld after all...
The magazine "MacWorld" covers the iPod too.
Chuck
___

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:17 PM

Wouldn't be a Macworld Expo without a bunch of people whining.

Every MW no matter what is unveiled we see many threads about how disapointing it is or what is wrong with the newly unveiled device.

With that said it seems so many people just were so over hyped on this one. I saw threads over at apple discussions basically stating that leopard would be released. Everyone expected (not hoped) to see an 8 core macpro. many people hoped to see a 12" MacBook pro. Its like they're reading the rumor sites as actual news.

Am I disapointed no, I had hoped to see a new generation of ipods, the iphone is nice, though I do question why did they unveil it 6 months before its available and the price does seem a little steep. Hopefully it will be discounted like all other phones when you sign up with cingular.
Michael

2Four
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 01:24 PM

One more thing...NOT!
what the hell happened?

No leopard, no new macs or updated macs.
A phone?
Yes it was bloody cool, but not for everyone.
I don't use a phone, i don't even own one. Can't stand the things..might as well wear leash or a noose around your neck.
iTV...cool..for those that have an HD TV, not me I used all my $$ for a 24"imac, which plays HD just fine.
What is really wierd was, i could've sworn shortly after the beginning of the keynote, Steve mentioned he would talk about macs, but he never did. Was I dreaming?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I had hoped to see a new generation of ipods, the iphone is nice, though I do question why did they unveil it 6 months before its available and the price does seem a little steep. Hopefully it will be discounted like all other phones when you sign up with cingular.
I was wondering why the early announcement myself-- and then it occurred to me. Phone carrier contracts! I bet a significant amount of people with time remaining on their contracts are going to hold off upgrading and renewing their contracts in order to jump ship and switch to Cingular for the iPhone.

The price, on the other hand, steep as it is, I believe is the final discounted price after contract. Hopefully, I'm wrong!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 01:43 PM

Yeah, it's after contract. Still an awesome device.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:53 PM

I suppose but my contract is up and I'm month to month. I don't know if I want to wait 6 months plus my wife isn't all that happy with cingular and wants to jump ship to verizon.
Michael

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 01:59 PM

I was following the keynote by reading it at macrumors, and was watching the hours, and realising that they hadn't any more time for other surprises...
I was disappointed.
I don't care about the iPhone, cool device, but not for me.
I don't care about the macTV, cool device, but not for me.
I care about OS X, and new computer hardware

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by twdawson View Post
Yep it was terrible, its not about computers anymore and still no movies or tv shows in the uk from the music store.

I dont think apple will be getting any of my hard earned bucks for quite a while if at all, although what they released today looks cool i expected to at least have a definate release date for 10.5 and to see some of the supposed top secret stuff.

One very dissapointed UK mac user.
Have fun.

Dell.com
i hate project managers.

gregarios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The magazine "MacWorld" covers the iPod too.
Yes, but not ONLY the iPod. (-;

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
Have fun.

Dell.com
Constructive Reply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules