Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New to MAC's

New to MAC's
redhawk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 04:34 AM

I have made the "official" switch from PC to MAC and I'm still in the process of learning how to use it. One of my (MANY) questions deals with downloading pictures from the web. Since I peruse a lot of news sites and law enforcement pages, I find it useful to download articles, photographs, video's, etc... to assist me in school (criminal justice/fire technology). When using a PC, I can download things with no problem, but with the MAC, it a whole nother ball game. I gladly accept any assistance and you can e-mail me @: [email protected] with any assistance.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 04:40 AM

Well, first of all........

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 04:53 AM

....wait for it....

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 05:11 AM

It's a Mac, not a MAC. A MAC is a network address. (are you happy now iMOTOR and gradient )

What problems are you having when downloading stuff? What formats are these articles in, .pdf? To download a image (in Safari I assume) just right-click it and click "Save Image As...". Videos, depending on the format, are harder to download.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Dec 29, 2007 at 05:58 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007, 05:15 AM

Better yet, click on the image in question and drag it out of the browser window and onto the desktop....what could be easier? And you can rename it anything you want, even without the file extension ( such as .jpg). Oh, and if you are using a one button mouse or trackpad then you ctrl-click for the "save as" option, if you are going to go that route (but I would suggest buying a two button mouse).
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 05:21 AM

aaaaaahhhhahaha! I seriously LOL'd at the first two posts. Fine, I'll be the one to do it: It's not a MAC, it's a Mac. MAC, all caps, refers to a MAC address:MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . And while I'm at it, the it would be proper to say "videos," not "video's," since you're talking about a plural, not a possessive. And its better to have replies issued here, and not via email, that way other people with the same questions you have can get answers easily. There, I did it, I'm a jerk, kill me. (=_= ;)

How do you download on your PC? Typically, if I want to pull an image off of the Web, I drag and drop it from Safari to the Finder (usually just the Desktop, though). For web articles, I go to File -> Print, and click the "PDF" button. A menu appears, and I hit "Save as PDF." Mac OS's Preview application rapidly and natively reads PDF files, so don't worry about them being slow. For video... well, that's tough. If the page has a direct link to the video file, just right click the link and hit "Download Linked File." If its embedded in the page or in a Flash video, it's a bit tougher. But I don't know how you'd handle those on Windows either... well, welcome to MacNN!

EDIT * aw, CATS beat me to it! >_< lol.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Its a Mac, not a MAC.
Aaagh, you ruined it. That was like a premature ejaculation.

BTW; you're missing an apostrophe there mister "i'm the smartest dude at school"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Aaagh, you ruined it. That was like a premature ejaculation.

BTW; you're missing an apostrophe there mister "i'm the smartest dude at school"
Smart != perfect...

Signature depreciated.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by redhawk9 View Post
One of my (MANY) questions deals with downloading pictures from the web.
The thing you have to get used to about the MAC ( ) is that you should just try what makes sense and it usually works. In the case of pictures embedded in web pages, just click on the picture and pull it where you want to put it. It's what you'd do if you weren't used to thinking that you have to learn some nonintuitive method.

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 09:49 AM

This thread is too funny. I saw that one coming a mile away. Second, if it can be done on a Mac, it is usually in the most obvious, easiest, intuitive way possible. Enjoy.

PaperNotes
Dec 29, 2007, 10:10 AM

I sense an iPhone salesman in Lagos will come out of this.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 10:36 AM

MAC's what?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 11:27 AM

To download a image (in Safari I assume) just right-click it and click "Save Image As..."
It's possible he's having troubles with the whole "right-click" thing. Right-clicking on a Mac is not "the most obvious, easiest, intuitive way possible" since it's only possible to right click with a mighty-mouse or third party mouse. On a Mac laptop, the contextual menu typically brought up by a right mouse click is brought up by a two-fingered tap on the track-pad (nice, but certainly not intuitive). If he's got a older Apple mouse, a "right-click" is a control-click, incredibly non-intuitive.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 11:33 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the two finger trackpad click and Mighty Mouse right click disabled by default?

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 11:42 AM

The right most item in practically every menu is "Help." Do not be afraid of it. It's actually not that hard to use.

Although it totally blows in 10.5 where it floats above what you're working on. Why, Apple? Why??

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 11:49 AM

Out of the box, from what I remember, the mighty mouse is one button.

Keep in mind, sometimes there are as many as four ways to do the same exact thing in OSX.

For a beginning computer user, right clicking and contextual menus might be the least intuitive anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 11:58 AM

The Mighty Mouse has a BUNCH of buttons-FOUR configurable buttons: left, right, scroll ball, and side buttons. They can be set to do all sorts of stuff, including starting any app you might want to. Which for a new user may be WAY too much flexibility. I'd stick with left=primary, right=secondary, and whatever the default is for the others (I think it's scroll=Dashboard and sides=ExposƩ). Right-clicking isn't exactly "intuitive", but neither is left-clicking; the paradigm I've seen work best is "left click to select, right click to get options." Works for tens of thousands of new Windows users every day, so why shouldn't it work well for a new Mac user?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2007, 12:39 PM

I think redhawk is Abe..

redhawk9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 07:41 PM

It's a Mac, not a MAC. A MAC is a network address. (are you happy now iMOTOR and gradient )

What problems are you having when downloading stuff? What formats are these articles in, .pdf? To download a image (in Safari I assume) just right-click it and click "Save Image As...". Videos, depending on the format, are harder to download.
Tried-doesn't work (and whether refered to as Mac or MAC is irrelevant for purposes of the question)

redhawk9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 07:50 PM

Well, I got one answer that was helpful-dragging from the web page to the desk top and then to a file. I wasn't aware spelling, punctuation and other irrelevant topics were going to be counted against me..... but then again, I should have known a long time ago, if you make one mistake when you ask a tech question, everyone becomes a critic....

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 07:53 PM

Go into your System Preferences (Apple Menu > System preferences)

Click Keyboard and Mouse

Go to the Mouse Tab. Configure the mouse buttons the way you like them. Most importantly, change the right side of the mouse to "secondary button." Then you should be able to right-click.

Alernatively, simply click and drag the image from Safari onto your desktop.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 08:36 PM

Well, I got one answer that was helpful-dragging from the web page to the desk top and then to a file. I wasn't aware spelling, punctuation and other irrelevant topics were going to be counted against me..... but then again, I should have known a long time ago, if you make one mistake when you ask a tech question, everyone becomes a critic....
Don't worry about them. They meant no harm. It's one of the Mac user's pet peeves is all. You'll be the same way in a year or so.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. It's a different world you're in now- but you'll learn to love it.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 29, 2007, 08:44 PM

Well, I got one answer that was helpful-dragging from the web page to the desk top and then to a file.
Give us a link or a specific example of what you are trying to do and we can tell you specifically how it can be done on a Mac. Your first post was very general and there are several ways to do what you are asking. It would also be helpful to tell us how you did it on a PC so that we can also give you an equivalent on a Mac. This way we'll know exactly what you are asking.

I wasn't aware spelling, punctuation and other irrelevant topics were going to be counted against me..... but then again, I should have known a long time ago, if you make one mistake when you ask a tech question, everyone becomes a critic....
They were just joking. I don't think it was anything personal, but a word of advice is that if you want a serious answer it would be best not to post in the lounge section. This post would probably have been better placed in the Mac OS X or Application sections. Most people on this forum are nice though.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 08:59 PM

We do tend to be a little touchy about "MAC" versus "Mac." It's kind of like getting your name spelled right. And our grammar and punctuation enforcement division is made up completely of volunteers-who even volunteered to invent the division. Don't take any of that seriously. Having more people enjoying Macs is what it's all about. Welcome!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN

redhawk9, Apple has some useful resources that help you to migrate from Windows to Mac:

Apple - Support - Switch 101

In particular the following article that is linked from the page above explains the major differences/Mac equivalents and also tells you how to right-click on Mac:

Switch 101: On Windows, I used to...

zro
Mac Elite

So recommending using the Help system in OS X isn't helpful, even though you'll get more answers from it faster than asking on a forum?

That almost makes me sad.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
So recommending using the Help system in OS X isn't helpful, even though you'll get more answers from it faster than asking on a forum?

That almost makes me sad.
When a good suggestion is buried in a bunch of chaff, it's hard to see it. When it's buried in a lot of guff, it's harder still.

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 09:34 PM

Mmmm.. Chaff 'n' Guff.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
And while I'm at it, the it would be proper to say "videos," not "video's," since you're talking about a plural, not a possessive. And its better to have replies issued here, and not via email, that way other people with the same questions you have can get answers easily. There, I did it, I'm a jerk, kill me. (=_=
What does "the it" mean? And for its don't you mean it's? If this is going to be a grammar correction thread, let's at least get our own grammar right!

Otherwise the OP might think teh MAC's NN are for no0b's.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
chaff ... guff
...wow.

Not one, but two words I have never seen before. I feel like I should give you some kind of prize.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 01:02 AM

I believe Chaff 'n Guff was a medieval fast food chain reknowned for its lard-fried corn husks and community vomitorium.

Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 03:08 AM

It dates back to 1272, I think. You can still find them in parts of rural Ohio and Illinois.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2007, 03:15 AM

And a legend is born.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2007, 03:23 AM

I hope that community vomitoriums make a resurgence... There aren't any in my town

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 03:27 AM

You have Fuzzy Wombat, isn't that enough?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2007, 04:54 AM

Kerrigan: good point, although what about people that don't have access to the internet, or the odd person left on this planet that hasn't heard of Fuzzy Wombat yet?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I hope that community vomitoriums make a resurgence... There aren't any in my town
You said "vomitorium" and "resurgence" in the same sentence. I laughed.

I'm just not sure what that has to do with the subject of this thread... I've been away for a couple of minutes...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 09:17 PM

helllo im new to the web is there somebody here who can hope me put the internet on my iMAC?

Seriously, welcome over from teh dark side, redhawk9!
For images, just drag & drop em. Text, copy/paste (command+a to select all, command+c, switch to text program, command+v, save text file). For entire web pages formatting and all, File> save as... then choose Web Archive, and a destination on your drive.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2007, 10:01 PM

Wait: Your e-mail address is really "rimmer" at something.com?

(sorry, really - it's terribly late (3 a.m.)and I just got home from work, and I'd normally try to be helpful, but that just stuck out at me)

Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 10:01 PM

And the command key is the key with the apple on it, if you purchased your MAC before mid-August.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2007, 10:09 PM

Otherwise it's the one with the cloverleaf on it.

Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 10:10 PM

... that says "command"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wait: Your e-mail address is really "rimmer" at something.com?

Nothing else to say about that one.

redhawk9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 12:58 AM

[email protected]

Charachter from Terry Brooks series : THE HERITAGE OF SHANARA-Rimmer Dal-the main badguy in the story

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 01:53 AM

Why got dude banninated ?

-t

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why got dude banninated ?

-t
Spelling it MAC is a bannable offense now.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Spelling it MAC is a bannable offense now.
A good thing too

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 02:32 AM

Nah, he really got banned for being a rimmer.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2008, 02:53 AM

He got banninated because I'm a retard. I came across his last post in my spam hunts and mistook it for... spam.

The reversal is already in progress.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2008, 09:41 AM

Lovely grammar, turtle! Yes, oopses happen sometimes (especially with new users who "don't know our ways"). But it's fixed, so "sorry, redhawk9, but your post smelled spammish."

Forum Links
Forum Rules