Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Upgrading, Erasing data on old iPhone

Upgrading, Erasing data on old iPhone
HamSandwich
Jun 15, 2009, 10:15 AM

For anyone that got the 3G after having a 2G iPhone and wanted to erase all data on the 2G before selling it - would like you feedback. Here is what I think the process will look like:

1. Activate new 3GS
2. Sync it so it brings all my data/apps over
3. Erase all data from 2G using built in data wipe without needing to hook it up to iTunes
4. Sell old iPhone to buyer

I am pretty sure the new iPhone will come with a new SIM because I think the buyer needs a SIM in the 2G to activate or use it on his AT&T account.

As I was writing this, I found this AppleInsider | Secure data wipe built into iPhone Software v2.0 which I had not known about. Seems pretty straight forward now - I originally thought I'd need to connect to iTunes to erase old iPhone which I'd be afraid would cause problems.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 10:52 AM

There is no reason to leave your old SIM in your 2.0 iPhone when you sell it. The buyer should provide his/her own SIM card or they can get one from their carrier.

HamSandwich
Jun 15, 2009, 04:47 PM

Unless they want to use it as an iPod / WiFi internet device then they will need a SIM card in the phone: Using an original iPhone without a wireless service plan

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jmakkar View Post
Unless they want to use it as an iPod / WiFi internet device then they will need a SIM card in the phone: Using an original iPhone without a wireless service plan
I fully understand that. My point is that they can provide their own SIM card - either one they already have in a current phone or one they get from an AT&T store.

My point is that there is no reason for you to send them your SIM card.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2009, 11:30 AM

Precisely. Your SIM is "burned" anyway. It cannot be re-activated on another number.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Forum Links
Forum Rules