Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail: Alternating default email account possible?

Mail: Alternating default email account possible?
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2010, 06:01 PM

I have a slightly unique problem and was wondering if someone had encountered it or had a script that massages this a bit.

I currently use Mail (version 4.2, under Snow Leopard) for multiple accounts. My main accounts are:
(a) A MobileMe account and;
(b) A corporate Exchange 2007 account.

90% of the emails I send from my email client between M-F/6 AM to 6 PM are business emails. 90% of the emails I send from that email client any other time are from my personal (MobileMe) account.

Is there any script available (or can someone tell me what to key on in my own script) to alternate between default accounts based on time of day? My particular situation can present embarrassing results when I send from the wrong account.

Even better, could I simply make it somehow warn before sending each email, with an account selector?

I know, I know... the option is right there. But, when you are in a hurry and send out a hundred emails or more per day, it is easy to miss that until it's too late.

Please be kind. I'm absent minded.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2010, 06:36 PM

I know I've had the same issue. You may have to write your own plugin:

Getting Ready to Write an Apple Mail.app Plug-in for Mac OS X � Psychohistory
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 22, 2010 at 06:44 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try if I have some downtime (snow storm, long flight, etc.).
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2010, 06:04 PM

You could also do this on the server end if not the client, by sending to localhost or any other IP you wish to setup as an SMTP mail gateway that would direct your mail to a simple script and redirect accordingly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules